THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-09-2023, 02:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Craftsman tools are made in the USA

https://www.craftsman.com/support/where-its-made

I've ever had only one break and it was replaced no problem. I recently had two Craftsman torque wrenches recalibrated. Both were ?? 35 or so years old.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 61-63 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2023, 02:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61-63 View Post

I've ever had only one break and it was replaced no problem. I recently had two Craftsman torque wrenches recalibrated. Both were ?? 35 or so years old.
I have a broken one 15 years old. Where do you send them?

Old 01-09-2023, 02:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Excellent tools for us layman. Professional tools include some Craftsman stuff huh. I prefer S-K for double-box wrenches. I got treed

Old 01-09-2023, 02:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dblnkldude View Post
I have a broken one 15 years old. Where do you send them?
https://support.craftsman.com/hc/en-...RAFSTMAN-tool-

Old 01-09-2023, 03:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I quit buying Craftsman tools when the replacement ratchets for my 20 year old ratchets only lasted 6 months. That was years ago when Sears and Craftsman were both reliable names.

15 years ago, I quit buying Crapsman tools and started buying Kobalt. Much better quality and I've never broken one, despite giving them harder use.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Champ For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2023, 04:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah I have broken a lot of craftsman tools when they switched over to plastic inside and leavers from steel that was the mail in the coffin .
I have mostly bought kobalt stuff after but recently bought a craftsman set that was on special Don it’s been really good too.

My only complaint w the new set I bought is if I hold the head of the ratchet w one hand to speed the bolt out after breaking it loose my hand hits the switch easy and it slips the old ones didn’t do that . But otherwise they’ve been very strong and reliable .

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!

Last edited by Stuart; 01-09-2023 at 05:23 PM.
Old 01-09-2023, 05:14 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
That’s great info. Thanks

Old 01-09-2023, 05:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

Odd, the last Craftsman ratchets, sockets and wrenches I looked at were made in Taiwan; the same as Kobalt. This was in December. I still have Craftsman wrenches, sockets and extensions I had when I started as a power plant mechanic’s apprentice in 1983. Can’t say that about my Snap On, Proto and Cornwall tools. I would love to find a complete set of Craftsman wrenches ( in good condition) like the set my dad had. He bought his right after he got home from Korea in 1954.

Dr. Thomas Sowell

Last edited by hurryinhoosier62; 01-09-2023 at 05:44 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hurryinhoosier62 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2023, 06:11 PM
Boost Engineer

I have two tool boxes with Craftsman tools bought years ago, American Made.

Two tool boxes made by Snap-on with Snap-on tools.
I used to have a Snap-on Truck Driver friend that always gave me a really good discount.

8 Harbor Freight tool boxes (6 are the add on chests to the side of the two large commercial 44" Roller Cabinets.)

I bought those years ago and have been very happy with them, considering they are offshore made.
The Roller Cabinets have matching 44" Top Chests.

I have so many chests/cabinets because I have a workshop in a "Out Building) I built,
Mostly Welding stuff and Lawn Mower maint tasks.

A workshop for doing Car mechanic work in my garage.

And a Work Shop in my basement for my Holley Carbs builds.

Too much trouble going back and forth in and out of the house or garage for tasks.

You only really need tools for what you are working on but I like limiting "my steps"
and not wasting time.

That will all change once my Morton barn gets put up. Everything will be done in one location.
So two of the three brands I own are American Made but I have owned all three types for at least 20 years.

Tool Boxes are CHEAP vs constantly wasting valuable time. Time is everything.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2023, 06:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My (late) wife got me a set of Craftsman pass throughs. No complaints and good to get into the tight places on my 87 Ford diesel. I've had Craftsman tools for years and never any complaints. My Craftsman line wrenches do better than my Snap On's.

A poor man has poor ways.
The Following User Says Thank You to A.W.Dille For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2023, 06:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

After posting this topic on here and the 348-409 forums and reading some of the comments I got back I researched Craftsman and Kobalt tools. I'm not sure all Craftsman tools are made in the US based upon what I've read but it looks like they are moving that way if they aren't there yet. They opened a new 450,000 sq. ft. manufacturing facciity in Fort Worth in 2019 to manufacture hand tools. It would not surprise me that there is still stuff on the shelves from Tiawan and China that are Craftsman. Kobalt has most if not all of it's stuff manufactured in Tiawan. Craftsman hand tools are still guaranteed for life and Kobalt has a 30 day guarantee from what I read.

The Following User Says Thank You to 61-63 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2023, 06:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The truth is I have much more faith in hand tools made in Taiwan, than I do tools sourced from global (china) sources, and assembled in the US.

I first bought crapsman in 1971 when I was beginning my career as a mechanic. In 1977 when I took a breaker bar back to the sears store for replacement, because the knuckle had sheared off, they wouldn't give me another one, even though they had them in stock. They cited the corporate policy was only to replace the knuckle, and not the complete tool, and they had no replacement parts in the store. I had a head gasket job to do the next day, and it surely would be much easier if I had the breaker bar. But no way I could talk the moron in charge into replacing my broken tool with a new one. If you're making your living with your tools you don't want someone to recite their policy to save the company $5 by inconveniencing you by changing the rules on broken tool replacement. They also started only replacing the guts on ratchets about the same time too. If they were out of replacement parts when you came in, you had to make another trip to get the kit installed.

They even had the warranty on the wall in the tool department, but they weren't going to honor it that day. I swore off crapsman tools that day, and I doubt I've bought any since then. I happened to be looking for a new lawn mower that day too, and I didn't purchase one from sears after that exchange.

I started buying off the tool trucks after that incident, and Snap on or Mac were much better tools than crapsman by a long shot. I also saw the tool man once a week and never got any song, and dance about corporate policy says this, or that when it came to warranty.

Stanley, or Husky has better hand tools than crapsman does by a long shot, and they're usually quite a bit cheaper than crapsman is too. Yes, Stanley, and Husky, are made in Taiwan, but the tools compared side by side are better than crapsman tools are. I've actually never broken any of them, but I have lost them, can't blame anyone but myself for that. I'd rather buy the pro line from Harbor Freight, than buy crapsman tools.

I've never owned many Kobalt tools, because I don't like dealing with Lowes, but the few I've had were very good quality.

Tekton has a warranty that you take a picture of the tool and E mail it to them, they send you a replacement in a few days. Some of Tekton is US made, and some is Taiwan. Their warranty policy is head, and shoulders above anyone else's though. Tekton is middle of the road on most tools as far as pricing, good tools though.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2023, 06:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Taiwan makes some fine tools these days. Same country that makes some of the most complex computer chips in the world, and some of the most advanced machine tools.

There is a reason China wants Taiwan badly, Taiwanese technology is about a decade ahead of the China.

Old 01-09-2023, 07:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Most craftsman tools are not USA made anymore look at the new ratchets not made here anymore. Even your link has select products at the top. I have mostly craftsman and snap on but a little older USA stuff.

Old 01-09-2023, 08:24 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Taiwan makes some fine tools these days. Same country that makes some of the most complex computer chips in the world, and some of the most advanced machine tools.

There is a reason China wants Taiwan badly, Taiwanese technology is about a decade ahead of the China.
2X on that!

The Following User Says Thank You to Jonsie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2023, 09:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I literally have a box full of broken Craftsmen ratchets. A heavy ass box. Some are missing teeth, others have their selector snapped off, some even have the socket drive twisted straight off. Have a few where the handles are bents/twisted, and others that just locked up.

After getting sick of trying to replace or rebuild them, as soon as they break they get tossed in the box. Thankfully I'm down to only a handful of Craftsmen ratchets. When they're gone, they're gone. I've broken less Harbor Freight crap than Craftsman.

It's too bad. I have some really old Craftsmen stuff that's been passed down generations, and still works great. But I won't touch the new stuff.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
The Following User Says Thank You to 72projectbird For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2023, 09:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have always like Craftsman tools. They were a good quality for the price. I also bought Snapon , Mac, Matco and Cornwell. Usually when the tool vendor came in and I needed something right away. My Snapon timing light quit working and I was told parts are not available. Then my Matco light quit. They told me they do NOT repair anything that is out of warranty. Might as well stick with Craftsman.

The Following User Says Thank You to Goatracer1 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2023, 09:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Most of my tools were free. Tools I found in cars that I've bought and sold. Ended up with several tools out of vehicles that I repossessed and the people never came back for. I have a triple stack Craftsman rollaway that was a christmas gift about 20 years ago that is full of tools. I have buckets full of tools.. sockets.. wrenches.. etc.. One of the advantages of owning a used car lot... free tools..

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
Old 01-09-2023, 09:15 PM
Senior Chief

Apex Tool Group owned Craftsman for a few years, now Craftsman is owned by Stanley, Black & Decker. Also including Mac Tools and Proto as well as a dozen or more popular brands. Most of my tools are Snap-On that i bought 50 years ago when I wrenched full time. But I also have a second set of 60 year old Craftsman and they've been very good over the years. I work part-time at the High School Auto Shop and we have a lot of Snap-On and S-K. We recently bought some Craftsman tools and several roll-aways. We like to keep cheap tools on hand in case we need to make a special tool instead of chopping up a Snap-On. The new Craftsman tools seem decent for hobby work, but the casters on the roll-aways are horrible. Students enrolled in a school program get a huge discount on Snap-on tools. Snap-On sockets and ratchets are the best IMO.

Old 01-09-2023, 10:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72projectbird View Post
I literally have a box full of broken Craftsmen ratchets. A heavy ass box. Some are missing teeth, others have their selector snapped off, some even have the socket drive twisted straight off. Have a few where the handles are bents/twisted, and others that just locked up.

After getting sick of trying to replace or rebuild them, as soon as they break they get tossed in the box. Thankfully I'm down to only a handful of Craftsmen ratchets. When they're gone, they're gone. I've broken less Harbor Freight crap than Craftsman.

It's too bad. I have some really old Craftsmen stuff that's been passed down generations, and still works great. But I won't touch the new stuff.
My “newest” Craftsman ratchet is nearly thirty years old. It still works as good as the day I purchased it. When it finally fails, I will be look at Tekton or the Icon line from Harbor Freight.

Dr. Thomas Sowell