Non Pontiac Motors in Pontiacs includes factory 403,305,350 Chevy, Buick V6,
Also Pontiac Motors in non-Pontiacs!

Old 11-05-2004, 02:17 PM

Hello everyone....
Quick question for you all.
I am going to be pulling the 305 out of my '78 Formula soon and installing my '67 400. What all am I in need of to install this motor? I wish I would have at least had the 301, as then I would have had all the bracketry needed for the Pontiac motor. Is there any known hassels to doing this?
Also...should this combo as it currently sits have a universal bellhousing 350TH in it? Did the Formula's get those (when equipped with the 305's) or will I have to ante up for a BOP trans..in that case I will go for a 400TH.
Thanks in advance for the advice. I appreciate it.
Ben

Old 11-05-2004, 02:17 PM

Hello everyone....
Quick question for you all.
I am going to be pulling the 305 out of my '78 Formula soon and installing my '67 400. What all am I in need of to install this motor? I wish I would have at least had the 301, as then I would have had all the bracketry needed for the Pontiac motor. Is there any known hassels to doing this?
Also...should this combo as it currently sits have a universal bellhousing 350TH in it? Did the Formula's get those (when equipped with the 305's) or will I have to ante up for a BOP trans..in that case I will go for a 400TH.
Thanks in advance for the advice. I appreciate it.
Ben

Old 11-05-2004, 06:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You will need to get the kit from Nunzi or make your own to bolt to the block and have the tabs to go down to the frame mount. The frame mount is the same on all the late 70's gm cars, they just located them in different places according to which engine was used from the factory. The 70 and later engine blocks used a 3 bolt bracket as compared to the 67 block's 2 bolt mounting. Trying to modify the 70's style block bracket won't work as the blocks bolt location are different. You can make what is needed with at least a 1/4" thick but prefer a 5/16' or 3/8" thick piece of steel appox. 1 1/4" wide, about 9" long. The one hole center on the passenger side would be appox. 3/4" from the end. The other hole center which would be for the forward block bolt would be If memory serves me right 5 1/4", but just use the engine block bolt hole distance measurement to be for sure. The same way on the other side. You will need to make 4 more pieces out of the steel appox. 4" - 4 1/2" long. To get them right, you will want the other pieces already bolted on the engine and set the engine in the car. You will have to on one end cut the "tabs" at an angle to match going from the block pieces to line up with the holes in the frame mounts. This is maybe not the best explanation, but should get you going the right direction. of course when you have everything lined up, run a bolt thru the "tabs, and tack weld them to the block pieces. Unbolt everthing, and after taking them out and off the engine (don't want to weld a fresh engine up!) Weld thepieces in place. You just made your needed mounts. If you have room, extra bracing won't hurt either, such as gussets in the corners and an extra piece going from the front tab to the rear tab. Makes it alot stronger.

Old 11-05-2004, 06:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The universal trans saves you on having to get another trans and really helps on locating the engine while you make your engine mounts as it will bolt up. You scored.

Old 11-05-2004, 06:18 PM

you'll need the mount adapters for the older block to fit in that chassis. [p/y - spotts sell them]

i hope you have all the brackets with the 67 engine.

the bird may or may not have a unibolt bellhousing. some did and some didn't, from what i've seen it's kind of a crapshoot.

i'd stay with the th350 in this car as the th400 is not a bolt in. if memory serves me correctly you need a different crossmember for the th400, i may be wrong on this.

th wiring will need to be modified to accept the pontiac, chevy's starter / battery are on the opposite side.

chances are the front springs'll sag also because the pontiac's heavier than the chevy.

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 11-06-2004, 06:49 AM

Unfortunately for me..I don't have the pully's and such from my '67 motor. We DID already tap the block to accomodate the extra mounting holes, as this motor was in my previous Firebird. I will be picking up a set of motor mounts from PY or Ames though.
I never even thought about the battery being on the wrong side or even the starter wiring being on the wrong side either. How hard is it to relocate the battery? Ooof. This may be a trickier installation than I had hoped.
We'll get through it though!
Thanks for all the great information so far!!
Ben

Old 11-06-2004, 06:51 AM

Th front of this car already sits high, so hopefully the 400 will bring it back down to where it needs to be. I will have to check the suspension though to make sure that the tires don't begin to wear poorly though. Thanks!

Old 11-28-2004, 01:55 PM

FireGoat_Ben, I am currently looking for 305 accesorie brackets and ac lines for my 81 Trans Am. I have several pontiac brackets and pullies if you would be interested in a trade. Thanks.