Old 04-26-2008, 10:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default "spring ring" battery cables.

Hi guys, I need a new set of battery cables,so I was looking at PY's spring ring original style cables. I've never used these kind before,and the pics in the catalog are kind of small,so I have a few questions. Is there an actual spring that keeps tension on the battery post? Can't tell from the pic,and I just don't want bad contact between the cable and post because of lack of tension. If anyone has used these before,how did they hold up,and was the quality OK? Or should I just get the old standard bolt type?
Thanks,Drake

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It is a spring type squeeze clamp incased in lead. Originals had a tendency to lose their spring after a while. Bending them was the only way to tighten them up, wasn't much good after that.
As long as battery post and cable ends stay in like new condition, their OK. Just can't take them off and on a bunch.

Old 04-26-2008, 04:38 PM

I have them on my car and just like QS says - I wouldn't take them off or on that much. I will change them to "modern" ones when these are shot, but they're 39 years old. If it ain't broke....but I'd rather the ones with a bolt on them personally. I'm not in any contests. I've just been very lucky to get a car in very original condition.

Old 04-26-2008, 09:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the replies guys. My car is not going to be judged or anything ,but I like to keep it looking as orignal as possible,but not at the expense of dependability.Also the spring rings are about $70 for a new set. So this is why I asked the question,I'm kind of on the fence on this one. The original owner of my GTO had replaced the cables with mismatched baby blue colored cables that look out of place under my hood.
Thanks,guys

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a set that I bought from PY, and they work great. They're much better than the bolt on style in my opinon. I've found the spring action in the repros are more durable than the originals they used back in the day - they've been on my car for ten years, I take them on and off the battery terminals all the time, and they still work like new. To remove, they just need a light squeeze with a pair of pliers, and to install you simply push them on by hand, no tools needed.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I also have the spring ring battery cables. I like the simplicity of installation and removal, along with the period correct look. They have been on the car for 4 years with no issues, i remove the battery every fall and when i work on the car the ground is removed .

If you always do what you always did
You always get what you always got
Old 04-29-2008, 05:10 AM
Suspended

These are one of those components which you can update without worrying about not looking original. Much like replacing an externally regulated alternator with a modern unit. I prefer those side terminaled batteries. Make you life easier for yourself, dude

Old 04-29-2008, 03:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Some say "side mount" Not sure what that means as they look to me like they just mount on the post.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:34 AM
Suspended

Those batteries which have no posts on the surface. Instead, they have tapped holes on the side to where the cables connect using an eyelet cable end. A special bolt screws through the cable end fastening it to the battery