Old 04-23-2024, 10:11 PM

Default Cowl tag

This tag is on a 78 t/a I looked at. Pretty sure it's not correct to the car. Can someone decode it? Looks like it's a w24 in the rpo code.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4878.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	632534  

Old 04-24-2024, 12:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

W=waterborne paint and 24=Martinique Blue color. U=upper and L=lower.

Old 04-24-2024, 06:09 AM

thanks for the info but i did not see ws4 on the tag. Does that not need to be on the tag for a trans am?

Old 04-24-2024, 09:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by boardog View Post
thanks for the info but i did not see ws4 on the tag. Does that not need to be on the tag for a trans am?
On a '78 Van Nuys build I would be concerned if WS4 was stamped, all '78 VN Trans Am builds that I've owned did not have WS4.

Of note, for '78 the W for waterborne paint was stamped before the upper & lower color code. For '79 models, the W was stamped far to the right, past the trim tag color codes. The waterborne paint process was first instituted @ VanNuys for '78 F body model production, & ive never been a fan. Personal experience is the waterborne color coat (Inmont) is very thin, it would not even hold up to the mildest of polishing compounds.

Old 04-24-2024, 09:31 AM
Suspended

No, only Norwood factory did that, of the later year models. Yours has L, instead of N, which is a Van Nuys car. They didn't put WS4 or similar options there. The VIN in the windscreen tells you that.

What makes you think it isn't original to the car, just the missing WS4? Simply says a 1978 Firebird model in Martinique Blue 24. Black cloth interior. Not much else to tell from that plate.

Replied same time as OPH, not just reposting same info.

Last edited by Red80TA; 04-24-2024 at 09:37 AM.