Old 08-06-2013, 07:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Alternator wire to battery

I have a 65 GTO that I am restoring and I am upgrading the electrical system to a Delco 94amp 12si with internal regulator. I am planning on adding more electrical items to the car so I was thinking of running a bigger wire directly from the alternator to the battery with an in line fuse to handle the added accessories. My question is, if I run this new bigger wire directly to the battery can I still connect the original wire from the wire harness to the alternator that runs to the starter?

Also, since I have Edelbrock heads the original place to attach the battery ground wire to is no longer there because the original head bolts were replaced. The previous owner had the ground connected to the bolt that holds the alternator bracket to the head. Is there any place that is not recommended for connecting the battery ground because it will cause noise problems with the radio, like to the alternator itself? There is an extra bolt hole in the head above the alternator bracket, would this be an acceptable location for the battery ground?

Thanks for your help and advice,
Dale

Old 08-06-2013, 09:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Using a larger wire between the alternator and battery MIGHT allow your new high power alternator to charge the battery quicker, but using the stock harness wire to provide current to your "added accessories" will not help them a bit.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hanlon View Post
Using a larger wire between the alternator and battery MIGHT allow your new high power alternator to charge the battery quicker, but using the stock harness wire to provide current to your "added accessories" will not help them a bit.
Any added accessories will be hooked directly to the battery to benefit from the larger wire. I was wondering about leaving the stock wire connected to the alternator so it would power the original equipment through the original wire harness. Or, would it be better to leave it disconnected and the car get its power from the wire that runs from the battery to the starter? The wire from the battery to the starter is a lot bigger as well, I think it is a 2GA wire.
Thanks,
Dale