Old 12-07-2017, 11:56 AM

Default 57 starchief convertible

How in demand are these today? I have an opportunity to buy one but don't know anything about them except they are just a little less cool than a 57 Bonneville convert and less rare but i can't find but a couple to compare to. Will it take 3 years to sell to get my money back? or is there a list of people who are looking for one of these? This is not being looked at as an investment, tho it well could be, the car is not for sale yet, the owner is thinking about an auction but if i want it, no fees, no transport and about 10k less than "expected results" at a florida classic auction in 2018. Very clean, auto trans, p.top, ps, pb better than average condition, nice trim, gold scripts and a couple factory options too. Does run fine but will need an accelerator pump but always in heated storage and driven only a couple times a year by a very caring owner. Just curious what those in the know have to share/say. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Old 12-07-2017, 03:05 PM
Senior Chief

sounds nice to me!!I like cars that are rare and not as popular as the GTOs are .Alot depends on the price you have to pay but I think you will do okay if you buy it right. Look at NADA classic cars for a guide. Where abouts in Ohio are you? I moved to NJ from Hudson Ohio last year. I had a black 65 GP with a four speed a few years ago! 12k miles on her Good luck Fred

Old 12-07-2017, 07:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Collector Car Value Report
1957 PONTIAC STAR CHIEF 347-270hp (V8-4V) AT
Condition guide #5 #4 #3 #2 #1
2dr Convertible 7975 19775 37850 55525 77925
2dr Hardtop 3350 10075 20550 31875 46400
Safari 2dr Wagon 6825 20750 40125 55000 76900
4dr Hardtop 2150 6750 12275 17225 27200
4dr Sedan 1600 4950 9025 12650 20000
4dr Wagon 3000 8800 16675 25250 38100

Add: Deduct:
347-290hp (V8-3x2V) 35.00% 3spd manual transmission -7.00%
347-317hp (V8-3x2V) 40.00% Manual steering -3.00%
Air conditioning 12.00%
Power windows 3.00%

Collector Car Market Review
Condition Guidelines
These are condition guidelines to help assess a vehicle's condition. Keep in mind that there are many factors that affect value. For example, a "barn find" may on the surface look like a #4 or #5 vehicle, but it's time capsule character often means it is worth far more than it's condition would normally warrant.

#1 Excellent: A close to perfect original or a very well restored vehicle. Generally a body-off restoration, but a well done body-on restoration that has been extensively detailed may qualify. The vehicle is stunning to look at and any flaws are trivial and not readily apparent. Everything works as new. All equipment is original, NOS, or excellent quality reproductions. Note: cost no object concours restorations should be considered 1+ condition.

#2 Very Good: An extremely presentable vehicle showing minimal wear, or a well restored vehicle. Runs and drives smooth and tight. Needs no mechanical or cosmetic work. All areas (chassis not required) have been fully detailed. Beautiful to look at but clearly below a #1 vehicle.

#3 Good: Presentable inside and out with some signs of wear. Not detailed but very clean. Body should be straight and solid with no apparent rust and absolutely no rust-through anywhere. Shiny, attractive paint but may have evidence of minor fading or checking or other imperfections. Runs and drives well. May need some minor mechanical or cosmetic work but is fully usable and enjoyable as is.

#4 Fair: runs and drives OK but needs work throughout the vehicle. Body shows signs of wear or previous restoration work. Any rust should be minimal and not in any structural areas. Cosmetics, body, and mechanics all need work to some degree.

#5 Poor: In need of complete restoration, but is complete and not a rust bucket beyond repair. May or may not run. Not roadworthy.

Old 12-07-2017, 07:45 PM
Suspended

Why does it matter how much of a demand there is? The only thing that should matter is if you like it. A friend of mine loves 57's. So much so that he has several including a Bonny convertible and a Super Chief convertible that is some special model that only came in pink.

Old 12-07-2017, 08:38 PM
Senior Chief

Got to work with my Father years ago restoring 2 excellent examples.. I will tell you this as he learned, be sure all of the chrome / trim is there and at least in a restorable condition. Repair and polish of the stainless as well as all the chrome work can eat up 50% of your resto costs.. If you plan on short term ownership you would probably take a loss because of that expense. Just check with some chrome shops of what the front grill, bumper, etc could cost, Scarey!!! LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	469642   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	61
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	469643  

Last edited by rwfisher; 12-07-2017 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Pics
Old 12-08-2017, 10:48 AM

Hi Fred, that not being as popular as a gto is kind of my problem. I can't afford to drop over $40k to drive it twice a year with the maintenance, insurance, storage etc. Thinking about it as a way to enjoy it for a couple years then repay the raided ira if i could sell it in a week but would not want to have it for sale for years to recoup my $$. I am in the Wadsworth area, a few miles from Hudson and kind of remember that GP if you had it at the Solon cruise a few years ago.

Doug, that is very helpful, thanks. This car is almost exactly between #2 & #1 in condition and price according to that list. I almost wish it was in average condition , it would make my decision easier, pass cause i know i can't afford to restore one but the fact it is pristine and in need of nothing but an accelerator pump makes my head spin.

Chief, only because this is way out of my league $$$ wise, you know, just layin around cash so I would probably want to keep it a short time to enjoy it one time in my life as opposed to not. Someone once said I buy what i want to enjoy and don't worry about the money, until I would rather have the money and remember the enjoyment. I retired after 30 years and have all the time now to enjoy things like that but retirement don't pay that well. And bustin 50 large out of a fund with an already questionable longevity makes me nervous to think about being the guy that was too dumb to buy what he could afford and wait years trying to sell it to one of the 10 people on the planet who want one. Ask your buddy if he would like to have another one in a couple years then I will stop worrying about it and transfer the title monday (just kidding).

RW, that is one of the reasons i am infatuated with this car. The chrome and trim inside and out is as perfect as the rest of it. The owner is kind of well known and passing it to me as a favor as we have known each other for a long while, he does not have to sell it but he is involved in other motorsports full time and just drives it a couple times a year anymore. No resto here, best of the best. Which may be too much for me, i would feel better if it weren't so perfect, don't know if i would be comfortable with that. Usually, I don't worry about stone chips doing burnouts and slamming gears in my old gp. This is different, i may not be a #1 kind of guy.

Thanks for all the thoughts and feedback. I'll post again if I pull the trigger.

Old 12-08-2017, 11:15 AM
Suspended

Being that it is a convertible and a '57 on top of that, I cannot see a way you could lose unless the car is a bondo-bucket.

But, I will mention it to my buddy that there may be another one coming down the pike.

Old 12-09-2017, 12:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

From your comments ( "...I can't afford to drop over $40k..."), ("...bustin 50 large out of a fund ...") it appears that you can buy the car for somewhere between $40K and $50K. That amount is within the range of a #3 condition car but you are comfortable that the car is at least a #2 condition which is several thousands of dollars more than the $50K. It seems that at $50K, the car is a bargain, especially since it is a "no fees, no transport" situation.

If it is a #2 or better car, there is plenty of value in it above a $50K purchase price. As discussed above, the cost of restoring front end chrome (and rear bumper chrome) on the 57's is a major, major part in restoring a 57 so if the car's chrome is as good as you indicate, the car is easily a $50K car.

P.S. The only Pontiac prettier than a 57 convertible is a 57 Bonneville!

Old 12-09-2017, 08:59 AM
Senior Chief

I think that this car is not a car for you. I too have had a few of these near perfect cars and always was worried about them when I took them out. I now have nice driver quality cars that I enjoy driving and not worrying about every thing! If you want to keep it in a garage and just look at it then buy it. otherwise pass on it. Fred