Old 12-18-2012, 01:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Smile Another 71 Judge Found

Here is a story about a 1971 Judge that lost it's identity for close to 35 years until it was saved from the crusher by a good neighbor.

Originally sold new at H.L. Pierce Motor Sales in Elgin, IL (dealer code 10-395) this 1971 Judge was then run hard for the first three years until it ended up at a used car dealer in Rice Lake, WI. By 1974 the original 455HO was either blown up, or swapped out intentionally. The kid who bought the car off that used car lot thought he was buying a 71 LeMans that had the Judge stripes and spoiler added since a 350 2bbl engine was under the Ram Air hood. There was a close ratio 4 speed transmission and 12 bolt safety track behind it which still made it a fun car. It looked the part of a Judge even though it was not. (or so he thought)

For the next two years he enjoyed the car and won numerous street races in and around Eau Galle, WI. Sometime in 1976 the Judge was T-Boned hard by a Ford F-250 pickup. The GM mandated side impact reinforcements undoubtedly spared the kid's life however the Judge was crippled badly. The Judge was driven home and parked in the Dad's hayloft until they figured out what to do with the mangled Poncho. Nine months later while bringing a load of hay back from Canada an 18 wheeler crash claimed the life of the Judge owner. His father and brother forgot about the Judge as it languished in the hayloft for another 30 years. During that time only 3 people outside the family ever saw or even heard about the car, however the Judge spoiler and glovebox door managed to go missing while the car sat unattended.

During the summer of 2006 as the father was getting older and the family property was getting cleaned up, the brother finally decided to do something about the forlorn Judge. Still believing his brother had purchased a 71 LeMans all those years ago, he decided he would simply scrap the car at the local salvage yard. As he rolled the car outside the barn in preparation to haul it away, the next door neighbor stopped by to check in with the brother. The friendly neighbor knew the history of the car from back in the day and suggested he run the numbers just in case the car was something special. After all it had the spoiler, glovebox emblem, close ratio 4spd, and 12 bolt posi so who knows, maybe it was a rare car. Neither knew to check the vin for the 242 prefix, and after a cursory search on the internet the brother found the PHS site and ordered his packet.

A week later the PHS documentation arrived and lo and behold his brother's "LeMans" turned out to be a Quezal Gold, Black Interior 71 Judge built at the Fremont assembly plant. Factory options included close ratio 4spd, safe-t-track rear axle, G70-14 White Letter Tires, AM Radio, 8 Track Stereo, Console, Custom Sport Steering Wheel, Honeycomb Wheels, Wheel Opening Mouldings, Door Edge Guards, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Electric Rear Window Defogger, Spring/Shock Ride Handling, Rally Gauges & In-dash Tach. ULTRA COOL.

The Judge was saved from the scrapper with all factory options still present save for the original engine, and is now being treated to a frame off restoration in memory of his late brother.

I found out about this Judge about a year ago when the owner contacted me after finding my website and was asking about finding a body guy and an engine for a 71 Judge. We kept in contact and when he was ready to restore the car, I suggested by current body shop in Elk Mound, WI which just happened to be only 20 miles away for him. When he showed up to get an estimate on the repairs, my body guy discovered this was the same car he had heard about, and been searching for over the last 15 years! Needless to say he got the job and is now underway with the restoration. I took these photos myself when I was out at the body shop checking on my Matador Red car. The 71 Judge is incredibly original save for the 350 engine swap and the accident damage. I have seen the PHS myself and it is the real deal. Interesting to note the car has clear glass however the electric defrost rear window is soft ray tinted.

Email jbr69gto@gmail.com

My Website www.minnesota-muscle.com

Old 12-18-2012, 01:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool story John
Thanks for sharing it and the pics with us.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:11 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Love the story and pictures! A ''reach back'' in time.

Time stands still on such a car, especially when the car is rare and driven hard!

Old 12-18-2012, 08:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Great story, except for the owner part.

Smooth front hood - check the cowl dates for us. Good colors glad it's being saved.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 12-18-2012, 08:24 AM

Default 71 gto Judge

Neat thanks for sharing your experiance

1973 SD 455 TA Auto
1974 SD455 TA 4 Spd
Old 12-18-2012, 08:57 AM
Suspended

Default 71 judge

is this story for real or is this a frank rizzo story

Old 12-18-2012, 09:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I love the real life stories of those Judges.

Elgin, IL is a long way to Rice Lake, Wi, and back to Eau Claire.

Mine has the Wisco history too, as well as the other barn find 71 Judge 3 speed.

I wonder if those 71 Judges crossed paths in Wisco? Surprised it was a Z car too...

Old 12-18-2012, 09:24 AM
Senior Chief

That car looks pretty solid too, straiten out the roof line and install an NOS quarter, and it should be on its way, really cool find, another example of they are still out there.

1970 GTO Pepper Green 400 YS auto Factory A/C 56K orig miles
Old 12-18-2012, 10:36 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Very Cool, real solid looking car, Thankfully its being saved along with an interesting story. History in the Re-making!

Old 12-18-2012, 12:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Don't mean to hijack the thread but I noticed the steering wheel in the car. I have a chance to buy a real nice one, with horn button, but no idea what it's worth. Any thoughts and does anyone need one of them? Thanks

Old 12-18-2012, 12:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks like it can be fixed. Neat car. Reminds me of my 1971 gold GT-37 I sold a while back that too was from a Wisconsin dealer.

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The way those pics look, it appears that the frame might have escaped severe damage - what a FIND!

2008 GMC Sierra Denali 2WD Crew, L92 6L80E, Silver w/ Ebony guts, 14.26 @ 98
Old 12-18-2012, 02:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Original Paint? Great find and story. You know a lot of that stuff will buff right out.

Anyway that QG Judge will look sweet with a set of honey's on there. This car and the story behind it are destined for one of the muscle car magizines! Thanks for sharing.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Great read... and save! Interesting about the electric rear defog glass, I would imagine that they were only available in Soft-Ray?

Old 12-18-2012, 02:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

How correct are they going to try to make it? I have a set of heads completely restored, intake and crossover, aircleaner with brackets, and the ramair hood pan if that happens to be missing...oh and a correct alternator. Also have a late '70 early '71 block, if this was an early '71(9799140). Oh and the ramair exhaust manifolds.....I've been saving up for a 4 speed find if it ever happens.
Doug

70 SPECIAL ORDER SABLE BLACK 4SPEED III JUDGE
70 ATOLE BLUE AUTO GTO
69 C.RED 4SPEED III JUDGE
67 WHITE 4SPEED 400 VERT FIREBIRD
65 MAIZE 4SPEED TRIPOWER VERT GTO
65 TURQ. 4SPEED TRIPOWER VERT GTO

WANTING A IV......
20 other non-pontiacs which need to be thinned down so I can buy more PONTIACS
Old 12-18-2012, 07:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobi View Post
is this story for real or is this a frank rizzo story
who is frank rizzo

Old 12-18-2012, 08:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Frank Rizzo was the mayor of Philly!

Old 12-18-2012, 10:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I thought he sold used cars in down state New York

Old 12-18-2012, 10:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The question is not who is Frank Rizzo, but what is Frank Rizzo?

Some one once told me it's a secret ingredient they put on Pizza to make it taste good

Old 12-18-2012, 11:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

John, he needs to drop the gas tank and see if the build sheet is still there. I'd like a copy.