Old 07-15-2007, 06:40 PM

Question How do I obtain the correct drive trane dates for 66 GTO 4Spd, trips, AC?

OK,

I found a 66 GTO that I am going to buy. It is a 66 hdtp, 4spd, Tripower, AC car, but is missing the engine trans and tripower. The build sheet which I have shows an invoi ce date of 9-30-65...So If I search for the right motor and Trans for this car...what date coding would be correct?? How important is this data for a car that will be restored and driven? The fact that it is an orig 4spd, tripower car with A/C seems unique to me plus it was painted black with fawn interior color.

The build sheet says it is to be a WS motor, 323 gears yadda yadda...

Any input would be great. Also need to track down all these parts mentioned above.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

the build dates should be prior to the date ogf the car

Old 07-16-2007, 09:50 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hey Joe,

Where was your GTO built? That can make a difference in casting dates. If GTO was built in Pontiac, Michigan, designated by the "P" in the VIN#, the casting dates will usually be within a couple weeks of the body build date. The Pontiac Plants in Pontiac, Michigan were in a sprawling complex. The Fisher Body Plant was across the street from Pontiac Assembly (known as Plant 6). Cars were shipped via conveyor on a bridge over the street from Fisher Body to Pontiac Assembly. Next door, in a connected building was Pontiac Engine Assembly (known as Plant 9). All the Pontiac engines at this time came from Plant 9 in Pontiac, Michigan. If your GTO was built in Baltimore or Kansas City etc., the casting dates will need to be more than a month prior to the build date of the car due to having to ship the engines to these plants from Pontiac, Michigan.

My 66 GTO was built at the Pontiac Plant and has the original engine. Engine casting date was K 10 5 (November 10, 1965) Both 1966 093 heads are K 13 5. The Intake Manifold was K 8 5. No readable casting dates on the exhaust manifolds, only part numbers. So all cast engine parts were very close in casting date codes.

The body build date for my GTO was 11 C 2 (November, 3rd week, 2nd shift) on the Data Plate and 11 22 5 on the PHS Billing History. This translates to November 22, 1965 2nd Shift.

So the earliest casting date was November 8th (Intake Manifold) compared to the body build date of November 22nd. A total of only 14 days apart.

Maybe others with GTOs with their original engines that were built at the other plants can provide their casting date and body build date info. Good luck in finding your parts! Jim

Old 07-16-2007, 10:51 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks for sharing this valuable data.

This car was built in Kansas City. The invoice date on the build sheet shows an invoice date of 9-30-5.... so this means the block, heads and intake must be dated 8-30-05 or sooner??

Are the 1965 GTO 389 motors the same as the 1966 other than the fact that the tripower carbs were different??

Old 07-16-2007, 10:55 AM

Joe,
My 66 tripower has a 03A [first week March] build date with the block and heads being B21 and the intake B13. Car was made in Framingham, Mass
John

Old 07-16-2007, 11:23 AM

Default reply

Thanks for the reply...

Wow the casting dats is that early and it is a 66??

Very good info.

Old 07-16-2007, 02:20 PM

Thats 1st week of March 1966
John