The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 06-17-2007, 10:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Shelf life of auto paint?

My dad seems to be approaching his restoration of his '67 442 in a backwards fashion. He's bought the redline tires and the paint, but he hasn't done anything with the body.

How long can he store the new, unopened paint before I need to get up there to Michigan and take care of this car for him?

Old 06-17-2007, 11:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The paint should keep for many years. It needs to be kept from freezing temps, though. I have used single stage, base coats, lacquers and enamels that were in my cabinet for several years, with no problems. It's the hardeners that you really have to be careful about.
I think the hardeners have a more limited shelf life, even factory sealed. Any hardeners that get opened will begin to go bad sooner. I'm sure the time frame varies with any manufacturers paint line.

Old 06-17-2007, 12:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool - Thanks. He just told me today that he bought the paint and tires last year. Hasn't touched the car since he parked it back in '84 or so. At least it's inside.

Old 06-17-2007, 07:07 PM
Senior Chief

i have always been told to keep paint in a cool, dry, place. avoid extreme heat & freezing temps.