Old 04-06-2024, 05:22 PM

Default 71 TA w/ M22. trans. Driveshaft question?

I was looking at 1971 books and came across prop shaft usage chart. If I’m reading correctly looks like for F body with 3.42 (which I have) the D-shaft was same length (48”) and with the same trans yoke??? No difference between shaft from auto to manual? Is that correct?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7822.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	631656  

Old 04-06-2024, 05:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Same length (48.55), and with your Muncie the same tranny yoke. (big, 32 spline)

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 04-14-2024, 09:08 AM

Question on the drive shaft ends:
1-Trans yoke ? 32 spline output from M-22/T400 to a 3R series U-joint? (Spicer 5-795X u-joint?). Also long (7 5/8 end to center of joint) or short (5 3/8 end to center of joint)???

2-Pinion flange end again Spicer 5-795X u-joint? I measured my pinion flange on diff and it comes in at 3 5/8 wide with 1 1/8 end cap width. this joint uses inside retainer clips like stock pontiac.

Thanks for help

Old 04-14-2024, 02:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If your driveshaft and yoke/pinion are original, use the factory u-joint for it.
My problems were always using a old M20 tanny with the newer TH400 shaft, which did require a conversion joint. Or a chevy shaft to a Pontiac.
I have some conversion joint numbers but they are over 20 years old. Your numbers I don't have. Doesn't mean they are correct though.

You have the bigger tranny output yoke or looking for one? The shorter one is probably what came on it originally? (on Firebirds I have seen)

The rear end if not changed should fit if a Pontiac shaft?
(other problem I had with chevy shaft, it wouldn't mate to my 12 bolt)

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 04-15-2024, 07:48 AM

Thank you for the response. My car still has the original (born with) engine, trans, & rear. The unfortunate part is the original drive shaft didn’t make it back from the bodyshop. I am now left with the task of reproducing one. I have located a DS from an early base bird. The trans yoke and pinion joint are wrong, but i can change those. The shaft itself is 48.5” in length. Which is the stock length I need. I believe I have found an original short trans yoke (32 spline). After measuring the pinion flange on my diff ( 1 1/8" end cap width diameter, &. 3 5/8” end to end) I’ve determined the SPICER 5-795X would fit. That joint is listed for the GM 3R series. It also has the “C” clip retainers on the inside (Pontiac Style). Once I receive all the individual parts, my hope is they all play nice together. I am crossing my fingers that my Frankenstein experiment works!!! In theory it should, but I’m sure I may have to tweak a few things.

The Following User Says Thank You to MDSHARK81 For This Useful Post: