EFI Tech All things EFI and making classics modern!

Old 03-11-2006, 11:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default HEI 7 pin modification

Kriser,You have mail

Old 03-11-2006, 09:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Received with many thanks!

Cheers
Kris

Old 03-12-2006, 08:05 PM

Default Accel TBI

[COLOR=Blue]I have been planning to convert my Grand Am to fuel injection since last year and like many of you I have spent alot of time researching it. If money wasn't the issue, I would buy either the Accel DFI or the FAST system and use the Edelbrock manifold/fuel rail. Since I am on a limited budget like most of you, I am in the proccess of piecing a modest EFI system together.

I purchaced a used Accel TBI unit on Ebay last year. The nice thing about this piece is that you can use it basically like a carb setup, using a stock type air cleaner and a stock type of intake manifold. (You can't use a drop base lower air cleaner assembly. The lower piece from the GM truck TBI motors works just fine). If you want to later convert to multi-port EFI you can use the Accel unit as the air-door. The Accel unit flows 750cfm. The butterfly valves will flow 1000cfm, but there are restriction bulges just above them. If you mill out the bulges the unit will flow the 1000cfm.

Pontiac made a computer controlled HEI distributor for the 1981 4.9 motors. I found one at a local pick-a-part. It appears to be the same dimensions as other Pontiac distributors. This HEI has a 7-PIN connector.

I am going to buy the MegaSquirt 2 computer, most likely preassembled. I think that I like the wiring harness from Autonomics. By the way you can buy the Accel throttle body from them for only $75.00. This is just for a bare unit, the throttle position sensor and the IAC motor are extra. Here is their site: http://www.auto-nomics.com/index.html COLOR]

Old 03-12-2006, 11:03 PM

Default HEI Conversion

Ollie, would it be possible to get a copy of your HEI conversion? I have a distributor out of an 81 Vette. This gives me the 7 pin module and necessary wiring harness. Will this bolt into a Pontiac HEI housing? Or does it have to be massaged?
Thanks,Andrew
Corvettedr@yahoo.com

Old 03-13-2006, 07:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well Well Well... I'm definately an EFI convert now. I finally got my Megasquirt2 v3.0 running on my 400 and judging by how it initially ran with just a base stock map and stock enrichment (severely rich too!)... I'll never run a carb again unless I am in a serious mess.

DIY EFI just paid itself off for me tonight! More news come the weekend when I have it wired & loomed properly and start on the tuning. Thank god for DIY WideBand too!

Old 03-19-2006, 12:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

keep teh MS info coming, guys!
details, more info, problems, please!

Old 03-19-2006, 01:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You guys have me seriously considering EFI for my '73 TA. This is an excellent thread with good info but I would like to see more pics. Can I get EFI to work and still have my shaker?

She woke up sunny side down and I was still thinking I was too proud to flip her over
Old 03-19-2006, 03:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Corvette
Ollie, would it be possible to get a copy of your HEI conversion? I have a distributor out of an 81 Vette. This gives me the 7 pin module and necessary wiring harness. Will this bolt into a Pontiac HEI housing? Or does it have to be massaged?
Thanks,Andrew
Corvettedr@yahoo.com
The module needs to be massaged but it is something that a little JB Weld
will take care of
I Emailed you a copy of the instructions.

Last edited by Ollie; 03-19-2006 at 03:51 PM.
Old 03-19-2006, 03:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wick
You guys have me seriously considering EFI for my '73 TA. This is an excellent thread with good info but I would like to see more pics. Can I get EFI to work and still have my shaker?
Do an EFI search on the forms.
This is one thread that always gets my pulse rate going
http://216.178.81.108/forums/showthr...&highlight=EFI

Old 03-19-2006, 04:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wick-My setup is designed to work with the stock ram air system for my car. The Victor EFI manifold is only 0.4" taller than stock and most aftermarket 4-barrel style throttle bodies are 0.25 - 1.25" shorter than a q-jet so with a spacer and the right TB you can get the height dead on.

Ollie- that's the post that caused me to buy the Kinsler TB (0.25" shorter than a q-jet). That's the only part of my system I wish I could do over. Otherwise that motor is an inspirational piece of art.

How's your project coming?

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Polished Manifold & EFI.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	46576   Click image for larger version

Name:	MotoronStand.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	46577  

Old 03-19-2006, 05:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedshopmike
keep teh MS info coming, guys!
details, more info, problems, please!
Hey Mike... Even better news... started tuning on the weekend and loving it every little bit more to be honest. I know I opted for the hardest route by tuning it on the road, but I just can't justify the cost of hiring a dyno for hours on end to map it.

I did about 20 miles with the AutoTune function enabled so it just happily mapped part throttle & cruising away until my laptop battery decided to take a dump on me

But it's definately turned it into a new car, starts everytime, dead cold no hassles, no throttle etc..

Cheers
Kris

Old 03-19-2006, 06:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi John,
I am chomping at the bit waiting for the last of the parts to arrive so I can start the engine build. I cut the webbing out of the manifold and sanded it smooth and painted it VHT silver, It isnt as nice as yours but at least it dosent have that 80 grit look. Got the Moats Ostrich and the adapter for the ECM. The Ostrich has the capibility to have 16 different programs and to switch between them in real time.

Old 03-20-2006, 12:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

krisr, you gots da wideband action or are you doing it the hard way?
if you do, you've no need of a chassis dyno, really...

Old 03-20-2006, 12:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I got me some wideband love.. I've built one of these guys... http://www.wbo2.com/2e0/kit.htm

Truely a thing of beauty if you ask me

Old 03-21-2006, 09:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

krisr - I think you're better off without a dyno. The only part of the map you can get with most dynos is WOT. Further, I don't know how you could simulate a downhill coast in gear and other real world situations on the dyno. I can't wait to be where you are in road tuning. I hoping it's as much fun as I think it will be.

John

Old 03-21-2006, 09:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

depends if the dyno can apply load or not.
most can't, some can.
'tween wideband and autotune, the hard way isn't very hard.
start rich, go from there.
keep any info coming, folks...

Old 03-21-2006, 09:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammered
krisr - I think you're better off without a dyno. The only part of the map you can get with most dynos is WOT. Further, I don't know how you could simulate a downhill coast in gear and other real world situations on the dyno. I can't wait to be where you are in road tuning. I hoping it's as much fun as I think it will be.
I thought you had yours running and tuned etc ??? Uhmmm.. I wouldn't call it fun though. I would call it more of a learning experience!!! I went for a tune session last night and had found out a couple things. With a BIG cam, forget mixtures leaner than 14:1AFR so set your general AFR to about 13.8:1 and work it richer as you get into higher load/RPM range, play with cruising spark advance if you want economy.... Knowing injector opening time is very important to the Megasquirt fueling equation! also voltage compensation for when you have your headlights on is a bit one too for night driving to keep your injector coils operating at the proper pulsewidth.

I think I might tune WOT on a dyno instead of a drag strip being a 5speed manual. Would be hard to get consistant while worrying about a lean out condition at the same time etc...

Old 03-22-2006, 08:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have it tuned at idle, no-load part throttle and WOT. All the stuff in between is a good guess right now. I have a 242/252 @ .576/574 hydraulic roller and it actually likes close to 14.5 at idle @ 0 C ambient. It tends to load up and miss if I go much richer.

I'll keep the headlights issue in mind. I have it programmed to kick open the iac when the electric fans come on to keep it from bogging under the alternator load.

I also found that rail pressure gets sensitive to fuel level when there are only a few gallons of fuel in the tank. Okay for driving but not for getting a consistent tune.

As for WOT, you might start by running out through 1st and 2nd on a back road and getting that tuned in, then do the same through the higher gears.

Old 04-09-2006, 03:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

hi guys,
updates?
progress?
regrets?

Old 04-09-2006, 04:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey Mike

Updates: Been searching for a charging problem which was a couple of things, diode pack went for a walk and the belt was completely glazed so it was slipping when the new alternator turned on, all sorted. Need to make a cold air setup now and insulate everything next.

Progress: Have managed to tune idle, part throttle and cruise. Working on just coming off idle and acceleration enrichment so gear changes (5spd manual) are smooth and safe... Slowly getting there though!... Just been trying to work out the threshold of how much fuel my engine actually WANTS and translating that on the wideband AFR display. Seems that my cam with ~245/236 @ .050, it's pushing it to go leaner than 13.5:1. I'll go for highway economy with timing then dial in cruising fuel a bit better later.

Regrets? None, love it! - I've never managed to get this car to fire first turn of the key and just idle nicely with NO choke and NO throttle assistance from a dead cold start.