Old 09-21-2012, 09:40 PM

Default Adding AC to 65 Lemans w/o factory air

I am sure there has been things brought up on this before, but I would like to get a couple of concise replies from some of you guys who really know this stuff and have done it. I am restoring a 65 lemans factory 326ci nonfactory ac car automatic. I have a 1966 389ci 325hp engine I am putting in it which has the 3 band pulley for fan, AC and PS. I plan on using the 2 speed automatic trans that came with the car. I want to put in one of the after market ac systems. and have the following questions:
1. Which aftermarket system is easiest to install and works the best? A friend of mine put a Classic Air system on a 67 El Camiono and has nothing nice to say about it. the installation of the ductwork under the dash was a bear.
2. Can I use my original radiator and radiator support with the AC system or do I have to get a bigger radiator and radiator support like the factory AC setup had?
3. Can I get by just adding a fan shroud or do I need to do more?
4. Any other advice or things to look out for.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.
Bob Duncan

Old 09-22-2012, 01:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

1. There is no easiest to install. Any time working under the dash is a bitch.
2. Can you compare an AC and a non AC radiator. I would up grade just to be safe.
4. One thing to be aware of on the early engines is mounting the AC compressor. The early engines mounted the compressor with two head bolts that are longer and had a spacer.

Old 09-22-2012, 03:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Check E-bay seller Classic Autoair. They offer a bracket to mount a Sanden compressor to the early engines using the bolt holes on the front of the head.
http://www.classicautoair.com/downlo...nts/06-403.pdf

Old 09-24-2012, 11:29 PM

Just put a vintage air in my 64 and as far as installation it was fairly straight forward and step by step. It wasn't hard to do but yes crawling around under the dash is a bear. Their sure fit kit is very complete with all the brackets for the compressor and the lines. They just have to be cut to length and crimped.

Old 09-30-2012, 12:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Someday I'll purchase one of the units, but right now I have been following which company has the best unit. I would say Vintage Air has once again stepped into the lead with their electronic controls that integrate with the original panel. The other companies are still using cables from the Pontiac levers down to their units. One Vintage Air feature that is either a great idea or a step in the wrong direction is their bringing in all the hoses through the passenger side manual vent. It really cleans up the engine compartment, but I kind of like the idea of retaining the vent for those times that it is cool enough outside to run with the windows down and both vents open to bring in the fresh air.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:02 PM

Actually, Classic has been integrating OEM controls with their systems for years in the exact same way that Vintage does. If you compare how both companies do the control integration, Classic's way is better and less likely to fail. Vintage uses as slide potentiometer with a flexible plastic shaft that bends a lot in everyday use (it has to curve about 20%), which will eventually just break. Classics potentiometer uses a heavy steel wire and a more natural in and out motion (almost no curve).

Classics system is also geared toward high performance with larger coils, larger capacity condenser, and better (and quality) designed evaporators (Classic has 7 different ones, Vintage has 1). Vintage's evaporator has internal wall that causes 40% of it's initial airflow to have to divert and feedback across it's coils.

There is a lot of misinformation out there about these two companies. Sad really. Do some searches on which system really performs, it's usually leaning toward Classic.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I thought that I read that Vintage controls were all electronic and all behind the original face plate of the heater control, while Classic still used cables to connect to their controls located at the main unit?

Very interesting on the size of the individual components. I haven't found much of anything on comparing the units except the company websites. If you wouldn't mind, could you list some reading material? I'm open to purchasing whatever is the best performing unit.