Old 09-24-2012, 06:34 PM

Damn... That is a shame..

-and wheels.
-2006 gto front and rear seats

1972 Vega
-waiting for turbo v8

1976 Nova
-owned since high school, it's been sleeping for over 15 years!
Old 09-24-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72LuxuryLeMansLa. View Post
Jray,

I apologize for being a bit thick headed here but I still don't get this part...... Are you actually plumbing the heater feed into the "intake" as in intake manifold water crossover? Or do you mean the flow goes into the "intake" on the timing cover/pump housing? May be that a picture would help me here... I have a '72 model so it may be the difference in the design of the timing cover/pump housing for the '68 is hurting my small brain
I don't know for sure that routing this one way or the other is affecting the temps but every little hindrance to proper cooling system function will add up.....
Anyway, if you could post a picture of this I would appreciate it. I'm constantly trying to learn here.

Karl

yes it went back to crossover. There are 2 ports onthe water crossover so the temp sensor can go on either side. I just t'd the heater core line from the back of the head and run another hose to the water crossover. This didn't help any so I changed it back to stock. After driving it a few miles today I still think it is timing and fuel causing my temp issues and so it continues. The hunt for the perfect timing and fueling. It was so much easier for me to reprogram my 05 GTO than to tune this car. Hopefully I will have gained a lot of knowledge from this adventure by the time its fixed.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:51 PM

I called autozone, napa, o'reilly's, advance, and pepboys and not only do none of them have them but they cant get them. I looked on ebay and didn't find them but did find a complete engine set with the head gaskets! The hunt was over and I could focus on other things. I check my ebay inbox and had a message regarding my order. They were informing me that there was a mistake with their listing and that the Victor's were not available but, the felpro's were... Back to my dilemma. Should I order custom copper gaskets for $100 each or SCE's 4.125" bore sized ones compared to the felpro 4.3". The pontiac 350 has a bore of 3.8". What do y'all think?

-and wheels.

1972 Vega
-waiting for turbo v8

1976 Nova
Old 09-25-2012, 06:55 PM

I would call Butler performance and ask them the best option.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to 1967Tempest

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatcheese View Post
I called autozone, napa, o'reilly's, advance, and pepboys and not only do none of them have them but they cant get them. I looked on ebay and didn't find them but did find a complete engine set with the head gaskets! The hunt was over and I could focus on other things. I check my ebay inbox and had a message regarding my order. They were informing me that there was a mistake with their listing and that the Victor's were not available but, the felpro's were... Back to my dilemma. Should I order custom copper gaskets for $100 each or SCE's 4.125" bore sized ones compared to the felpro 4.3". The pontiac 350 has a bore of 3.8". What do y'all think?

Look at the sponsors for this site. Many of the engine builders can get them. They might run some coin, but worth it. I don't under stand why they stopped making gaskets for 326/350. They are GREAT engines and make decent power for cheap. I have a 326 in a 4200lb wagon and you would swear it is a 400.

Here is one,.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/One-1968-197...d33d73&vxp=mtr

This one shows the correct gasket...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Victor-FS340...sories&vxp=mtr

The Burb Files
Old 09-25-2012, 07:40 PM

Jray, I actually did call Butler first and they said they don't stock any for the 326/350's.

Dave, The guy "Scott" aka Nanettestore on ebay is the guy I ordered the complete set from and he's on the hunt to see what he can find. He said his warehouse would normally let him know when something is out of stock or discontinued but, they failed to do so for these engines. I explained to him about the felpro 8518pt's being way too big and causing problems. I can't believe they haven't had there door knocked down because of this. Specifying the wrong head gaskets cause a lot of costs in labor. Not to mention if it causes engine damage.

-and wheels.

1972 Vega
-waiting for turbo v8

1976 Nova
Old 09-25-2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Jray, I actually did call Butler first and they said they don't stock any for the 326/350's.

Dave, The guy "Scott" aka Nanettestore on ebay is the guy I ordered the complete set from and he's on the hunt to see what he can find. He said his warehouse would normally let him know when something is out of stock or discontinued but, they failed to do so for these engines. I explained to him about the felpro 8518pt's being way too big and causing problems. I can't believe they haven't had there door knocked down because of this. Specifying the wrong head gaskets cause a lot of costs in labor. Not to mention if it causes engine damage.
I am very surprised by that as well.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:54 PM

I don't mean to change the direction of your post Jray but, I don't have much hair left neither. Well, on my head that is..

-and wheels.

1972 Vega
-waiting for turbo v8

1976 Nova
Old 09-25-2012, 11:03 PM

Quote:
I don't mean to change the direction of your post Jray but, I don't have much hair left neither. Well, on my head that is..
Believe me I know the feeling.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Did you check with Ace at Pacific Performance?

Karl

Old 09-26-2012, 12:06 AM

Have not. Will do.. Looks like Cometic makes some good ones and they're very specific with bore diameter and thickness but, pricey and could take a couple weeks to receive.

-and wheels.

1972 Vega
-waiting for turbo v8

1976 Nova
Old 09-28-2012, 01:12 PM

Well 195-205 is the best I have been able to achieve. Running down the road or sitting idling it stays at that temp. Even after going to the 6.5 waterpump pulley that's the best I can get. I shot several areas of the motor and radiator with the infrared and I have a wide variety of temps. Temp sender housing is 199 and the radiator is 148-168 , the heads are 178-215 and the heat crossover in the intake is 270. Any thoughts on these numbers?

Old 09-28-2012, 10:10 PM

195-205 seems okay. Not sure about the 270 in the intake but, others may know better.

-and wheels.

1972 Vega
-waiting for turbo v8

1976 Nova
Old 09-28-2012, 10:24 PM

Well, I pulled the intake and a head off today and what did I see?? A felpro 8518pt looking at me... I can't believe they haven't had their door knocked down because of the their claim that this gasket works for a 326 or 350. Whoever built this engine put some money and work into it. The intake ports have been very nicely matched to the edelbrock performer intake. Even the throttle cable bracket is very fancy and heavy duty. I'm gonna measure the lift on the cam to get an idea of what it is. It looks like I have a stock bore. I don't have a caliper and the pistons aren't stamped with a bore size. I put in an offer on ebay for a set of cometic's. 3.95" .030 thick mls gaskets.

-and wheels.

1972 Vega
-waiting for turbo v8

1976 Nova
Old 09-28-2012, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Well, I pulled the intake and a head off today and what did I see?? A felpro 8518pt looking at me... I can't believe they haven't had their door knocked down because of the their claim that this gasket works for a 326 or 350. Whoever built this engine put some money and work into it. The intake ports have been very nicely matched to the edelbrock performer intake. Even the throttle cable bracket is very fancy and heavy duty. I'm gonna measure the lift on the cam to get an idea of what it is. It looks like I have a stock bore. I don't have a caliper and the pistons aren't stamped with a bore size. I put in an offer on ebay for a set of cometic's. 3.95" .030 thick mls gaskets.
Well at least you seem to have a definite issue solver. Wish I could say the same.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:27 AM

Sounds like you may have a little air bubble issue but, doesn't sound too bad if you're driving it much without overheating now.

-and wheels.

1972 Vega
-waiting for turbo v8

1976 Nova
Old 09-29-2012, 02:15 AM
Suspended

The temps in the raditor is about right. The temps in the heads are about right, but the temps in the crossover is high because you have an air bubble in the water system. The rad is right because the rad is where it cools the water , & the heads are the hottests spot because that is where most all of the heat is produced. But that crossover is hot because it dosen't seem to have any water going through it, makeing it hotter. You should always run a car for a few min's with the cap off so all the air can get out but again if the heads or block is cracked your not going to solve your problem until you fix the problem. Now with the head gasket being blown it will stay hot. Go to your Napa parts storre & get the correct head gasket & NOT a copper one as that will only cause you problems in a short time as the copper is made for short time on & off again, not ment to stay a long time. Copper head gaskets are made for short term use under high performance use not for everyday use.

Old 09-29-2012, 04:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jray1 View Post
Well 195-205 is the best I have been able to achieve. Running down the road or sitting idling it stays at that temp. Even after going to the 6.5 waterpump pulley that's the best I can get. I shot several areas of the motor and radiator with the infrared and I have a wide variety of temps. Temp sender housing is 199 and the radiator is 148-168 , the heads are 178-215 and the heat crossover in the intake is 270. Any thoughts on these numbers?
The 270 in the crossover.... Are you aiming this temp gun at the very top of the crossover as opposed to the lower half where the coolant actually is? Sounds like you may be reading higher temps because of the air in the top half of the crossover? Your temp sender is in the crossover yes? Do the temps match or is the sender reading the coolant and the gun air temps?

Karl

Old 09-29-2012, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72LuxuryLeMansLa. View Post
The 270 in the crossover.... Are you aiming this temp gun at the very top of the crossover as opposed to the lower half where the coolant actually is? Sounds like you may be reading higher temps because of the air in the top half of the crossover? Your temp sender is in the crossover yes? Do the temps match or is the sender reading the coolant and the gun air temps?

Karl

Not the water crossover. I was talking about the heat crossover in the center of the intake that runs under the carb it was reading 270.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexs73gto View Post
The temps in the raditor is about right. The temps in the heads are about right, but the temps in the crossover is high because you have an air bubble in the water system. The rad is right because the rad is where it cools the water , & the heads are the hottests spot because that is where most all of the heat is produced. But that crossover is hot because it dosen't seem to have any water going through it, makeing it hotter. You should always run a car for a few min's with the cap off so all the air can get out but again if the heads or block is cracked your not going to solve your problem until you fix the problem. Now with the head gasket being blown it will stay hot. Go to your Napa parts storre & get the correct head gasket & NOT a copper one as that will only cause you problems in a short time as the copper is made for short time on & off again, not ment to stay a long time. Copper head gaskets are made for short term use under high performance use not for everyday use.
Where could I have an air pocket if I have the thermostat gutted so its just a slight restriction and no holding the water back?