Old 11-08-2012, 09:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jray1 View Post
Finally getting the 400 cooling the way it is supposed to. Went with the champion 3 row radiator and took a serious look at my rocker adjustment which was way to tight. After a total readjustment of the rockers it seems to be cooling just the way it should. Guessing it was my fault all along.
Friction does tend to cause heat doesn't it....Glad you got it.

Karl

Old 11-08-2012, 10:50 PM

About 2 months ago I finally discovered that I had the pos felpro head gaskets that are way to big for the Firebird 350 that we have, they claim to work okay for a 326-455..??, which was causing my overheating problem. I bought the very expensive Cometics, changed them and it's still overheating after idling for 10 min.
Yes, I checked the water pump clearances, changed thermostats, ran without a thermostat, checked timing, etc... But, like a dumbass, I didn't get the heads checked by a machine shop for warps/cracks. Was hoping to get dad's surprise Gto to him by Thanksgiving. Oh well, guess I ought to focus on my new business for now. If it takes off like I hope, I'll put a 428 or 455 in it and use this 350 in a rat rod or something. I have no doubt that this originally was caused by felpro's claim of the gaskets. It ran great, cool for hours until they blew out. I'm thinking about contacting them for costs of labor and engine damages.
Jray, did yours run good even with the valves set too tight? I'm pretty sure I didn't set them too tight but worth a look.

-and wheels.
-2006 gto front and rear seats

1972 Vega
-waiting for turbo v8

1976 Nova
-owned since high school, it's been sleeping for over 15 years!
Old 11-09-2012, 08:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to 1967Tempest

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatcheese View Post
About 2 months ago I finally discovered that I had the pos felpro head gaskets that are way to big for the Firebird 350 that we have, they claim to work okay for a 326-455..??, which was causing my overheating problem. I bought the very expensive Cometics, changed them and it's still overheating after idling for 10 min.
Yes, I checked the water pump clearances, changed thermostats, ran without a thermostat, checked timing, etc... But, like a dumbass, I didn't get the heads checked by a machine shop for warps/cracks. Was hoping to get dad's surprise Gto to him by Thanksgiving. Oh well, guess I ought to focus on my new business for now. If it takes off like I hope, I'll put a 428 or 455 in it and use this 350 in a rat rod or something. I have no doubt that this originally was caused by felpro's claim of the gaskets. It ran great, cool for hours until they blew out. I'm thinking about contacting them for costs of labor and engine damages.
Jray, did yours run good even with the valves set too tight? I'm pretty sure I didn't set them too tight but worth a look.

Can we see a video of the filler neck in the radiator. Drain like 1" or so from the radiator to expose the top few cooling tubes. Start the car and then video the coolant from the tubes. While the video is running rev the engine.

I would like to see the flow of water. Then, since you said the car heats up quickly, the t-stat SHOULD open and I would like to see that flow as well.

If all thing being equal, I think we are missing something..

The Burb Files
Old 11-09-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatcheese View Post
My car seemed to run just fine plenty of power started good. After breaking 2 rocker studs and bending a few pushrods up like pretzels then talking with Jim at butler performance I went with the 7/16 rocker studs and a new set of poly locks. I adjusted the rockers exactly as he instructed me to and I am pretty sure on the original build we
ightened them way more. When I tried to start it up couldn't get it to crank and started thinking ok what now. Well for some reason the timing popped into my head so I advanced it a little and it hit and stumbled a little so I advanced it some more and it went to running fine. I got the timing gun out and realized I was about 25 degrees initial way to much so I backed it down to 15 initial and it seemed to like it. Went for a drive that would normally got it up to around 200 and it sat on 160 until I stopped at a red light where the temp slowly claimed. With only an electric fan I expected this though usually it never really cooled back down once I started moving again but now it is. Hopefully this has been the silver bullet I have been looking for and my cooling issues are now resolved. I hope all of the things we have been over in this thread are helpful to someone else like they have been for me . Thanks again to everyone for your thoughts and wisdom in these areas.