THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:45 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 TRASHCAN View Post
What platform is this car built on???
I've read that the G8/Caprice platform won't be built much longer in Australia. Am I correct???
This

I read they will discontinue the Chevy SS because the low US sales are not enough to keep the platform going for it alone.

68 Firebird 400, YC 400, Hbeam rods, ported 670 heads (2.11i, 1.77e valves), 1.65 RRs, Torker 2 intake, Nodular Crank, Eaton Limited Slip, Richmond 3.55 gears, M-20 M4
97 Trans Am WS6, LT1, M6, FLP LTs, Cutouts, Flowmaster catback, Jet Airfoil, K&N air filter, MSD Opti and Coil
14 Fiat 500e 83kW motor, 24kWh lithium ion battery, +2 sized summer tires
Old 02-03-2015, 02:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The car is built on the Zeta chassis. The same chassis that GM used on the G8, and currently use on the Chevy Caprice.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 02-03-2015, 04:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, sales of the SS is very slow in the US. GM is shutting down its Australian Holden operation in 2017. I believe Ford already shut theirs down. I don't know about Chrysler.

Australian-built cars can't compete with other countries due to high wages the union workers are paid there. Other industry in Australia is in trouble for the same reason. A friend in Melbourne says more and more products are coming from China--kind of like the US.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 02-03-2015, 04:36 PM

I think the only car that comes close to the SS is the hemi Chrysler 300. The SRT model list for $45,900 and the SRT Premium list for $49,000. The wifey presently own a 2007 300 and is on here 2nd Grand Caravan. She said she is done with Chrysler. She said all 3 have be just about as reliable as the Fiat 128 she had in high school. I use to work on Fiats and she couldn't of said it any better.

Old 02-03-2015, 05:00 PM

Since the 80's, GM has had its head up its butt. They have been too far removed from the market, in general. They do not have a real good feel for what the car buying public wants, how to stratigize its products, and how to promote interest in their products. With Olds and Pontiac gone, they have left an enormous hole in their product line. It is true they had too much duplication across product lines. But the answer is not delete entire lines of cars, but rather reduce much of the duplication. In the early 70' GM had 55% of the domestic car market. Now look at them. They have only poor and ineffective management to blame. I can't fault Cadillac for wanting to separate itself from the stigma of the horrific management decisions being carried out at the corporate level. Chevrolet has always been the lowest priced product. And now with only Buick poised between them and Cadillac, GM is like a bouy in the ocean. They can't even recognize that Buick has always been the sought after product of the geriatric set. Until they get genuine car enthusiast people involved in their product line, they will continue to be out of touch. I was shocked when they dropped Oldsmobile. Then I was stunned beyond words when they made the preposterous decision to kill Pontiac. But that is how GM of late has sought to fix things. Don't figure out what is wrong and fix it, just kill it. All this leaves me with the overriding question: What is wrong with those people?

Old 02-03-2015, 06:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiaclarry View Post
Since the 80's, GM has had its head up its butt. They have been too far removed from the market, in general. They do not have a real good feel for what the car buying public wants, how to stratigize its products, and how to promote interest in their products.
Yet despite all those problems you claim, no one in the world is selling more cars in the U.S. than GM does.

Quote:
In the early 70' GM had 55% of the domestic car market.
Back in 1970, GM/Ford/Chrysler (the Big 3) sold about 7.65 million cars/trucks. GM had about 3.7 mill, Ford had 2.5 mill and Chrylser had about 1.5 mil.

Add in AMC and it was about 8 million.

With Plymouth (Chrysler's #1 seller in 1970 with sales of about 750,000), Mercury (about 350,000), Olds (about 665,000), Pontiac (about 690,000) and AMC (about 275,000) gone, that eliminates about 2.75 million cars and trucks - so that knocks that 8 mill number down to about 5.25 million.

In 2014 GM/Ford/Chrysler sold about 7.5 million vehicles.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiaclarry View Post
Since the 80's, GM has had its head up its butt. They have been too far removed from the market, in general. They do not have a real good feel for what the car buying public wants, how to stratigize its products, and how to promote interest in their products. With Olds and Pontiac gone, they have left an enormous hole in their product line. It is true they had too much duplication across product lines. But the answer is not delete entire lines of cars, but rather reduce much of the duplication. In the early 70' GM had 55% of the domestic car market. Now look at them. They have only poor and ineffective management to blame. I can't fault Cadillac for wanting to separate itself from the stigma of the horrific management decisions being carried out at the corporate level. Chevrolet has always been the lowest priced product. And now with only Buick poised between them and Cadillac, GM is like a bouy in the ocean. They can't even recognize that Buick has always been the sought after product of the geriatric set. Until they get genuine car enthusiast people involved in their product line, they will continue to be out of touch. I was shocked when they dropped Oldsmobile. Then I was stunned beyond words when they made the preposterous decision to kill Pontiac. But that is how GM of late has sought to fix things. Don't figure out what is wrong and fix it, just kill it. All this leaves me with the overriding question: What is wrong with those people?
X2! That is my feeling exactly.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
Yet despite all those problems you claim, no one in the world is selling more cars in the U.S. than GM does.

Back in 1970, GM/Ford/Chrysler (the Big 3) sold about 7.65 million cars/trucks. GM had about 3.7 mill, Ford had 2.5 mill and Chrylser had about 1.5 mil.

Add in AMC and it was about 8 million.

In 2014 GM/Ford/Chrysler sold about 7.5 million vehicles.
So what you're saying then is "Yes, GM has lost market share."

Not really sure what you're trying to get at with this following statement, since each corporation voluntarily eliminated those brands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
With Plymouth (Chrysler's #1 seller in 1970 with sales of about 750,000), Mercury (about 350,000), Olds (about 665,000), Pontiac (about 690,000) and AMC (about 275,000) gone, that eliminates about 2.75 million cars and trucks - so that knocks that 8 mill number down to about 5.25 million.

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 02-03-2015, 10:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatless View Post
So what you're saying then is "Yes, GM has lost market share."
Sure they did. Ford and Chrysler have also lost market share.

Quote:
Not really sure what you're trying to get at with this following statement, since each corporation voluntarily eliminated those brands.
The point I was making is that the remaining brands of the Big 3 sold 5.25 million cars in 1970 and that in 2014 those brands sold 7.5 million cars.

GM sold nearly 203,000 cars in January - up 18.3% from last year and 25,000 more than #2. That 18.3% is a bigger increase then Ford, Chrysler, Toyota, Honda or Nissan....