Old 05-03-2022, 08:47 PM

Default 66 Pontiac fuel line, pump to fuel/vapor separator filter

Does anyone sell a metal fuel line for 1966 Pontiacs (for a 4 bbl, not 2 bbl or tri power) that runs from the fuel pump to the fuel and vapor separator filter that sits just above the water pump? The original line was rubber and I would like to increase my safety margin. The obvious suppliers do not carry this item – I could bend it myself but would prefer not to if someone else has done a professional job.
Strange that the vapor return line running out of the fuel and vapor separator filter to the main to the main fuel tank vapor return line is metal – but the fuel line into the fuel and vapor separator is not.

Old 08-30-2022, 02:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bend one. Not hard

1970 GTO Convertible 455 Ram Air M-21, Atoll/Blue/Black, Hood Tach, 3:31 12-Bolt Posi, A/C, Console

1966 Grand Prix 421 Tripower 4spd, Marina Turquoise/Turquoise, a/c, console, posi, reverb. pa, pb, ps, remote mirror, mats

2010 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic, 6spd Hemi, Detonator Yellow, black stripe, black leather
Old 09-01-2022, 11:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Does seem strange but parts book seems to show fuel hose both in and out of filter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1966FuelSystem.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	597629  

Old 09-01-2022, 05:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That's correct

1970 GTO Convertible 455 Ram Air M-21, Atoll/Blue/Black, Hood Tach, 3:31 12-Bolt Posi, A/C, Console

1966 Grand Prix 421 Tripower 4spd, Marina Turquoise/Turquoise, a/c, console, posi, reverb. pa, pb, ps, remote mirror, mats

2010 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic, 6spd Hemi, Detonator Yellow, black stripe, black leather
Old 09-03-2022, 06:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark66 View Post
Does anyone sell a metal fuel line for 1966 Pontiacs (for a 4 bbl, not 2 bbl or tri power) that runs from the fuel pump to the fuel and vapor separator filter that sits just above the water pump? The original line was rubber and I would like to increase my safety margin. The obvious suppliers do not carry this item – I could bend it myself but would prefer not to if someone else has done a professional job.
Strange that the vapor return line running out of the fuel and vapor separator filter to the main to the main fuel tank vapor return line is metal – but the fuel line into the fuel and vapor separator is not.
I replaced my fuel lines just over 20 years ago. I had them made by Classic Tube if I recall correctly. No idea if they still sell them but worth an ask.

Old 09-04-2022, 06:30 PM

I have four 1966 Big Pontiacs all with AC. They all use a rubber hose from the pump to the "fuel and vapor separator filter" and a steel line from the filter back to the return line to fuel tank. Page C-448 of the Pontiac Chassis Parts Catalog (effective October 1, 1966) uses the term "pipe" when referring to the filter to vapor return line connector (actually a steel line from the filter to a 7 3/4" x 1/4" ID hose which then connects to the steel vapor return line which runs to the fuel tank). The illustration also shows the fuel line from the pump to the filter but does not give it a part number, presumably because it is just a rubber hose.

The engineers must have had a reason for using a steel line for the section of the vapor return line that snakes down the front of the engine - perhaps due to the proximity of the belts.

If I want a steel line from the fuel pump to the "fuel and vapor separator filter" I will probably have to bend it myself as I have not found one commercially available - but I will check with Classic Tube.