Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 10-12-2022, 09:37 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default What kind of dust collector is on your media blast cabinet?

I moved this past year and left my old media blast cabinet behind. I just bought a new one and need to now get a dust collector for it. On the old one, I just hooked up a shop vac directly to it. Worked pretty well, but killed the top bearing in the motor. I see all sorts of little dust collectors available that sit on top of a 5 gallon pail and then attach to a shop vac. Then there are the better commercial duty units. My blast cabinet doesn't get used all that often, so I'd like to go with something inexpensive. Any recommendations out there?

Thanks
Old Joe

68 GTO Clone (Tempest) Wagon
Old 10-12-2022, 12:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Check out TP Tools website.

Old 10-12-2022, 08:33 PM
Senior Chief

X-2 for TP tools!

I have their 960 special edition blast cabinet that came with the dust collector. I use the cabinet a whole bunch & have never had an issue with the dust collector. I would imagine they sell the dust collector apart from the cabinet.

God Bless
Bill
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...closed.614419/

Bills' Auto Works Est 1983 & still going strong!

1955 Chevy Altered W.B. Gasser
1955 Nash Ambassador Custom Lemans
1957 Chieftan 2dr HT
1964 Grand Prix
1966 Catalina Conv. 421
1966 Ambassador DPL 2dr HT
1966 Ambassador Cust. 2 DR HT
1967 Marlin
1967 Toronado
1973 Nova Full Chassis Car
1992 Jag XJS Conv
1992 Jag XJS Coupe
2007 Cad XLR-V Supercharged Roadster
Old 10-13-2022, 12:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I put a squirrel cage blower up the corner of mine that is plumbed to a 5" PVC pipe that blows it out of the shop through the wall. Creates enough suction to inflate the gloves
Might be a solution for some folks.

Old 10-18-2022, 04:44 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
I put a squirrel cage blower up the corner of mine that is plumbed to a 5" PVC pipe that blows it out of the shop through the wall. Creates enough suction to inflate the gloves
Might be a solution for some folks.
Had my TP Tools Blast Cabinet NOT come with the vacuum & external bag, I would have definitely done the same thing, except that mine would have exited through the roof instead of the wall as my blast cabinet is located in the center of the building & not close to any walls.

By the way @ gtobird.... I loved your car when I transported it to you as I lOVE the wagons! I hope the wife & daughter of the gentleman who passed that I got a chance to meet when picking it up are doing well & are happy that you are the proud owner of it!

God bless
Bill

1957 Chieftan 2dr HT
1964 Grand Prix
1966 Catalina Conv. 421
1967 Marlin
1967 Toronado
1992 Jag XJS Conv
1992 Jag XJS Coupe
2007 Cad XLR-V Supercharged Roadster
Old 10-18-2022, 05:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Gents,

Thanks for the tips. My cabinet is against an inside wall so I'll check out the TP tools solution.

Bill,

Question for you. What did you mean by this? "I hope the wife & daughter of the gentleman who passed that I got a chance to meet when picking it up are doing well & are happy that you are the proud owner of it!" Are you talking about someone passing by you, or did someone pass away that I'm unaware of? Hope it's the former. Greatly appreciate your hauling the car. Not sure if you saw my earlier posts, but since you landed it, I've changed the mufflers and tailpipes, fixed the neutral starter switch, lubed the shifter and rebuilt the carb.

Old Joe

68 GTO Clone (Tempest) Wagon
Old 10-18-2022, 07:20 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtobird View Post
Gents,

Thanks for the tips. My cabinet is against an inside wall so I'll check out the TP tools solution.

Bill,

Question for you. What did you mean by this? "I hope the wife & daughter of the gentleman who passed that I got a chance to meet when picking it up are doing well & are happy that you are the proud owner of it!" Are you talking about someone passing by you, or did someone pass away that I'm unaware of? Hope it's the former. Greatly appreciate your hauling the car. Not sure if you saw my earlier posts, but since you landed it, I've changed the mufflers and tailpipes, fixed the neutral starter switch, lubed the shifter and rebuilt the carb.

Old Joe

Hi Joe,

When I picked up your car, I thought I was meeting with the Widow & daughter of the gentleman who owner it previously! If I am mistaken, I am very sorry. Unfortunately I transport so many cars these days from the families of our fellow car guys who have passed & may have gotten my transports confused!

God Bless
Bill

1957 Chieftan 2dr HT
1964 Grand Prix
1966 Catalina Conv. 421
1967 Marlin
1967 Toronado
1992 Jag XJS Conv
1992 Jag XJS Coupe