THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 09-11-2022, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCMDGTO View Post
VR, I'm surprised to hear you say that. I know people in NW Ms in the delta that are killing big bucks in Tallahatchie and Sunflower Counties(very rural and tons of agriculture). I've also seen statistics on harvested buck age class and Ms is one of the top states for killing 3.5yr+. Obviously different for your area but interesting. LOTS of big deer killed here on the shore in Md and De every year but it is easier said than done. Here's a few that got a ride on my truck.
We don’t have the agriculture here any more. We (Amite County) went from a few thousand acres a year planted in soy beans or such, to about 200 acres, that one old farmer continues to plant every year. We have thousands of acres of national forest, that also draws in the rip rap from all over.

Wife has family in Milford, DE and they are always sending pictures of nice bucks they killed

The Following User Says Thank You to vr1967 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2022, 06:40 AM

Nice whitetails! I used to love to deer hunt....especially with a bow

Old 11-11-2022, 08:13 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have had both hips replaced and total reconstruction of my left elbow. And I'm getting a spinal fusion after deer season and the holidays. I'll be back in the woods here in Jersey next fall. We also have a camp and rifle hunt in Pennsylvania. Nothing like the solace if being in the outdoors with friends and family. We've made a lot of great memories. The wife knows not to bother me Oct. till Dec.

Old 11-11-2022, 08:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

https://blogger.googleusercontent.co...-h640/408.jpeg

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve C. For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2022, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy381 View Post
I have had both hips replaced and total reconstruction of my left elbow. And I'm getting a spinal fusion after deer season and the holidays. I'll be back in the woods here in Jersey next fall. We also have a camp and rifle hunt in Pennsylvania. Nothing like the solace if being in the outdoors with friends and family. We've made a lot of great memories. The wife knows not to bother me Oct. till Dec.
Determination is great. As I type this my dad(84 on New Years Eve) is in his stand.
Slowed down a bit, but with ankle fused, replaced hip, and dealing with bladder cancer(treatment just 2 days ago) loves his time in the woods.
I only hope I have inherited that trait when I reach that age.

Old 11-11-2022, 10:14 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pav8427 View Post
Determination is great. As I type this my dad(84 on New Years Eve) is in his stand.
Slowed down a bit, but with ankle fused, replaced hip, and dealing with bladder cancer(treatment just 2 days ago) loves his time in the woods.
I only hope I have inherited that trait when I reach that age.
God Bless him, good luck to him putting down a slammer buck!

Old 11-11-2022, 11:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice looking bucks guys. I'd love to go out west just once for whitetail or an elk, but that will never happen.

I'd Like to have a good bow or crossbow. Where I work in a huge flower garden where they flock to, I could use either one, and take one on the sly. I don't think Delaware has nuisance permits for flower gardens. Just for the farmers only. They're a big nuisance and will eat whatever they want. Only Deer Scram and mothballs keep them away.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 11-11-2022, 11:51 AM

One SOB(Son of a Botanist) I work with says a good deterent is to pee around the borders of your garden.
Never tried it, but if you have to go when in the garden might as well see if it works.

Old 11-11-2022, 12:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you look at the ingredients on some repellants coyote urine is listed. To some extent it is true that human pee works. That said, if hungry enough the deer will still visit the garden.

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE
Old 11-11-2022, 12:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"Cliff, I generally do not shoot bucks, unless there is an abundance of young bucks. I leave the older dominate bucks alone. Their DNA is crucial to have a thriving herd. The one my best friend’s son took was at least ten years old. He was totally white from his muzzle to half way up his head. He had done his job. In nearly all cases I will take an older doe. The quality of their meat is better."

Same plan here. I've taken my share of 140" plug bucks over the years but have left them alone the past few years for the reasons you mentioned.

This years we have WAY to many little bucks. I've got over 20 on camera and have seen a few in the past few days that aren't on film. Only two decent bucks have showed up so far, neither one is a "shooter", but they are getting up there. Seems like we're overrun with small spikes and a few 4-6 pointers.

I've only been out a couple of times and haven't seen any bucks at all. Had PLENTY of does come in and even had a pair bed down less than 30 yards from my stand for a couple of hours yesterday morning. I finally got tired of waiting for them to leave and climbed down and they didn't even run off till I stepped off the climber and picked up my crossbow!

Not sure if the link will work but this buck was taken by a guy I know. Not sure where he got it, but most likely on or by his properety which is about 2 miles from here.....

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=...27929204762847

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 11-11-2022, 01:16 PM

This one was taken a couple days ago about 1/4 mile from my stand.
These guys have pics of atleast 3 of them like this.
Biggens like this are rareish around here. Basically there isnt many hunters for the 1 1/2 sections we hunt and close to none surrounding us.
So you kind of see what you see and get what you get.
I will be out at O'dark thirty lookin for his brother(s)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F3BDAFA4-8F0A-49DF-850F-29A14770D447.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	602022  

The Following User Says Thank You to Pav8427 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2022, 08:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm not a hunter but this just walked by our back window:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version