Old 11-12-2022, 02:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moshier View Post
Is Dave at SD Performance taking on new work? I thought he was still playing catch up on what he had? His website still says no new work!

WE ARE WORKING IN THE SHOP AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE WITH A FOCUS ON CATCHING UP ON EXISTING JOBS. WE ARE NOT TAKING ON ANY NEW WORK UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE AS OUR PRIORITY IS TO CATCH UP AND GET OUR CYLINDER HEAD BUILD SCHEDULE BACK ON TRACK AS WELL AS DEAL WITH REPAIRS AND CLEANUP ON OUR PROPERTY AFTER BEING HIT BY A LANDSLIDE LAST FALL. THANKS FOR YOUR PATIENCE AND UNDERSTANDING, WE HOPE TO BE TAKING NEW ORDERS LATER THIS FALL.
I've been concerned about that message on their website. The second landslide occurred in the fall of 2019 (I think...).
3 years is quite a while to NOT be taking in any new business.
I sent Dave a PM to his user name, here about a week ago. No response, so far.
There's some folks, here that would like to do some business with him.
I'm really disappointed that he quit working on iron heads, but he WAS still doing iron intakes.

Anyone here have a connection to Dave?? I know there's a lot on Canadian members here!!!
If he'd just give use some kind of an idea of what's going on, that would set us all at ease. Dave's work IS the absolute best!!!

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 11-12-2022, 02:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
instead of being negative, it would be better to actually read his comments & see that hes using KRE Dports that dont have an exhaust crossover...
OK. So this is an exercise in "improving the aesthetics" then. Now I really don't get it but to each his own.

Old 11-12-2022, 02:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 TRASHCAN View Post
I've been concerned about that message on their website. The second landslide occurred in the fall of 2019 (I think...).
3 years is quite a while to NOT be taking in any new business.
I sent Dave a PM to his user name, here about a week ago. No response, so far.
There's some folks, here that would like to do some business with him.
I'm really disappointed that he quit working on iron heads, but he WAS still doing iron intakes.

Anyone here have a connection to Dave?? I know there's a lot on Canadian members here!!!
If he'd just give use some kind of an idea of what's going on, that would set us all at ease. Dave's work IS the absolute best!!!
i talked with dave via email in feb 21 about doing some Eheads i have, he was taking new work at that time. not sure on the date he posted that message.

Old 11-12-2022, 02:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeighborsComplaint View Post
OK. So this is an exercise in "improving the aesthetics" then. Now I really don't get it but to each his own.
improving aesthetics, saving some weight & having a factory intake that will fit all accessories & when ported will out perform the other intakes he has. whats not to get?

i've seen a few iron intakes cut up like that on here before, was considering doing it for my SD ported iron intake too but found a real HO intake ported by SD before doing all that work.

Old 11-12-2022, 03:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
i talked with dave via email in feb 21 about doing some Eheads i have, he was taking new work at that time. not sure on the date he posted that message.
Dave's website, in the past. Didn't seem to.get updated very often at all. So I nds like that hasn't changed.

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 11-12-2022, 11:11 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
OK. So this is an exercise in "improving the aesthetics" then. Now I really don't get it
Nope, clearly you don't.

Quote:
improving aesthetics, saving some weight & having a factory intake that will fit all accessories & when ported will out perform the other intakes he has. whats not to get?
But you definitely get it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoreMaker For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2022, 09:16 PM

How much extra horsepower & torque is there to be gained by porting the iron intake and at what power level? That is in addition to gasket matching the port exits and opening up the runners to gasket size and removing bolt bosses.

Old 11-18-2022, 10:07 PM
Senior Chief

I doubt there's much to be gained on a stock application. The as-cast stock manifold seems to top out around 5500rpm and 300hp or so. Below that, it's not enough of a restriction that porting it would help anything. But I'm running it on KRE aluminum heads with 10.25:1 compression ratio and a decent roller cam with a freshly machined block. I'm hoping for about 450hp. The stock manifold can be ported to support up to 600hp.

Old 11-19-2022, 05:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

"How much extra horsepower & torque is there to be gained by porting the iron intake and at what power level?"

I spent several years porting/modifying my factory iron intake taking every chance it was off the engine to make modifications to it. Along the way it was dyno tested several times and never disappointed. I also did some back to back track testing and it did very well there. Around 2004 I sent it to Dave at SD so he could do a CNC scan and use it to port factory intakes sent there.

On a pretty stout 428 build it made 6 more HP than a port matched Edelbrock RPM intake, no spacer used on either one. That engine had 10.6 to 1 compression, KRE aluminum "D" port heads, and a custom ground 236/242 @ .050" HR camshaft. Back to back on the dyno with no other changes the RPM made 491hp, a modified HO "re-pop" intake made 487hp, and my iron intake made 497hp.

At an HPP "shootout" we tested a Tomohawk intake against the iron intake It faired poorly without a 1" spacer on it and really liked my Holley 850 cfm carb vs the Q-jet. The only pass where it ran faster (MPH) over the modified stock intake was using a 1" spacer and Holley 4781-2 850DP carb. That combo was a solid 2mph faster than all other runs. The iron intake w/o a spacer was still the overall winner in ET besting that combo by .03 seconds as it ran quicker in 60' with a much harder launch.

The problem we have here with aftermarket intakes is lack of choices that fit and work well with these engines. The RPM is a nice piece, but too tall for many set-ups with some "cobbling" to use it or you have to put a drop base air cleaner on the carb moving the air cleaner lid WAy too close to the carburetor and pinching off more power than you ever hoped to gain with the bigger/taller intake.

The T-II is EXCELLENT if you are using a square flange carb and will rival the Victor intake to 600hp or so but it REQUIRES at least a 1" spacer on it and square flange carb.

The Performer is a "turd" and not even on my list unless you have a 350 build with 7.5 to 1 compression and it's not going to make chit for power right to start with. The Performer is a very poor choice for a 455 build and starts to become restrictive past 400hp or so. I've ran into issues trying to street, track and dyno test them so it's not even on my list anyplace. Of course every time I put that info up here someone Googles to the brink of extinction and finds someone someplace who made 8 zilliion HP with one on a 540CID build just to muddy the water and downplay my results testing them. Sadly the folks who do that have don't even have a Pontiac powered car that moves and/or have never tested a Performer intake on anything.

In any case we are left with very few choices for good intakes at the stock flange height. The HO is a nice part but the re-pops have very poor port alignment and serious miss-match at the gasket openings. It would have been nice if the folks who put up the money for that effort had spent a few minutes with some epoxy and a sanding roll and straightened all that up........IMHO.........

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
The Following User Says Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2022, 02:52 PM

Looks to me like Speed master is making an aluminum intake with this mod. Even has a small section taken out between the secondaries.

Not sure what the rest of the intake is patterned after? Says mid rise.

Last edited by KSZR; 11-19-2022 at 02:58 PM.
Old 11-19-2022, 02:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSZR View Post
Looks to me like Speed master is making an aluminum intake with this mod.

Not sure what the rest of the intake is patterned after? Says mid rise.
got a link?

the speedmaster intakes are not patterned after stock intakes, they are most likely the tomahawk design that is made from a ported holley street dominator, but does have the heat crossover removed like what he did here.

Old 11-19-2022, 02:58 PM
Senior Chief

I considered a Speed Master, but it basically looked identical to the Crosswind I got from Butler, which is a mutilated Performer RPM and therefore significantly taller than stock:
https://www.speedmaster79.com/Pontia...nifold-Satin_2

Old 11-19-2022, 02:59 PM

https://www.speedmaster79.com/Pontia...old-Polished_2

Old 11-19-2022, 03:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

thats a dual plane more like an RPM as mentioned.

funny when companies mention "air gap" on pontiac intakes... all pontiac v8 intakes are air gaps due to the valley pan design vs other makes that use the intake as a lifter/pushrod cover.

Old 11-19-2022, 05:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've run a Speedmaster dual plane on my GTO for a couple years now. Found it to be an improvement over the Street Dominator I had. Nice intake, flanges blocked at the heat riser and no hacksaw cuts. It's a full 1-1/2" taller than stock though. Added an 800 Spreadbore Holley this year and really like the combo.

Old 11-19-2022, 07:12 PM
Senior Chief

Oh for sure they seem to be excellent quality intake manifolds. Just not useful for my application

Old 11-19-2022, 09:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I do like the "open" intake look. I run all my wiring and vacuum hoses under the intake out of sight. Not knocking what you did and I get you're stuck with a stock height but jeez that was lot of work. I hope it works as-planned.

Old 11-19-2022, 09:49 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
I do like the "open" intake look. I run all my wiring and vacuum hoses under the intake out of sight. Not knocking what you did and I get you're stuck with a stock height but jeez that was lot of work. I hope it works as-planned.
I'm running a flat (not stock) BOP Engineering valley pan that has a baffled PCV outlet. I'll be running some coolant hoses under the intake manifold. They fit fine with plenty of room to spare, though mostly because I removed so much under the intake manifold. Otherwise it would be a tight squeeze.

Old 11-19-2022, 10:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I almost bought one of those Speedmaster intakes, but a member came through with a stocker that I was looking for.

Old 11-20-2022, 12:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Intake Manifold Dyno Test from SD Performance website.
As always results will be combination specific and vary.

We started with a stock iron intake running a Cliff's Q-jet. After some tuning, we ended up with 515hp @ 52-5300rpm and 575 lb/ft @ 4000 rpm. The next intake was another cast iron unit but with the CNC machined plenum copied from Cliff's personal intake. With some minor tuning we ended up with 527hp @ 5300rpm and 579 lb ft @ 4100rpm.

Test engine: 474ci engine running a set of our 290cfm CNC ported KRE D-port heads with 10.2 to 1 compression on 91 octane fuel with a 236/245 duration hyd. roller cam.

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE