Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 11-18-2022, 06:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Need wire connector advice

I've got a project that is going to require a lot of low voltage/amp connections (stepper motors in a small cnc project).

Max voltage about 24 vdc, max amps about 6.

I need connectors ranging from 2 poles to 6. I need the kind of connectors that you wire yourself .. soldering/crimping the wires on to the pins of the connectors. Weather proof is not a requirement.

I see AMP, Molex, JST, Dupont etc.

A big plus would be an option to panel mount female connectors ( think plugs in the exterior of an electrical enclosure).

Any advice appreciated.

Old 11-18-2022, 06:59 AM
Senior Chief

I like Del City.

Old 11-18-2022, 07:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Source is not so much of a problem as knowing which product is easiest to use, most versatile, durable etc. Going forward I could be using a LOT of these connectors so I don't want to be stuck with a product that I'll find myself disliking in the future.

Old 11-18-2022, 09:37 AM

It can be a confusing topic...just page through the catalogs from Digital-Key or Mouser Electronics, and there's a dizzying array of brands and configurations. I do think Molex-type connectors are probably most common. You can get them from many different suppliers, they're available in many different sizes and configurations, are easy to install and usually work well. They do have panel mount versions too.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2022, 01:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was leaning in the Molex direction as it's a product I'm not totally unfamiliar with, although I've never gotten a kit and put the plugs together myself.

Update: You made up my mind for me. Ordered a bunch of Molex MLX connectors, they look plenty versatile, affordable, and easy to use. Also widely available.

Last edited by dataway; 11-18-2022 at 01:45 PM.
Old 11-18-2022, 01:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I tested many connectors in my previous life. Molex is a good supplier. Just pick a line you like. Pay for gold flash over nickel if price is not crazy. If you need to connect and disconnect many cycles, then the finish matters more.

The Following User Says Thank You to Shiny For This Useful Post: