THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-24-2015, 06:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 2015 Chevy SS offer 6 speed manual

I've yet to see one of these on the road as in NEVER, but good to see Chevy carried through on the promised direction of offering a manual trans. $45,000 is corvette territory, but different market segments I'm sure given 4 doors, back seat, trunk, and easier access.

http://www.chevrolet.com/ss-sports-sedan.html

The 2015 Chevrolet SS combines high performance with a refined sophistication. Its 6.2L V8 engine delivers 415 horsepower and 415 lb.-ft. of torque, accelerating automatic-equipped SS from 0 to 60 in just 4.7 seconds. Go for the new 6-speed manual transmission and you’ll take full control of all that power. Plus, the new SS now comes with standard third-generation Magnetic Ride Control™ that delivers remarkable chassis control.

2016 Chevy SS; Sold
2001 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
2008 Infiniti G35x
Old 01-24-2015, 07:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Like a G8 GXP without the styling...

Old 01-24-2015, 07:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Idk. I dont think it will sell well. I bought my turbocharged Buick Regal in the 6 speed. Mistake. Fun for about a week. I think this car would be similar. Yeah its got more power than mine, but at the end of the days its still a daily driver type car. If Im driving it everyday give me the auto

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 01-24-2015, 07:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytrainer View Post
Like a G8 GXP without the styling...
Looks like a rental car.

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 01-24-2015, 07:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Agree about the rental car look. It looks like it should be parked at Enterprise with one of those little green 'E' stickers on the back of the trunk. Amazing how much worse that already awful front end looks with that hideous bowtie on the grill.

Old 01-24-2015, 07:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

What platform is this car built on???
I've read that the G8/Caprice platform won't be built much longer in Australia. Am I correct???

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 01-24-2015, 08:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If I was going to by a Chevy with a 6 speed, it'd be the $75,000.00 Z-28!
Yikes! It's only a Camaro. I can see one in ten years @ Mechum doing $150k....

Old 01-24-2015, 08:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

$45000 builds quite a 69-72 GP.....OR any Firebird....or a so cool 64-72 A body....or a cool big car....OR.....shall I continue?

OR buy a new Challenger or Mustang and put $15000 in the bank.

Who would buy the car?

I'm thinking NOBODY....

GO GM!!!! not

Old 01-24-2015, 08:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Oh you could even get a HEmi Charger if you wanted 4 doors...I don't like them at all but they at least have neat taillights. Chevy looks like a kindergartener designed it.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think someone who wants a sports sedan and is willing to pay that sort of price tag is going to look to Cadillac.

Im glad to see GM putting big engines in RWD cars. But I think this one wont sell. Not at that price. The Z/28 I thought was stupid too. When I bought my Buick I think I paid 25k new. If GM would have offered a Z/28 option on the Camaro that was basically the base but with the big engine for under 30k they would have gotten me. But no. If you want the big engine you have to take the SS option. Which comes with all sorts of bells and whistles that I dont want and drives the price north of 40k

You could get base camaros for like 21-23. I dont buy that they couldnt put the big powertrain in the same car and make money.

Another note on the 6-speed manual. I found this out the hard way when I broke a spring in my pressure plate at 32k miles. Clutches arent covered under the bumper to bumper..... Would I buy a 65 GTO with a 4 speed manual? All day. But I will never buy a new car under warranty with a manual again.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I heard that the SS had already been discontinued. Or maybe that was for 2016. Anyway it is not selling well and is going away. If you want one you had better get it now.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 01-24-2015, 11:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Holden is going away...... This is the last year for the SS ....... I love the car, but I think its $10K overpriced....

400HO / TKX 3.27 1ST GEAR-.72OD / 3.36 POSI
HOTCHKIS/UMI/BILSTEIN
Old 01-25-2015, 12:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I just traded my '09 Buick Enclave for a new 2014 SS, which is almost exactly like the 2015. Mine is black with six speed automatic. We nearly bought a '09 G8 instead of the Enclave, but the G8 has no driver memory, no heads-up display, no heated seats, no collision warning or lane change warning, no automatic parking, and only basic Bluetooth & entertainment features. The SS has all of that and more--more than the Enclave!

The 415 HP and rear wheel drive is fantastic, as is the exhaust tone. Handling, braking (Brembo calipers all around) is not like any Impala (rental car?). Interior room and comfort is not like any Camaro or Corvette!

In short, I don't know of any sedan that has the features or performance of the SS at anywhere near the $45K price.

I don't think any of you that posted have ever driven an SS, or your comments would have been quite different.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chevrolet SS 001.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	388360   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chevrolet SS 002.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	388361  

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 01-25-2015, 02:15 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Boneske View Post
I just traded my '09 Buick Enclave for a new 2014 SS, which is almost exactly like the 2015. Mine is black with six speed automatic. We nearly bought a '09 G8 instead of the Enclave, but the G8 has no driver memory, no heads-up display, no heated seats, no collision warning or lane change warning, no automatic parking, and only basic Bluetooth & entertainment features. The SS has all of that and more--more than the Enclave!

The 415 HP and rear wheel drive is fantastic, as is the exhaust tone. Handling, braking (Brembo calipers all around) is not like any Impala (rental car?). Interior room and comfort is not like any Camaro or Corvette!

In short, I don't know of any sedan that has the features or performance of the SS at anywhere near the $45K price.

I don't think any of you that posted have ever driven an SS, or your comments would have been quite different.
You look a little young to drive, you're the one in the middle right?
Nice sports sedan, those bashing are out of touch with current offerings I think, this is NOT A MUSCLE CAR...its a sports sedan for those who have multiple passengers and daily all weather driving.
I'd take an auto to haul the family around, since I can't go buy a new G8 or Grand Prix.

Last edited by PONTIAC-ONE; 01-25-2015 at 02:25 AM.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Im sure its hella fun to drive. I still say for that price I would rather buy a lightly used CTS V. I mostly chimed in to say I thought the 6 speed version wouldnt appeal to many.

Old 01-25-2015, 09:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocktimusPryme View Post
I thought the 6 speed version wouldnt appeal to many.
While you are likely correct, I still find it sad that "car people" feel this way. The six speed is one of the things that would actually draw me to this car (despite its rental car appearance. ) I've always owned at least one car with a clutch pedal since I started driving. Manual trans cars are getting harder to come by everyday now. As soon as we sell my wires old car we will be clutch-less. Her new car was only available as an automatic.

The problem with the SS as I see it- It is a very capable car, especially for the money. There is very little else that can do what it does anywhere close to that price range. BUT...very few people actually buy a car for it's capabilities. They buy for the image it projects. There is no status to be had with a Chevy sedan.

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 01-25-2015, 10:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I also owned a 2004 GTO. It was a blast to drive, never had maintenance issues. The comments about "rental car appearance" would definitely apply to the 2004-2006 GTO's and G8, as they don't stand out any more than a Chev SS. If you're looking to get attention, and old Firebird, GTO, Corvette, Camaro, etc. will get that for you.

I've only owned this SS for three days, however, and every place we park, people stop and look at it--men and women! Yesterday a guy with a G8 stopped in front of our house to look at the SS. That's not why I bought it, but "rental car appearance?"--I don't think so!

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 01-25-2015, 10:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Not sure where that odd thinking comes from but someone not liking something does not mean they are "out of touch with current offerings".

"Opinions vary" in this world and some of us feel the car is ugly and the styling is typical elcheapo, outdated Chevy dollar store packaging. Despite them being handed a nice looking Pontiac G8 and having several years (and I'm being generous with the time) to take it to the next level regarding styling, they instead turn it into something that looks like a warmed over vanilla envelope Chevy fleet car.

I'm sure the performance is great and it has much of the latest goodies that "shoppers" want. But it seems like one of those cars the user has to constantly make excuses for. The G8 deserved better.

Thankfully, it appears to be soon put out of its misery.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Was hoping they had SS pictures but all I could see were these shots of some 4 door sedan looking thing that looked like a bunch of other generic cars these days. I am out of touch on new cars so what do I know....

Old 01-25-2015, 01:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird72 View Post
Was hoping they had SS pictures but all I could see were these shots of some 4 door sedan looking thing that looked like a bunch of other generic cars these days. I am out of touch on new cars so what do I know....
Other than the "retro" styled offerings of GM, Ford, and Chrysler they all look the same. I think that's all you need to know.

Yeah, the SS has fairly generic styling, but IMO it's a lot cleaner and easier to look at than some of the competition. It's not an ugly car, it just doesn't stand out. In short it's a sleeper, kind of like a 340 Dart or Nova SS back in the day. Why does every performance oriented vehicle have to be a caricature of some car from 50 years ago?