Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 10-22-2022, 01:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey Randy, I reached out to a car buddy who has lived his entire life in Rogers (we lived there from 2011 to 2016), who still owns a 71 Mach I he bought new. He knew the name Ron Ham, but only that he used to have a shop in Little Flock, which is sort of the north edge of Rogers and butts against a bit of Bentonville. I asked him to ask fellow car guys he may know.

Old 10-22-2022, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrandyb View Post
Interesting! Sounds like our mechanical is about the same, mine adds about 12-13 degrees. But I have more vacuum, adding as much as 20 at some points maxing at around 47-48 degrees, I wonder if they installed different cans on yours and mine. Without me running 110 I wouldn't want to run 15 degrees base, but it really likes it, never pings, detonates, hesitates.

I'm planning a trip to Oklahoma next year, then will be cutting east and I'm going to stop by this shop address to see who is still there/what they know. Then headed to the POCI convention after.
As discussed I have nice details that include pictures of the restoration done 30 years again. Also have maintenance records but unfortunately no details on the engine build. Would like to know what cam was used however at this point my judgement is something similar to a 744 cam. My engine likes where the timing is set now and dwell angle is set at 30. Idle is good but can be better, ignition, vacuum leaks and carburetors have been sorted out. I’m running blended non ethanol gas that gives me around 98 octane. Next thing will be to verify all 16 valves are opening (approximately) the same amount. Although unlikely could have a worn lob or two, more likely I will find it out of adjustment. Also don’t believe your engine would be looking for 110, worked at a gas station as a kid and we sold Sunoco custom blend thinking 8 grades and 260 would bring you in at 98 octane.

Old 10-22-2022, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by einstein View Post
Hey Randy, I reached out to a car buddy who has lived his entire life in Rogers (we lived there from 2011 to 2016), who still owns a 71 Mach I he bought new. He knew the name Ron Ham, but only that he used to have a shop in Little Flock, which is sort of the north edge of Rogers and butts against a bit of Bentonville. I asked him to ask fellow car guys he may know.
That's awesome, thanks, yes that is the shop in Little Flock, the images from Google street maps match the building photos in my refurb album.

I plan to drive through there next June on the way to the POCI convention.
Thanks!

Old 10-22-2022, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donziboy View Post
As discussed I have nice details that include pictures of the restoration done 30 years again. Also have maintenance records but unfortunately no details on the engine build. Would like to know what cam was used however at this point my judgement is something similar to a 744 cam. My engine likes where the timing is set now and dwell angle is set at 30. Idle is good but can be better, ignition, vacuum leaks and carburetors have been sorted out. I’m running blended non ethanol gas that gives me around 98 octane. Next thing will be to verify all 16 valves are opening (approximately) the same amount. Although unlikely could have a worn lob or two, more likely I will find it out of adjustment. Also don’t believe your engine would be looking for 110, worked at a gas station as a kid and we sold Sunoco custom blend thinking 8 grades and 260 would bring you in at 98 octane.
Agreed I'd like to know the specs too, but I'll likely leave it alone until an issue forces a teardown. And yes I'm going to start trying some 91/110 blending or other non-ethanol combos and see what it likes; I can easily drop base timing to 12 degrees if needed. 75% 91 (what Wawa has here) and 25% 110 would give me about 96, or I can drive 10 miles further and go 75% 93/25% 110 for 97.25.

Old 12-02-2023, 02:31 PM

Default I know Ron

He is restoring a car for me now.

Old 12-02-2023, 02:33 PM

Ron Hamm is doing a restoration for me now

Old 12-02-2023, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tereev4 View Post
Ron Hamm is doing a restoration for me now
Wow that's great! As an update, I was able to meet him in person while stopping by on my way to the POCI convention this year. He checked out the car and confirmed a few things about the refurbishment which he estimated had been around 1993.

I forgot to ask about how they set the engines up compression-wise around that time, but it is running great on a blend of around 93-95 octane ethanol-free nowadays.

Good luck with your build!

Old 12-02-2023, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
mid to late 90's is my reference point.
Ron Hamm Autobuilder shop near Rogers or Springdale Arkansas (can't remember which). While on the road to north central Arkansas to pick up a project car, once stopped in Ron's place. Ron "built" a bunch of early GT0's in the late 80's up into mid to late 90's, dabbled in later GTO builds (at least one early Lucerne blue 71 Judge... Uncle Judge & I know it). Not sure how much later Ron kept going. Been in & out of a BUNCH of restoration/body shops since, the most organized ones are the ones that gave me ideas that I incorporated putting up my own shop. Do remember Ron's place as a long narrow old school shop, multiple garage doors, some concrete block walls, lot of native trees around the place as well as future projects & partscars.
Just to follow up, Ron was the guy! Thanks so much!