Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 11-10-2022, 08:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default for you savvy computer type guys

Bought a smart A$$ samsung tv, trying to get it the internet on the tv, have everything right, but all i get on the tv screen is my computer screen.............cant seem to do anything with that..............all i have is the remote control, and no button moves anything. lol

Am i missing something hear.

Rich

Old 11-11-2022, 09:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

maybe a little more info would help

from tv says download smsng.co/easy...............for the app to put on your puter, all i get is samsung trying to sell me stuff.

Just wondering if anyone else has run into this

Old 11-11-2022, 10:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like Windows is "casting" your computer screen to your TV. First thing ... turn off your computer.

The TV will have its own selection of "apps" to get on the internet. With the TV turned on try hitting the "home" button on the remote (if it has one), typically you'll be presented with a selection of apps that are native (meaning they are in the TV software) ... usually a selection of streaming apps like Netflix, YouTube etc. There will also typically be a browser of some kind ( equivalent to MS Edge, Chrome, FireFox etc.) this is where you would add your favorites and browse the internet like you would on your computer. Also you can use the built in apps like YouTube to view the same videos as you would on your computer.

Not sure your level of computer/internet knowledge ... but realize that your smart TV is a computer of sorts, you don't need any connection to your PC, you only need a connection to your home wifi router.

Don't make the mistake of thinking the internet is "on your computer" and your TV must "go through" your PC to get to the internet ... the TV is perfectly capable of accessing the internet using it's own software and apps.

Windows has the capability to "cast" whatever is on your computer/laptop screen on to your Smart TV ... that's not what you want to do, all that does is replicate what is on your PC/laptop on to the TV for easier viewing ... it doesn't allow any control of the PC/Laptop.

Old 11-11-2022, 10:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Checked out that Samsung Easy app ... no, you don't need that.

Well ... I guess I should ask what you are trying to do? Are you trying to control your PC from the TV ... or do you just want to get on the internet using your TV.

For instance ... if you wanted to browse this forum from your TV, you would just need to find the browser included in the TV software, enter the address of this forum in the search window and you should be able to view and navigate this forum as if you were on your PC ... although posting would be a pain with the remote.

Here is some info on the Samsung browser that should be loaded on your TV already: https://www.lifewire.com/samsung-sma...rowser-4686055

Old 11-11-2022, 10:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Not sure your level of computer/internet knowledge ....lol

dataway, didnt take you long to figure that one out. lol...........really appreciate the info, that helps things..............not sure of what im trying to do, just thought i could see my email and go on a few pontiac sites, stuff like that...............now im gonna look the browser in the tv software...............will look thru that link you sent me...........thanks again, this was getting to be a PITA...........Rich

Old 11-11-2022, 04:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Browsing is easy enough on the TV .. although still a bit awkward compared to a computer with a mouse and keyboard. Email ... ehhh... not so good, not if you plan on responding to emails, and you'd probably have to use a web based (internet based) email like G-mail, Yahoo mail etc.

Of course the hot setup would be getting a bluetooth keyboard/mouse for use with the TV ... then it would work quite a bit better.

When it comes to browsing, watching YouTube, reading forums ... a smart TV will do all that just as well as a computer ... where the TV falls flat is controlling it, choosing menus, clicking buttons, typing in anything.

Lots of us older folks that grew up with the "internet" and computers being synonymous got the impression that the "internet" kind of resides on our PCs and only with a PC can you access that magical world. The reality is that your computer accesses the internet through your cable/fiber/sat/ via your modem/router ... and any smart device can do the same with today's household wifi systems. So with the your PC off, your TV, gaming console, tablet, heck even your appliances can connect to the internet using your household wifi connection/router, no PC needed at all.

And then you have phones .... while you are at home your phone connects to the internet using you home wifi, while you travel your phone connects to the internet using it's "cell" data connection.

If the internet "lives" anywhere in your home it would be your modem/router supplied by your internet service provider ... any device that can hook up to the modem/router via wifi or ethernet cable can access the internet.

You may already know this stuff. In my position as extended family "computer guy" I've found the biggest roadblock is usually getting older folks (which I am) to understand that the "internet" is not something that resides on their PC, or other device ... it is a destination, to which these devices connect.

Hope you get it worked out ... if you are like me you will solve the puzzle beautifully and then in a year when you have to do it again you'll have forgotten everything you did to make it work the first time

Old 11-11-2022, 04:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dataway............making progress, got the pontiac forum on the tv finally...........i can see what was posted today, where im having trouble is putting in my user name, that goes in fine, but i cant seem to move the arrow over to put in the password...........kind of strange if i remove my user name from the box, i can get the arrow all over the place. lol.......i"ll get this right yet.

About the only thing im gonna put on this is the pontiac forum and my gmail...........otherwise i just use the puter in the basement.

Once again , thanks for all the help

Rich

The Following User Says Thank You to gtorich For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2022, 05:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You'll get it!

Just fyi, but if you want to actually type stuff on the TV's browser, you might be able to attach a wireless keyboard. They are not super expensive and as I recall, use a little receiver that plugs into a rectangular USB port on the TV.

Just entering passwords with a remote is frustrating..as you are experiencing!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shiny For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2022, 06:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

lol, i hope you guys are getting a laugh out of this........ok, finally figured out how to move the arrow over, say after i put in my username, then i have to hit return on the remote and then i the arrow appears again, then i put in my password, getting excited now, cant get anything to show up on the remember me box............hit the button to get on the forum..............and what do i get, your username or password is wrong.......lol , after 5 tries kicks me off the forum for 15 minutes.

That remote is messing with the wrong guy...........lol, im gonna try to take my keyboard from the puter and hook it up to the tv..............that way i can keep making mistakes at a much faster pace.

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...d.php?t=862773

Im assuming this is the address

Ok, the gloves are comming off now..............need a few beers to get the brain working.

Old 11-11-2022, 06:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not even laughing. I spent 15 minutes entering username and password to access an app on our Samsung TV about 3 days ago. I fumbled with the "select-a-letter" game and I'm sure it took me at least 3 attempts. When I finally got it entered, the app said, "sorry, wrong password".

I haven't worked up the patience to try again.

The Following User Says Thank You to Shiny For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2022, 03:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Combine the hinky remote input and the clunky smart TV browsers and you have a recipe for frustration.

Yes, if you have a wireless keyboard on your PC that uses a USB dongle it might plug right into a USB port on your TV and work.

Don't know why they don't offer TV remotes with tiny little keyboards on them.

Old 11-12-2022, 03:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Combine the hinky remote input and the clunky smart TV browsers and you have a recipe for frustration.

Yes, if you have a wireless keyboard on your PC that uses a USB dongle it might plug right into a USB port on your TV and work.

Don't know why they don't offer TV remotes with tiny little keyboards on them.
SUCCESS, didnt take me all day, well it was 2 days........lol........i was gonna do it with that POS romote if it took years............finally logged on to PY, put it in my bookmarks, still couldnt get the remember button to light up..............didnt even try to get on the site again.............who knows if that will happen. lol.............next one is the gmail on the tv and then im done messing around with that thing.

Just wanted to say thanks for the help guys and hanging in there with me............now to knock off a few cold ones for my victory.

Rich