Old 08-05-2022, 04:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 68 Vinyl top trim fasteners

I've got some mystery holes in my car for the vinyl top trim.

The side piece of trim that goes from the quarter window to the rear corner has three studs that take the plastic clips, and the one funny spring clip with the threads on the back ... there is also a hole in the body, under that piece of trim, just to the rear of the quarter window trim, like a 1/4" diameter, same as the one at the rear that takes the funny spring clip. Anyone know what goes there? It appears necessary to hold the forward piece of that trim tight against the quarter.

Same deal with the piece that goes across the entire back ... takes seven plastic clips, and on the ends it has two large holes. For this piece the Trim Manual calls out the seven plastic clips and 2 clips (PN 7669079) and two nuts (PN 9419764). The 7669079 clip is used on a ton of cars ... but don't see it in the AMK catalogs, and I have no idea what it looks like.

The hole mentioned in the first paragraph is a mystery to me, the trim manual seems to only call out the three plastic clips, doesn't mention the spring clip in the back, or anything that would go in the mystery hole in the front.

Can anyone straighten me out on what clips go where? Basically the only ones I'm really clear on is the plastic ones that go on the studs.

Thanks,

Old 08-05-2022, 06:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I cannot provide "original info" , but can provide that i did not use the funny spring thing clip.

I used the rectangle-like plastic groove rails and slide the stainless on from "back-to-front". The pot metal corners then went on. The 1/4 window stainless then went on. Been great since.

The Following User Says Thank You to Half-Inch Stud For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2022, 02:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If it comes down to that I can do the same thing. I also remember some funny oval shaped metal pins with plastic surrounds that went into a through hole on the quarter ... think I still have them somewhere ... but they could have been the same as the spring clip with the spring corroded off years ago.

Old 08-06-2022, 01:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I wish my memory was good enough to help you more but it's been quite a while since I went through all of this as I too had to come up with all of the pieces since everything was missing from mine when I got it. As I recall I got most of my oddball threaded stud type connectors off of a Skylark in the junkyard. In fact, looking at that car is what clarified for me how everything was attached.
I'm just about certain also did I do not have the half inch hole that you mentioned.
Going from memory- I have one of the oval shaped pieces with a threaded stud on each end of the long lower trim piece that goes across the trunk filler. Next, there are threaded studs that are integral to the two potmetal pieces. Now, what l have next are two oddly shaped pieces that fit into the two check mark shaped quarter glass trim pieces (one for each piece). They have springy snap in type retainers similar to the push in pins that hold your interior door panels. They snap into a hole that is probably about 3/16 of an inch or so. The top end of that check-mark shape quarter glass trim is held by a Philips head screw.

The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Reid For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2022, 01:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

OK, that's helpful, gives me some more clues. I do have a couple of the oval headed pieces, wasn't sure where to put them. My "checkmark" pieces were held in with tiny screws, one top, one bottom (even though the trim catalog calls out two "clips" on that piece).

I'll post a couple of pics of the areas I'm confused about.

Old 08-07-2022, 04:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This is what I have so far ...

First picture shows a mystery hole right behind the quarter window trim ... is this a broken out stud? Same hole on both sides. Too small for a threaded clip, and don't recall any clip that screwed in from the outside.

Next pic ... I think I have these arranged correctly ... the spring clip seems to serve the function of lining up the trim front to back, the hook on the spring grabs a ledge on the trim to index it's position. ... I think

Third pic ... the end clip on the long back piece, found a few of these used originals in my parts, threaded on the back.

I could have sworn the original layout had the oval threaded clip in the rear position on the quarter. If the front mystery holes are broken out studs I have the replacement screw in studs I can use to hold one of the rectangular plastic clips.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Top-Trim-1.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	595977   Click image for larger version

Name:	Top-Trim-2.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	595978   Click image for larger version

Name:	Top-Trim-3.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	595979  

Old 08-07-2022, 10:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't have that spring clip and l don't have the mystery hole but l will tell you that l have been threatening for years to add a stud exactly where the mystery hole is because my trim springs up away from the car right there. If you look down on my trim at that spot you can see the gap and it can easily be pressed down with the thumb.

The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Reid For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2022, 06:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep .. exactly the issue I am having, the trim wants to stick out there. I'm getting the feeling, like many other times, that there was quite a variance in the methods used to attached the trim from factory to factory or early/late etc.

I have a feeling I'm going to end up drilling a proper size hole behind the mystery hole and screwing in a broken stud repair screw, and then using that to hold down an extra plastic clip ... since the Ames kit seems to have included a few extra.

Old 08-07-2022, 11:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I recommend sliding the clip/studs into the trim FIRST
then
line them up with the holes
and then snapping trim over the common center plastic slide on clips...

S

The Following User Says Thank You to Scott Thelander For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2022, 12:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep .. I tried that last night and it seemed to work the best. Well, not just the best .. I couldn't get them on any other way

Old 08-08-2022, 04:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Greg, on further examination the mystery hole really appears to be a broken off stud. I pop riveted on a plastic clip and it works great. Makes installing the quarter window piece a bit more finicky but really helps snug things up.

If the hole isn't there ... I have seen studs break off without leaving a hole and the divot gets filled with paint or filler. Also might be an early/late thing if they noticed people had their trim bulging in that location.

Got one side of the trim all done ... other quarter has to be repainted before I can do it.

Old 08-08-2022, 10:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, l'm gonna add a screw-in stud there...one of these days.

Old 08-09-2022, 04:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Did you round up

Did you find enough hardware ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB18B6BD-857B-4FBB-AF85-8C44C2BF7F63.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	596115  

The Following User Says Thank You to Scott Thelander For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2022, 04:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Scott, yes, thanks.

By the way, what are the long metal tabs for?

And ... is it just me or are those outside quarter window fuzzies a total beeyatch? Repops of course have no holes for the screws because the factory used self-drillers and just ran them in anywhere they could. That SS used in the repops is tough ... doesn't help that I'm doing it with the glass and inner panel already installed

Old 08-12-2022, 06:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think they are G Prix