WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2004-06 GTO Owners > 04-06 Engine Tech

04-06 Engine Tech LS engine tech center. Get the most out of your car here.

Old 06-14-2008, 08:19 AM

Default '05 GTO - added K&N filter without spending big bucks!

Thought some of you with the '04-'06 GTOs would like to know how you can do the swap for little or no money, other than the purchase of the K&N filter and some labor.
Purchased the filter from Advance Auto Parts for almost $10.00 less than the online suppliers. This is the RF-1048 filter used with the expensive retro-fit systems (Almost $400.00 to over $500.00, depending on choice). While my installation is not hi-tech and I have no Dyno figures to back up why you should do this swap, I believe it is close to what those expensive kits are supposed to do. I know, the hi-tech suppliers will probably say that my installation will not achieve the results that their's does and I would probably agree, but for my investment I'm not realy worried about that. If I only get a 75% increase (based on the hi-tech claims) I'll be money ahead already and it can only get better - more horsepower and better mileage. OK. Here's what I used (don't laugh!): The bottom of a large coffee can, a 3" pcv pipe coupling and two stainless steel clamps with some black paint to blend it in with the car. The finished product looks like it was meant to be there. I also made a special bracket to support the filter. With some judicious measuring and tin-snipping and pcv sawing and about 2 hours of labor (actually less than that) I had the filter installed (the labor was cheap since I work for nothing being retired).
The coffee can O.D. is a perfect fit for the I.D. of the filter and the PCV coupling is the perfect fit to install into the existing duct. It simply took the careful fitting of the PCV coupling to the coffee can to make the adaptor. Who says you can't work on the new cars yourself?
I won't post a picture here, but if anyone would like to see the finished installation, just email me and I'd be glad to send you a snapshot.
Frank Hummel, Jr.
Email: fghjr@bellsouth.net
'05, Torrid Red, 6M with just under 14,000 miles
Old 06-14-2008, 02:46 PM
Senior Chief

That is an ingenious solution to getting a CAI at a Red Green Price. Hey if it works why not? Can you hear it sucking air like the CAI's do? Are you getting any kind of heat stroke?

I debated on a CAI, although many guys love them for me nearly 300 is a lot and I held off. A fellow on another forum had a 2006 GTO he was selling with about 1500 miles on it, he purchased and installed an AEM CAI. The CAI was on his car maybe 3 weeks with next to zero miles on it. He sold it to me for 50.00. Man did I get a deal. The inside of the tube still smelled new, and he gave me a new unused filter. AEM is an oil less filter, so no oiling.

He also spent 530 on a JHP sport gauge POD. Matching cluster and font. That was in his car about 3 weeks. I never gave any thought to buying one as 500.00 IMO is way overpriced. He asked me if I'd give him 300.00 for it. It's in my car. 300 is a bit much too IMO but I like the idea of having an oil pressure gauge. The 04-06's should have come with one in the cluster to begin with.

Old 06-14-2008, 05:40 PM
Senior Chief

Heat stroke? I mean heat soak.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:12 AM

Default pictures of filter install

Just to let folks know there are pictures of my adaptor/installation on the Ls1GTO website. Just look for the "K&N Filter added to '05 GTO 'on the cheap'", if you are interested. Of course I will email them to anyone personnally if so desired.
I am working on an idea for a heat shield which I do think is needed. The problem is doing that with materials that would be readily available for most DIY hobbyists to keep with the theme of 'low-bucks', but looks good and works well.
Frank
Old 06-25-2008, 08:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250052
Old 06-28-2008, 07:15 AM

Default K&N Filter - pictures of heat shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_GTO View Post
I have now installed a heat shield that I completed yesterday. Please visit the Ls1GTO site for details and pictures of the work-in-progress and the finished product installed in my '05, if interested. No, I'm not selling any of this, but if you are interested I'll be glad to tell you what to use and even supply a template and writeup so you can do it yourself. However, I don't think it's a novice project anymore.
Have fun with the 'new ones' and be careful.
Frank
Old 06-28-2008, 10:40 PM

Nice job. Looks better than the name brand box on my 04. The seal doesn't fit right and the guy who owned the car before probably spends big bucks for it. The young studs over on that other sight talk a lot of thrash but wait till they go around the block a time or two and they will change thier tune.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:09 AM
Senior Chief

I read some of the crude remarks on the other forum.
If you would have paid a sizable amount of money but yet far cheaper than a K&N you installed, some of the ignoramuses dissing your idea may be on board. Or perhaps if "they" thought of it they'd be boasting it up. I have seen some pictures on there of some gaudy mods some have done yet your idea makes much more sense.

If it works that's all that matters. You did a nice job. The heat shield will further improve it. Ignorance is bliss, or isn't it?

Old 06-30-2008, 10:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default LS1GTO lack of etiquette..........

I used to frequent that board but got tired of all the "flaming" as they call it. Lots of the members there are young and lack common sense and manners, as far as trampling on your posts. And the term "Ghetto" is used frequently for members that have the traditional "Hot Rodder" approach, I.E. "I can make that piece rather than buy it from a sponsor". It seems they have lots of disposable income and would rather buy their "Mods" rather than go out in the garage and make something with their own hands and talents. I really like the people on this board and our host is great. Just my opinion for what it's worth.
1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 07-08-2008, 11:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Frank,i love how you made those people eat there words in the LS1GTO website [classic],I know the work you did with the 1970 GTO,Firebird and my favorite the 61 Bonne so i know what you did probably did looked pretty good without seeing it,Russ