WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2004-06 GTO Owners > 04-06 General Tech/Discussion

04-06 General Tech/Discussion 2004-2006 GTO General Tech and discussion.

Old 01-19-2018, 11:33 AM

Default 400/428/455 Pontiac-powered 04-06 GTO?

Has anyone done this?

Tons of classic goats getting the LS swap treatment, which makes sense and cool, but has anyone gone in the other direction to create a GTO powered by a true Pontiac muscle car engine?

Would there be interest in having such a beast?
Old 01-23-2018, 10:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Interesting. Never heard of anyone doing this but I suppose anything is possible. Would likely be pretty heavy compared to the aluminum mill. Still would be cool to see...
Old 01-25-2018, 07:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

First of all, why would anyone want to go backwards to a gas guzzling, oil leaking, heavy assed Pontiac V8? The LS engine does everything as well, or better than most Pontiac engines. In most regards, the LS engine is far superior. It may lack the low end torque of a Pontiac mill, but is every bit as durable and can easily far exceed the power level of the Pontiac.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE me some Pontiacs as I own two '72s and a '71. I also own two LS GTOs both LS1 and LS2. I've owned ALL of them for ten years or more so I'm very familiar with the nuances of both types of engines.

Also, how could you get this concept to pass emissions, which anything 1996 and newer has to pass?
Old 04-21-2018, 11:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Believe it or not it has been done with a Solstice. DK how they got it pass emissions.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61-63 View Post
Believe it or not it has been done with a Solstice. DK how they got it pass emissions.
Not sure about other states but in Arizona only residents of the two counties for Tucson and Phoenix are required to pass emissions. All other counties are exempt so anyone can put any engine into anything and get it registered (within reason).

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 04-21-2018, 06:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think it's a great idea !!!!

Back in the old days I HATED it when guys would see our Pontiacs at the races and want me to come over and look at their GTO or Firebird, which I would, only to get there & see a Chevy motor under the hood. I wouldn't even talk to 'em. Just turned around & walked away.

SO, just as a revenge factor, I LOVE the idea of putting Pontiac power in most any GM that came only with Chevy power. That's also why I love the 3rd & 4th gen drag cars that have real Pontiac power. I think they're cool !!!

I suppose that makes me an old school Pontiac freek. So be it. I wear the label with pride !
Old 04-21-2018, 06:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I don't consider the LS engines as Chevy engines....in my opinion they are General Motor engines since they were designed and used in all divisions....even the oversea nameplates.

I don't think the LS engines have any parts in common with the SBC engine.

Old 04-21-2018, 06:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, opinions differ !!!!
Old 04-21-2018, 07:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyakr View Post
Yeah, opinions differ !!!!

Old 04-21-2018, 08:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyakr View Post
I think it's a great idea !!!!

Back in the old days I HATED it when guys would see our Pontiacs at the races and want me to come over and look at their GTO or Firebird, which I would, only to get there & see a Chevy motor under the hood. I wouldn't even talk to 'em. Just turned around & walked away.

SO, just as a revenge factor, I LOVE the idea of putting Pontiac power in most any GM that came only with Chevy power. That's also why I love the 3rd & 4th gen drag cars that have real Pontiac power. I think they're cool !!!

I suppose that makes me an old school Pontiac freek. So be it. I wear the label with pride !
LS engines are purely GM corporate powerplants, not chevy. They share the center to center bore spacing with a SBC. They use design cues from all the previous GM V8 designs. Chevy didn't design them nor do the manufacture them. The LS engine was designed by GM Powertrain from a clean sheet of paper, no carryovers from chevy.

Plenty people on here still refer to LS design as chevy, correctly it's GM and trademarked by GM, not chevy. Opinions may differ, the facts are the facts.

Notice the TM, GM LS-Series on the sign.

There is a former Pontiac GTO (2004-2006) Pro Stock racer owner by Maurizio (Maurice) Campolucci of Stallion Motorsports Inc. that was originally designed for a BBC, and converted to a Pontiac V8 and ran 200 MPH NA, I forget the ET. Maybe 7.53.
1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated