Old 05-13-2022, 09:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Help Please ….No turn signal indicator….😐

Installed dash, was so excited to see All the interior lights work as did the exterior lights….. except the left turn signal indicator …. The light blue wire from the turn signal is getting power on both aides of the connector, and blinks during operation the 2 light blue wires going into the instrument cluster is getting power, all the bulbs in the cluster work why don’t the left indicator illuminate when the flasher or turn signal is operating? Any assistance is appreciate thx!

Old 05-13-2022, 09:35 PM

What make, model and year is the car?

Old 05-13-2022, 10:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
What make, model and year is the car?
Sorry… 69 GTO…..

Old 05-13-2022, 11:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Do all the exterior lamps work correctly?? Flash and work as park lamps?

Old 05-14-2022, 04:38 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yes…. Sir…

Old 05-14-2022, 05:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When, if ever, does the left signal indicator LIGHT ... not flash, but does it ever light up?

Usually if it lights up and stays steady with the turn signal ON .. it's a problem with the exterior bulbs.

If it NEVER lights up it's usually a burnt out bulb, OR if you are using LEDs the bulb is installed 180 degrees out (wrong polarity). Could also be a bad printed circuit, dirty contacts on the bulb carrier etc.

Old 05-14-2022, 08:32 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The left turn signal indicator never lights up not for flasher not for blinker although the lights are blinking on the outside . I am thinking its something like the bulb … I pulled each bulb on that side of the cluster, not sure which one is actually for the indicator…they all light up on the workbench……. I even try to switch a few of the bulbs around to see if it was the contact, both indicators worked when I pulled the dash…..

Last edited by Mook; 05-14-2022 at 08:42 AM.
Old 05-14-2022, 09:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Terminal in the harmonica connector may need some tweaking so that it makes better contact with the printed circuit.

Clay

Old 05-14-2022, 09:49 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Found an old cluster is this the Left turn signal bulb?

Also…. Turn signal barely worked with an original 552 flasher only worked with the type pictured… is that normal?? 🤔
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	63078847-4E98-4969-91E6-85C5BC085787.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	590830   Click image for larger version

Name:	38FFCB11-D1F8-4173-8ECC-E165BCB497C1.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	590831  

Old 05-14-2022, 10:08 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by "QUICK-SILVER" View Post
Terminal in the harmonica connector may need some tweaking so that it makes better contact with the printed circuit.

Clay
Hey Clay…. Funny was about to call you ….lol…. I was hoping that was not it🤦🏾*♂️

Old 05-20-2022, 02:13 PM
Senior Chief

Hey Mook I’m following this because I’m about to do the exact same project on the same year LeMans. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 05-21-2022, 12:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

From 1968 on GM in the Pontiac A body series cars, used a mylar printed circuit with those twist-in plastic bulb sockets.

One thing I have noticed on those type sockets is after 25 or 30 years the brass contacts inside of the socket get a film on them which interferes with bulb contact. Those sockets take either a #168 or a #194 light bulb.

The cure for this issue is to remove all the sockets and clean the contact ends inside using a small file also you need to clean the "tabs" that touch the PC using a piece of very fine sandpaper (600 grit or higher). I then replace all the bulbs as a preventative measure. (You may also need to very carefully re-bend those 2 ends so as to ensure the tabs make good contact with the PC when reinstalled.)

Old 05-26-2022, 01:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Serio View Post
From 1968 on GM in the Pontiac A body series cars, used a mylar printed circuit with those twist-in plastic bulb sockets.

One thing I have noticed on those type sockets is after 25 or 30 years the brass contacts inside of the socket get a film on them which interferes with bulb contact. Those sockets take either a #168 or a #194 light bulb.

The cure for this issue is to remove all the sockets and clean the contact ends inside using a small file also you need to clean the "tabs" that touch the PC using a piece of very fine sandpaper (600 grit or higher). I then replace all the bulbs as a preventative measure. (You may also need to very carefully re-bend those 2 ends so as to ensure the tabs make good contact with the PC when reinstalled.)
Hey Pete.....I will be taking the dash back out to give a once over..... will be sure to clean those contacts......thx

Old 05-26-2022, 02:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid View Post
Hey Mook I’m following this because I’m about to do the exact same project on the same year LeMans. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don't hesitate to hit me up if you have any questions..... needless to say I've learned a lot...mostly thanks to the PY Forums.....