The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 06-30-2022, 11:44 PM
Senior Chief

Default 1970 GTO core support - repro vs. OEM

Like many, I have battled with the fitment of repro front sheet metal on my GTO. On these forums I learned the repro core support is not built with the right forward “lean”.

This week I was able to buy a OEM core support for a good price (thanks Ross!). Tonight I pulled the repro & set them beside each other. The difference is crazy. The repro is on the right. Notice it’s sitting straight up & down, balanced on the lower cross brace. OEM on the left. It has such a pronounced forward lean it will not balance itself. I had to keep it propped up with a barrel to keep it from falling forward.

No wonder it’s a struggle to gets good panel alignment!

Sorry the picture is rotated….you get the idea
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6660.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	593510  

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jarretts70 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2022, 01:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep ... I created a LONG thread about it in the 68-72 section. Soon to be updated because I'm installing the sheet metal now.

It's a freakin joke that vendors keep selling these without telling people how bad they are .. and not just the lean angle, but numerous other issues too.

They are fixable ... but not for the average hobbyist, lots of cutting and welding. Almost all the lean angle error is in the base but if it's not fixed it throws off the alignment of everything that bolts to the core support.

Fixed the photo for you.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CoreSupport-OEM-vs-Repop.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	593512