Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-30-2022, 06:24 PM

Default Oldsmobile 455 HD Build

Hi - I have just joined this site after not much luck on TA Country (it had crashed a couple times and all content has been lost lately). I have read a ton of posts on swapping an Olds 455 in place of the 403 on this site prior to joining but have some questions still. I also wanted to start a build thread for my '79 TA as this is an OLDSMOBILE 455 and not a Pontiac...maybe its a Heavy Duty instead of Super Duty!

First, is anyone still around that performed this in the past? Sadly, some of the people i emailed are no longer with us. If so, any pictures available? My main concern is the A/C box. Consensus is that 50% say no modifications and 50% say you need too. Thought a picture would help. The notched valve cover from a Cutlass/442 may be a good option.

Here is summary plan so far:
- Use 403 motor and block mounts
- Use the 455 alternator bracket instead of 403
- Use the 403 Power Steering bracket instead of 455
- If using headers, ones for a '73 - '77 Cutlass with the 455 are most compatible to the TA frame.
- Do not use tall valve covers
- Oldsmobile has 3 different water pump lengths; use the water pump for a 403 onto the 455 or at least one the same length as a 403

Ancient posts that I've been using for some info:

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...13#post2409313

and

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...d.php?t=396696