Old 07-19-2021, 11:17 PM

Mike - a guy in Smoke Signals has an ad for a 400 3spd in green - I think it is Verdoro after speaking with him - with a black interior. He is outside of Milwaukee.
The 1 of 3 car that my folks had was Midnight Green with parchment interior.

Old 02-28-2022, 01:40 PM

Default 428 from Ross

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegpho View Post
Hiya Keith! Hope you are well!

More info; we sold the car (69 GP) to Ross Schneider in 1984; he was a GTO guy and while he pulled the engine (and trans) and scrapped the car in 1985 - he never put the engine in anything.
I tracked Ross down in the mid-90s and he still had it. I told him to keep my contact info someplace with easy access, like the front of his refrigerator. I should have moved on it then. Some time later he was at a local cruise in (somewhere in the western suburbs of Chicago) and got to talking to some Pontiac guys. He thought one of them had a green 69 Firebird - like my contact at the St. Charles shows. (That is why I inquired with Firebird guy at that show, he stated he had a friend with a bunch of Pontiac parts including blocks & engines.)

At any rate, Ross had these guys over to his house in Addison IL. They came with a truck and bought everything he had. Ross didn't have any contact info for them. This would have been anywhere from 1995 through 1997. When I called Ross again that is when he told me he sold everything.

We knew the entire history on the engine - it had 80K on it and nothing done to it except for pushrods and timing chain. So, this would have probably been a complete engine - carb to pan, with a stick-shift numbered Quadrajet, chrome valve covers and air cleaner lid, #48 heads, etc.

Any leads would be appreciated. This was the first Pontiac engine I ever got to do any work on!
I used to hang out at Dukes Drive In on Harlem Ave when I lived in Lockport, IL. I bought a 69 428HO engine from Ross in 1997 or so. It was a complete engine with correct carb, 48 heads, distributor, alternator. etc. It also had long branch exhaust manifolds on it. I was going to put together a Royal GTO clone but ended up selling the engine in 1999 to an unknown person. Maybe the same motor?

Carl

Old 03-09-2022, 01:41 PM

Carl - thanks SO MUCH for posting! I had not been on here for quite some time and just checked in.
YES - that would have been the engine!
I was in my first home when I communicated with Ross - both when he had the engine and the after he sold it. The first home was sold in fall of 1998 so you buying it in 1997 or so makes sense.

Now - think back - any details on to whom you might have sold it?
A name? A first name? Approximate location?

Also - did you obtain a 3spd top-loader or a Muncie 4spd when you bought the engine? Not that a 3spd is worth anything beyond scrap value, typically.

Last edited by joegpho; 03-09-2022 at 02:17 PM. Reason: 3spd
Old 07-05-2022, 11:00 PM

Mr. Braun,
I sent you a PM here and also mailed you a letter.
I provided the PHS of the car the engine was from along with a few copies of photos of my current GP.
I don't know if you received it. I never received a "return to sender".
There has to be more details on to whom you sold the engine to.
My personal e-mail and phone were in the letter.
Please let me know if you received my letter or not. Thank you!

Old 08-05-2022, 11:46 PM

Just a follow up - sold out of Homer Glen or Aurora, IL - advertised in Goatfinder and/or Tradein Times - engine sold complete on stand in 1999.
Finder's fee available! (Even if the engine is IN car, it would just be great to document.)

Last edited by joegpho; 08-05-2022 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Added info.
Old 10-11-2023, 07:30 PM

Default Any update?

Joe

I sent over information over on the 428 I sold in ‘99. I gave you the name of the guy who bought it after I advertised it in Tradin times.

Any good news tracking town Mitch???

Carl

Old 10-16-2023, 11:51 PM

Hi Carl! I haven't been on here for a few months.
I did see your PM and did find a Mitch Romanowski, but not the same guy. (He does deal in reproduction center caps for Buick rally wheels.) My search goes on - but my huge THANKS for the information!
I can't see a complete 428 being just thrown away in the last 20 years, so that's why I think the engine is still out there.