Old 08-13-2022, 08:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 1977 W72 Y82 SE build

Some of you guys might remember I posted picking up a 77 SE a while back. It's time I finally did something with it.

The short story is I found it listed online in Maine, and bought it from the son of the original owner. His Dad bought it new at a local dealer, and spent its life up in Milo, ME. Somewhere along the line it was lightly customized by having the original striping hand painted, along with the bird being hand painted and gold leafed.

It's been sitting since 1995. It was shuffled from garage to garage, before being stuck in the woods and forgotten. We made a deal and after a 7 hour round trip it was in it's new home.

It still retains all its original panels, although will need some work on the quarters. Everything structural is perfect. The floor pans need some help, but I have a one piece floor for it. The trunk, rear rails, and tail panel are great.

I dropped the gas tank and surprisingly it was fine. I changed all the fluids, power washed the entire bottom of the car, threw in a fresh battery and a good carb I had laying around, and it fired right up. Great oil pressure, no smoke, no top end noise, nothing. Pretty cool.

My plan is to put it on the rotisserie and completely do it over, but currently my 70TA is on it, and I have a 78 W72 Y82 currently being painted, so instead of this bird sitting in the garage waiting its turn I decided I'm going to drive it like it is for a while.

I'm in the process of installing FiTech fuel injection, getting new tires, and giving it a once over. I'll be sure to document its journey back to life after 25 years of slumber in the woods.

The pics of it on the trailer is when I picked it up. The one of it up on the lift is after buffing the paint back with some agression compound on a rotary buffer. It actually shines up pretty good. lol

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 08-14-2022, 01:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That's an exciting acquisition! I'd like to see more of the hand-painted trim. Also, not too bad underneath... my first '77 T/A had rust holes in the rear frame sections (the same ones you pictured) by 1987 and I had to rebody it.

After living in AZ for a quarter century, my views on what's worth taking on as a project car have changed, but that one would still be tempting.

Old 08-14-2022, 08:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

no a/c 4 speed i love that.

Old 08-15-2022, 07:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscle_collector View Post
no a/c 4 speed i love that.
It's a pretty low optioned car. The big ticket item was the deluxe interior, W72 and Y82. They definitely knew what they wanted when they bought it! I gotta look at the phs again, but I think the only other options were HD Battery and HD Headlights.

I test fit the FiTech throttle body today. I was surprised to find it fits under the shaker base no problem. It's installed in the pic, and you cant tell at all.

I removed the intake so I can modify it to fit the throttle body. I need to open up the 4 individual holes designed for a Q-Jet and make them two large openings, like a typical dual plane into. I could use a spreadbore adapter, but it would push the shaker up too high, and then I'd need a drop base. I'm not doing that nonsense. The 4 center bolts on the intake were a nightmare. They rotted to the point they looked like carriage bolts. A cut off wheel, air hammer, and stripped bolt sockets eventually got them out.

1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
The Following User Says Thank You to 72projectbird For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2022, 09:46 PM

Damn, wish I would find one close to that condition! All my cars are apart. Keep telling myself to buy better projects. Would love to have a survivorish se some day.

Old 08-16-2022, 12:43 AM
Suspended

So guys who ticked more options didn't know what they wanted?! Or just wanted more haha.
One thing about a neglected car, you know not much has been messed with! Still very cool to inspect.

Old 08-16-2022, 06:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I started cutting the intake today. I put on a 4 hole gasket to give a visual on what's getting chopped out. I got it roughly cut out, and JB Welded the EGR hole closed on the inside of the intake. I'll blend it and snap a pic when it's done.

1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 08-17-2022, 06:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Heres a pic after the rough cut (very rough). I'll get in there and smooth out and blend everything nicely with a burr bit.

1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 08-19-2022, 07:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Got the intake blended out, installed with new gaskets, and got the throttle body on. Ran the fuel lines, which is Fragola Push-lok in -6AN. Got the fuel pump mounted out back. Just have a little wiring to do, and it'll be done.

1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 08-22-2022, 01:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Update:

Called tech support. They say it sounds like the ecu is dead. They want $250 to look at it. Asked if I could return the unit and they hung up.*

Screw them, screw this ****ty ass unit, and I'm going with a Holley Sniper as soon as they're in stock again. I guess for now I'll rebuild the Q-Jet and suffer with that thing.

1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 08-26-2022, 03:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

I know a lot of folks like modern stuff like the FI unit you have, but Cliff can send you ALL the parts you need, including an electric choke conversion AND ANY tech support you my need, if you were closer and not injured, I'd volunteer to help. Cliff can even send you new jets and metering rods to calibrate your for today's current gas and the exact state your engine is in.

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 08-26-2022, 10:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 TRASHCAN View Post
I know a lot of folks like modern stuff like the FI unit you have, but Cliff can send you ALL the parts you need, including an electric choke conversion AND ANY tech support you my need, if you were closer and not injured, I'd volunteer to help. Cliff can even send you new jets and metering rods to calibrate your for today's current gas and the exact state your engine is in.
I'm a fuel injection guy. I hate not having any faith in my Q-Jets to not boil fuel after I shut it off. I hate the long cranking time if it's been sitting a few days and I dont have an electric pump to help it etc. etc.

That said, this car has the correct carb, so I will rebuild it and eventually put it back on. Nobody wanted to touch it as its frozen shut, but I've had it soaking in a concoction of stuff in a large bucket, and it's starting to break free. I guess carb shops nowadays only want to rebuild ones that are already fully functioning.

Right now I have an Edelbrock on it. It fits beautifully as I already chopped up the intake for the fuel injection. I just blocked off the egr with a freeze plug and tac welded it in place for good measure. Runs great. I was actually able to take the car down the street for its first time in 27 years!

1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 08-26-2022, 05:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Good job on the intake mods!!!

Shut it off
Shut it off
Old 08-29-2022, 03:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Put its first miles on it. Just a little shake down to see what it needs and what can wait. The power steering pump is a little weak and noisy when turning while not moving. The clutch release point is on the high side, but seems to grab ok. Oil pressure is good. Overall not too bad for sitting 27 years!

A little black duct tape takes care of the seat covers for the time being. Installed a spare pioneer head unit I had on the shelf in the console (not cutting the dash) and some 6x9s out back. Sounds pretty good.

1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 08-29-2022, 04:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Love the license plate! And I've always liked the way the '77 shaker scoop sits lower in the hood than other years.... it's slightly more subtle from the driver's seat.

Old 08-29-2022, 06:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Found the PHS for it. Doesn't have a whole lot of options, but has some good ones.

1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
The Following User Says Thank You to 72projectbird For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2022, 01:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks like it wouldn't take much to do some spot panting (although it would still be crude, in comparison to a proper repaint). A little sanding and some black paint would make that patina disappear!!!

Shut it off
Shut it off
Old 08-30-2022, 03:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 TRASHCAN View Post
Looks like it wouldn't take much to do some spot panting (although it would still be crude, in comparison to a proper repaint). A little sanding and some black paint would make that patina disappear!!!
Yeah, the previous owners kid went around it with some primer to protect the exposed metal, but he went a little overboard.

This car will end up on a rotisserie this winter and sent to the sand blaster, so I'm not too concerned about making it look much better. I did go over the paint with a buffer and heavy cutting compound, and it shines pretty good for what it is lol

1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 08-30-2022, 05:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

LOVE IT

Old 08-31-2022, 12:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Great to see it driving again! It is a most worthy candidate of a high quality resto.

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4