Old 08-19-2022, 12:11 PM

Default Many kinds of drivers and users...

Had the heat soak issue with my '65 Bonneville carb (boiling gas) and ordered the Edelbrock insulator for it and decided to take the carb apart, just in case since I noticed red silicone sealer peaking from between the top cover. Well, taking it off noticed something funny with the intake/carb-gasket, first, it was self made and second, it was made out of a milk carton.

Then when taking the carb apart noticed the other fuel metering rod was stuck and one float was filled half with gas (leaking). Bowls full of crap etc. Red silicone sealer was used because the gasket was in 3 pieces...

I ordered a rebuild kit for it and soldered the leak after emptying it. I weighted it (13 grams) and put it under water under a weight and will check the weight again in the morning if the weight increased.

Why is it so difficult to do things properly for some people? The guy I bought it from said that he threw a better carb on it since the old one was worn out...

Old 08-19-2022, 12:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiralfey View Post
Had the heat soak issue with my '65 Bonneville carb (boiling gas) and ordered the Edelbrock insulator for it and decided to take the carb apart, just in case since I noticed red silicone sealer peaking from between the top cover. Well, taking it off noticed something funny with the intake/carb-gasket, first, it was self made and second, it was made out of a milk carton.

Then when taking the carb apart noticed the other fuel metering rod was stuck and one float was filled half with gas (leaking). Bowls full of crap etc. Red silicone sealer was used because the gasket was in 3 pieces...

I ordered a rebuild kit for it and soldered the leak after emptying it. I weighted it (13 grams) and put it under water under a weight and will check the weight again in the morning if the weight increased.

Why is it so difficult to do things properly for some people? The guy I bought it from said that he threw a better carb on it since the old one was worn out...
Falls Under can’t fix stupid. �� every time I buy something used online I see things done poorly and shake My head . I have a 69 convertible the numb skulls decided to weld in the floor pans above the frame connectors instead of slitting them and welding them to the frame connectors. What idiots. IMO Car needs a full floor pan now. Coulda j just done it right the first time

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
Old 08-19-2022, 01:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

PO Probably thinks of himself as a "car guy" as well..

1968 GTO 4-spd convertible, console, factory gauges, hidden headlights, 3.90:1 posi, AM/FM radio.

1962 Catalina convertible, Starlight black w maroon interior & white top.
Old 08-19-2022, 05:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Some people love cars but have a limited skill set. I realized this myself after trying to do full restorations 100% by myself. I realized I hated doing bodywork and I was just fair as a painter. Mechanical stuff is what i am best at and I do that exclusively now. The 62 Catalina I bought 7 years ago had a terrific body, paint and trim. Was supposed to be a "restored car". It was a mechanical nightmare. Rear end, transmission, engine, wiring, accessories all in terrible condition, missing parts or not working at all. When I finish the engine soon, everything will be working correctly for the first time in decades I guess. It would be nice if people would stick to their strengths and not screw things up. All part of the hobby.

Old 08-19-2022, 07:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

To check a float for leaks fill a clear glass 7/8s with water, put it in the microwave for 30 seconds, and then immerse the float in it. If there is a leak you will see bubbles instantly. If there are no bubbles there is no leak.