Non Pontiac Motors in Pontiacs includes factory 403,305,350 Chevy, Buick V6,
Also Pontiac Motors in non-Pontiacs!

Old 09-23-2004, 04:24 PM

I'm looking into putting a Chevy 350 in my 67 Firebird to get my by until I can get the original rebuilt. I was curious what mounting brackets anyone else who has done this used. We thought about using the brackets from a Camero, but thought we should make sure they would work before purchasing them. Also, any other things that we might need or be overlooking.

Thanks in advance,

Kenny

Old 09-23-2004, 04:24 PM

I'm looking into putting a Chevy 350 in my 67 Firebird to get my by until I can get the original rebuilt. I was curious what mounting brackets anyone else who has done this used. We thought about using the brackets from a Camero, but thought we should make sure they would work before purchasing them. Also, any other things that we might need or be overlooking.

Thanks in advance,

Kenny

Old 09-23-2004, 07:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As the Firebird is essentially the same as a Camaro, (1st generation F-Body) you should only need to locate engine and frame mounts for the Chevy engine.

One thing you need to consider is that the original transmission has what is referred to as the "BOP" bellhousing. BOP stands for Buick, Olds, Pontiac and is evidenced by the c shaped valley on top, Chevies have a peak on the top of the bellhousing. In other words, the original transmission will not mate to the chevy without an adaptor. You might be able to locate the adaptor at Jegs Racing. If the adaptor isn't available, you'll have to locate a Chevy specific tranny.

Also, keep in mind that all hoses, wires, and linkages will have to be adapted.

If you already have a good 350, you're probably working a good angle $ wise. However, if you need to procure an engine, be advised that the Pontiac 400 is available for a song. It wouldn't take much effort to find a decent engine in a salvage facility and go that way.

I purchased a "good" 455 last month for about what a decent 350 is worth.

I hope this helps.

Old 09-23-2004, 07:45 PM

Thanks for the reply. That was what we were hoping. We do have a Chevy transmission to go with the motor so we can avoid having to find an adapter, but thanks for that information as well.

If I manage to get enought money saved up I might have to go for the 400 .

Thanks again,

Kenny

Old 09-23-2004, 07:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Where are you located? No city in your profile.

There are many people around with extra engines available. However, if you've already got the engine forget what I said.

Old 09-23-2004, 08:01 PM

I just got finished updating my profile with that information. I am located in Atchison, KS. About 45min north of Kansas City.

I also have a Pontiac 350 out of a 68 that was in the car when I got it, but it needs rebuilt. We are debating on spending the money on rebuilding it or using an the Chevy 350 that my dad has that is already in working order.

Thanks again,

Kenny

Old 09-24-2004, 09:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Kenny, if you perform the work yourself, you can rebuild that 350 and make it run quite well.

If it's not cracked, or any major ridge action at the top of the cyliner, you might be able to do a simple hone, slap a timing chain on it, bearings, rings, gaskets and you're done. I think it would be kinda fun to do a rebuild on an engine and see just how few dollars could be spent. Talk about a performance challenge!

Heck, you could post a question in the Street area and see if anyone has any extra goodies for a 350 they would be willing to give up for a reasonable price.

The nice thing about this is the ease of changing over and back if you so desire.

Old 10-06-2004, 10:44 AM

I just wanted to post a follow up on this thanking you for you help. We ended up going with the Chevy 350 and everything is going well. We should be ready to fire it up in a day or so. I'm really getting anxious to get it out and go for a ride.

Thanks again,

Kenny

Old 02-12-2022, 03:11 AM

Did you ever get it going what did you do about the headers fitting past the steering box. What headers did you use I'm doing the same thing and don't want to ding them or find some that don't need much work.