WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 1993-02 Firebird/Trans Am Owners > 93-02 Engine Tech

93-02 Engine Tech LT1 and LS1 motor heads unite!

Old 04-07-2007, 01:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Question '01 F-body no start problem......

Hello all,
Here is my long description of what I am dealing with.
In my garage sits my daughter's '01 Camaro. I had it towed here last night because it won't turn over. She drove it somewhere, cut it off for less than 5 minutes, and when she returned it would not spin over. All dash lights/headlights work fine, along with any accessories. It acts as if the transmission is not in park when the key is turned. No click, nothing, but the dash stays lit. The fuel pump does activate and run. I tried starting in neutral and every other gear. I changed the battery, too. Also tried her like-new spare GM key and no change.
She got the car when it was one year old and it has no history of a problem like this. I have heard before that the key (or switch) has a microchip and that they have to recognize each other or the anti-theft system will not allow the car to start. I have also heard that these systems fail if the key is too worn. Her friend had a similar problem with her Camaro and the dealer said they had to go into her column to correct the problem. My son has a Cadillac, and I understand that they are prone to do this, too. So it sounds to me that GM cars
My questions are,
Does it sound like the anti-theft system is causing this?
Any other possibilities that some of you have experienced on a late model GM?
If that is the cause, what usually has to be done to correct it?
How can it be tested to determine that it is indeed the anti-theft system? Any simple tests that I can do without a scanner?
If I cannot fix it I would like to have an idea of what is causing this before sending it to the dealer$$$$$$hip.
The only other time I have had this happen was on a Hurst/Olds I owned that had a starter solenoid go bad. That is where I am inclined to start.

Any advise/opinions are appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
Old 04-07-2007, 05:04 PM
Senior Chief

Doubt its the anti theft, normally they'd start and then die a few seconds later and light the security light. Check the solenoid and ls1tech.com.
Went 12's in pure daily driver trim! A/C, leather power seats, power
steering, full stereo, sound deadening, power windows, full suspension,
true street tires, power 4 wheel discs, and 25MPG!
Old 10-09-2008, 01:12 PM

yeah it should run for a second if it is the theft system. check the starter by arcing the activating terminal to the 12 volt battery cable to see if it is the starter.
Old 02-08-2009, 04:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My 02 did that. I pulled all of the fuses under the hood to check them. Put them back in and didn't have the problem after that. Just a thought.