Old 12-15-2012, 10:08 PM

Default ATX 65 progress thread

Hey Guys

I'm pretty new to the forum, but I've been spending a lot of time reading old posts. My favorites are the progress threads. I feel like I've learned so much reading through a few of the restorations chronicled here. I started a frame off restoration of a '65 GTO on November 10th. I'm still in disassembly, but getting close to being done with that phase.

The car is an original tripower, 4 speed, 3.55 limited slip, rally gauge, power antenna optioned car. PHS doesn't indicate power brakes or steering, but it had both when I bought it. Color was Capri Gold with Gold interior. As you can see from the pictures, it has faded to a weird avocado like color.

Disassembly has bee a breeze so far. Very little rust on the car, body seems pretty straight, and nothing has put up a fight when being removed. The drivers quarter has been replaced at some point, and it looks like the car is wired for an electric fuel pump.

I'm sure I'm going to be posting a bunch of questions once I start refinishing parts and putting this back together. Just want to say thanks in advance for all the thought and time that goes into your replies. A few of you have already helped me out!

Regards,
Brad
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0385.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	306307   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0388.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	306308   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0525.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	306309   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0587.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	306310  

Old 12-16-2012, 12:43 PM

Brad, very solid looking project. Where was the 65 from originally? That Capri Gold, in it's faded condition, sure looks like my 64 did when I picked it up in '94, it was Saddle Bronze. Both are cute names for 'Brown' ;-).
Mike T.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Take lots of pictures as you take it apart. Even of stuff you may not think is so important. Its like archaeology. No matter if its a concourse trailer queen or a driver this stuff is important to you or someone. Don

Old 12-16-2012, 01:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

X2 on lots of pics.

Best advice I was given was, 'One piece at a time. Don't look at the entire project as it may seem overwhelming.'

Looks like you have a real solid car to begin with, Welcome to the board, and enjoy the process.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:42 PM

This kills me. I found a Bill of Sale in the center console dated 12/3/83. Car was sold from Ray Vickers Special Cars in Farmington, NM to a gentleman in Grand Junction, CO for $200. Yep, 200 bucks...

The car was registered in 2005 in Michigan to a relative of the guy who bought the car in '83. The next bit of history is a registration in Rensselaer Indiana in 2011

I bought it from a gentleman out of Chicago in September of this year who only had the car 2 months.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:37 AM

you are right tho that interior has faded to a strange color haha

Old 12-19-2012, 07:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Guy in Chicago? Who? May I ask? (* you can use PM, here at P.Y.) The car looks really clean from the pictures, and, the advise on pics, is right on the money. This Tech Section has some very knowledgable folks, so, don't be afraid to ask questions. Larry B.

Old 12-20-2012, 03:09 PM

Take pictures of everything, zip lock bag all nuts and bolts, and note and log where they came from. I'm in the process of putting mine back together and I've gone back a lot to look at pictures to see how they go back together.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default ATX 65 progress thread

We all hate you for finding such a clean, straight car. Just kidding. Took me nine years to finish my '65, and I received much help from this forum's members. We will be glad to help you also. Let us hear from you as the restoration progresses.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:51 PM
Senior Chief

Whoaaaa,...those are some really trick sunvisors!!

Old 12-27-2012, 08:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Welcome - looks like a great foundation for a project.

One question: in the title it says "ATX" 65 progress thread. What does the "ATX' mean?

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 12-27-2012, 09:52 PM

ATX = Austin, Texas

I grew up with a washing machine in the basement that was the same color green......

Old 01-19-2013, 12:39 PM

Default Turning a corner

A little more than 2 months into this and I've finally got it stripped! Pulling the body off next week, just need to assemble my new body cart...

Fenders, inner fenders, doors, hood, and trunk are all at the shop getting media blasted. Unless the blasting reveals anything I haven't seen yet, I think I can get away with going straight to primer and blocking on those parts. No rust that I could see and no damage that needs attention. We'll see once it's down to bare metal

Body has a few issues. Worried about quality of drivers quarter replacement.

Name:	DSC_0759.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	310232

Name:	DSC_0762.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	310233

Name:	DSC_0764.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	310234

Name:	DSC_0765.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	310235

Old 01-20-2013, 01:59 PM

Awesome

Old 01-21-2013, 12:35 AM
Senior Chief

Looks great Brad! Gonna love to see the progress on this car. You have a great group of guys here to offer advise from, just as they have been doing with my build. From the pics, it looks like you have a fine candidate for a resto. From the looks o those pics, the drivers 1/4 looks pretty decent. Whats wrong with it? You'd be amazed at what can be done to metal just to keep from performing such a big task of a 1/4 replacement. I'll try and get out there and check it out sometime.

Say.....I'll give you $250 cash money right now for it. Deal? Good, see ya in the morning with a trailer.

~Joe

Build thread for my poppa ~~> CLICKY CLICKY
Old 01-27-2013, 10:55 PM

Default Body off!

I got a few hours to work on the GTO this weekend. Battled with body bolts and eventually won. Lifted the body off today with the help of my neighbor, and my wife for keeping the kids inside

Frame looks great. Body is going for blasting this week and I'll work on taking everything off the frame for blasting and powder coat.

A little sad that disassembly is coming to an end. Going to have to make some decisions about brakes and wheels that I've been waffling on for a few months now........

Name:	DSC_0784.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	311369

Name:	DSC_0791.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	311370

Name:	DSC_0793.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	311371

Old 01-28-2013, 01:50 AM
Senior Chief

Lookin' good there Brad! I see the engine hoist idea worked. It worked perfect for me. Took a little bit of a balancing act, but it worked great.... and I did it all by myself!

Looks like you have a fine project there sir. Can't wait to see it take shape.

~Joe

Old 02-09-2013, 12:12 PM

Default Interesting what blasting reveals

I got my doors, fenders, hood, and trunk back from media blasting yesterday. Everything looked awesome with the exception of the drivers fender. Some rust, and 2 big repair spots. Hard to see in pictures, but forward dent is a good 1/4" deep. Filler must have been thick there.

Frame got loaded on trailer after these were off loaded and the body gets picked up Monday.

Taking the rear end apart today for stripping. Man, this is fun stuff!

Old 02-09-2013, 03:54 PM
Senior Chief

Brad, that fender is fixable. On the pic below, it does look like it had a ton of filler in it. I say bang out the dent from the inside, then use a hammer and dolly to smooth it out. You may need a shrinking dolly after all that work on a larger(er) flat surface. Once you get that done you need to close up those holes with a mig while you use a flat copper plate on the backside. Don't get it hot...do one tack weld at a time so you don't warp anything. Once your done with that, dolly some more and get it as close as you can....a small skimming of filler is not against the rules and your build primer is just an additional friend to help out.

As for the lower portion, I would order a new lower fender patch for that and be done with it. Use what you need off of that patch and fix what's bad. Remember to keep as much of the original sheetmetal as you can. There is not one single reproduction that is superior in quality as to that of OEM metal.

Body work is fun (I didn't say easy) if you have the patience....when you feel that you are not having fun with it, step back for a breather/beer and think about it....it works for me.

One other thing....you need to get some primer on those immediately.

Picture from another angle....

Old 02-10-2013, 09:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I wish I had that weather to work on mine. Keep goin.

Greg