Old 05-27-2022, 01:13 PM

64 is the hardest year to decode as there were so many changes and plants all differed it seems. Not a true model car change over and yes there are always running changes, but January was a big change for part number consolidations and the like and the 3.23 gear/heavy duty radiator change is a major change in my opinion. This car is in pieces as it was when I got it. has a 683 alt with dual pulley, and dual pulley water pump. Heads and intake are all cast in August/Sept. 63? will have to look when they get back from machine shop and now that makes since that this engine is from November production, was not sure if they were the factory parts and they may still not be. Engine is at machine shop several month delays (since December) has no W stamp. They are not sure if block can be saved, same with the trans as it is FUBAR (broken gears and ears), rear end has 4.33 gears in it and is not the factory housing (66 housing). This car was raced heavy as well, headers and had a SBC/th400 as the last running engine in it (parked since the early 80's). The other early build 64 that my friend had was built in November 63 and was a black, with red interior, 4spd 3.90 gear car, it had the 76x block with no 9 stamp on it as well, only 76x and production sequence number, this was the car that had the 706 Muncie case. This car was raced as the quarters were cut when he got it for slicks/headers welded on drag bars etc. It still retained the factory engine with some mods, headers and the like, but the engine number and protecto plate matched the engine. This car was sold twenty plus years ago when he passed. This car also had the dual alt. pulley setup with no power steering on it as well, it was made at the Pontiac plant. It was low mileage and had a trailer tow bar welded to the front. I have a SR block that I will run if block cannot be saved, may look into I new trans case and re-gear it as well. 4.33 gears are going to stay as are the headers and cragars and the drag slicks/traction bars, as they have all been on it since the sixty's.

Old 05-27-2022, 03:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V. View Post
...but not sure if PMD engineering was at fault or those Final Plants were at fault.
John - It's always engineering's fault, even when it is not their fault.

Believe me.

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 05-28-2022, 07:10 PM
Boost Engineer

Been there. Tom V

Engineers do stuff for reasons, everyone else makes excuses.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 05-29-2022, 06:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Keith/Tom, about 40 years ago my wife needlepointed the wall art seen in the attached. I proudly hung it on my office wall.

I always thought the traits shown on the bottom line were intended to show two admirable qualities of every engineer.

One day maybe 20 years ago, I was staring at it and it suddenly hit me.

That was a more than symbol between the two.

Faultless more than Accurate??!! How dare they.

I had to laugh at myself for missing the sarcasm for all those years.

Engineers only to blame in the minds of the lesser intellects, ie., everybody else.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2250.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	591749  

Old 05-30-2022, 08:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V. View Post
Keith/Tom, about 40 years ago my wife needlepointed the wall art seen in the attached. I proudly hung it on my office wall.

I always thought the traits shown on the bottom line were intended to show two admirable qualities of every engineer.

One day maybe 20 years ago, I was staring at it and it suddenly hit me.

That was a more than symbol between the two.

Faultless more than Accurate??!! How dare they.

I had to laugh at myself for missing the sarcasm for all those years.

Engineers only to blame in the minds of the lesser intellects, ie., everybody else.
Hey John! That's funny stuff, and SO true. Thanks for sharing.
Hope you got the starting issue solved with the 64'!

62' Lemans, Nostalgia Super Stock, 541 CI, IA2 block, billet 4.5" crank, Ross, Wide port Edelbrocks, Gustram intake, 2 4150 style BLP carbs, 2.10 Turbo 400, 9" w/4:30 gears, 8.76 @153, 3100lbs
Old 05-31-2022, 09:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey Gary, solved the recent no start and it runs great at idle. Because my road washed out, it remains parked, don't care to drive it on the gravel alternate. Pretty convinced the coil is causing the drivability issue on extended drives but need to prove it under load once the road gets fixed. Expected late summer at best. Sad to be losing a driving season and I have to resist the temptation to say screw it and drive the gravel road that is already beating up the daily driver up.

G.T.O.boy, can't say I agree that the '64 is hardest to decode. It is definitely the most fun year for me to research but I've spent decades solving little Pontiac trivia mysteries affecting the '64 and other Model Years simply because I enjoy it. Never felt the '64 was more difficult to decode.

Rather than further clog up this special Registry thread, I'll start a new thread about '64 Alternators.

Old 04-12-2023, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisp View Post
Here is my 1964 GTO Tri-power 4 speed registry PHS documented original engine is long gone , 461 with 66 trips .
Crisp,
Question are you running disc or drum brakes on your car? I see that you have 14” wheels and a duel master cylinder. My car is power 4 wheel drum breaks with a single master cylinder. My desire is to keep the drums / Hurst wheels and just replace the single with a new double master cylinder. You may have what I’m planning to install, can you provide me with any information on what you have and where you found the parts.
Thanks in advance
Bob

Old 04-12-2023, 08:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by donziboy View Post
Crisp,
Question are you running disc or drum brakes on your car? I see that you have 14” wheels and a duel master cylinder. My car is power 4 wheel drum breaks with a single master cylinder. My desire is to keep the drums / Hurst wheels and just replace the single with a new double master cylinder. You may have what I’m planning to install, can you provide me with any information on what you have and where you found the parts.
Thanks in advance
Bob
PM sent

Old 04-13-2023, 12:37 PM

Got it thank you