Old 06-12-2022, 04:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If I lost my blue jack where do I get one at? Last time I see it,it was in garage at my dad's house. Yes I took dad's car apart. Lol I needed big speaker box in trunk!

Old 06-12-2022, 11:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramairnacho View Post
So.original was a 14 but they don't make space saver tire any more? And next best thing is the 15 inch? Hmm now I see why dad had a actual extra tire in trunk. Lol
I think I'm missing my magic decoder ring for some of these posts... har-har.

Let me see if I can reply to that;
These cars would typically come with a fifth wheel as a (full sized) spare - the fifth wheel was the same type as the other four, unless a space saver spare was opted.
I believe that the older space savers were 14" but I have never cared to aqquire any myself - if my car had the option, I suspect I would have gone down that rabbit hole too...

I more or less fell into the two space saver spares that I currently have.

Regarurding wheels for my car, I was first occupied with trying to find 7" wide steelies, then decided to pursue a correct set of CL wheels.

@ Dennis;
My gut says your source of those wheels is a contact I have in my phone;
but we were speaking about a completely different vehicular subject.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 06-13-2022, 12:21 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks my car did come with spaces saver option ,I'll locate one but wish they just sold a new 14 inch space saver tire. Thanks. I'll hunt one down and a jack if possible. Thanks for input.

Old 07-23-2022, 10:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Bad News/Good News

The Bad News, RAIII in the Formula has a slight, but deep, audible knock, so we are thinking one of the rod bearings isn't too happy. It came on after the maiden cruise down to last years TA Nationals, though the oil pressure was good (20 psi at idle and 65-70 psi at any rpm over 2000) and the running temps at 185-190 degrees during the hot muggy 90+ weather during that time of year, we don't want to push it.

The Good News is we caught it before anything really bad happened and, well, I have to rebuild the original, never been apart, RAIII. We're going to pull the engine this fall and do the usual routine (in the same spirit as the XV 400 in the '70 Tempest) with new Icon custom forged pistons (.010" - .020" over hopefully) with a slight dish, Eagle H-beam rods, and new Ferrea 1-piece valves and new dual springs in the #12 heads. We'll cut the head surfaces just enough to ensure they are flat and true. The block will be decked the absolute minimum to ensure reasonable 'squareness' and keep the pistons in the hole about .005" and set the quench at .040" with the head gaskets to get the compression to 9.9 (it Whistled at a true 10.5 compression). If the original 068 cam and lifters still are good, they'll be reinstalled. If not, then a 2801 cam with the 1.50 rocker arms. It will be dyno'd to see how it compares to other RAIII 400's in the past. We'll keep you informed as to our progress, but that will be no sooner than October after the dust settles from the Pure Stock Drags.

Dennis

The Following User Says Thank You to SD455DJ For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2022, 12:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 1970 ram air 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD455DJ View Post
The Bad News, RAIII in the Formula has a slight, but deep, audible knock, so we are thinking one of the rod bearings isn't too happy. It came on after the maiden cruise down to last years TA Nationals, though the oil pressure was good (20 psi at idle and 65-70 psi at any rpm over 2000) and the running temps at 185-190 degrees during the hot muggy 90+ weather during that time of year, we don't want to push it.

The Good News is we caught it before anything really bad happened and, well, I have to rebuild the original, never been apart, RAIII. We're going to pull the engine this fall and do the usual routine (in the same spirit as the XV 400 in the '70 Tempest) with new Icon custom forged pistons (.010" - .020" over hopefully) with a slight dish, Eagle H-beam rods, and new Ferrea 1-piece valves and new dual springs in the #12 heads. We'll cut the head surfaces just enough to ensure they are flat and true. The block will be decked the absolute minimum to ensure reasonable 'squareness' and keep the pistons in the hole about .005" and set the quench at .040" with the head gaskets to get the compression to 9.9 (it Whistled at a true 10.5 compression). If the original 068 cam and lifters still are good, they'll be reinstalled. If not, then a 2801 cam with the 1.50 rocker arms. It will be dyno'd to see how it compares to other RAIII 400's in the past. We'll keep you informed as to our progress, but that will be no sooner than October after the dust settles from the Pure Stock Drags.

Dennis
Yes please keep us informed.my engine rebuilt about 30 years ago and sat installed, I put my car on back burner and built a daily driver. I have #13 heads completely rebuilt and compression in close to 10 also the correct 12 that I might reinstall but will set back some money's but might be correct way to go. I like stock but was told the roller built is very good too so I'm very Interested

Old 07-23-2022, 06:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

Dennis
Looks like you'll be forced to run 93 octane fuel.. sound's great if that's your mission.
Really cant compare it to a 1970 RA III as todays racing fuel, and oil and bearing material are much improved. Curious to see the "old" rod bearings too.

Old 07-23-2022, 07:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

Dennis
Dennis, that is very close to how I built mine. I ended up with 10.13:1 compression. Been running nice on 91 octane for years now and I run the snot out of it. Will be cool to see this go together and put on the dyno

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
The Following User Says Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2022, 05:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
Dennis, that is very close to how I built mine. I ended up with 10.13:1 compression. Been running nice on 91 octane for years now and I run the snot out of it. Will be cool to see this go together and put on the dyno
Bruce, what cam did you use in your rebuild?

Dennis

Old 08-26-2023, 09:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The engine rebuild is on-hold as a certain '69 Custom S got in the way and sucked all the funds from this project. Hopefully, it can get back on track this fall.

In the meantime, I need to find a 'new' padded dash to replace the original warped and cracking pad. I see that OER may make a run of a reproduction dash for the 2nd Gen firebird, but I haven't heard anything about these. Have they made any and run out of stock? Anyone have any knowledge on these?

Sorry if this has been discussed before...

Thanks, Dennis
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OER Repro 2nd Gen Dash Pad.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	618824   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cracked Dashpad.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	618826  

Old 08-26-2023, 10:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Question:
Can ‘Just Dashes’ use the correct pattern grain for when they recover the dash, or are you essentially getting an equivalent to a reproduction (with presumably the later style gain pattern)?

2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 08-26-2023, 11:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I wish I knew. I hesitate using Just Dashes as you have to provide a core (I believe) and they are too puffy (Botox injected look) and need lots of work to fit vents and the dash insert. I think I watched a video that said they were using a more correct 'stretched' grain pattern than previously (could very well be wrong about this).

Dennis

Old 08-26-2023, 12:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by unruhjonny View Post
Question:
Can ‘Just Dashes’ use the correct pattern grain for when they recover the dash, or are you essentially getting an equivalent to a reproduction (with presumably the later style gain pattern)?
They do Not do a 1970 grain IIRC. Neither does AL K interiors.

Old 08-26-2023, 12:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
They do Not do a 1970 grain IIRC. Neither does AL K interiors.
Thanks for the info FB! I know this isn't going to be easy to find either a nice enough original, or a reproduction dash (if they are even being made).

Does A.K. just do recovers ala` J.D. with a core you supply?

Dennis

Old 08-26-2023, 03:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Granted I am not on social media much these days, but outside of people listing them here, I think that social media groups (Second Generation Graveyard comes to mind) would be the best ways to locate repop dashes.

The Following User Says Thank You to unruhjonny For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2023, 03:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Thanks for the info FB! I know this isn't going to be easy to find either a nice enough original, or a reproduction dash (if they are even being made).

Does A.K. just do recovers ala J.D. with a core you supply?

Dennis

You supply the core. And are you going to be a stickler and find an early dash or use your original? Also pictured is the grain.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FirebirdDash1.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	618867   Click image for larger version

Name:	FirebirdDash2.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	618868   Click image for larger version

Name:	FirebirdDashNewCover.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	618869  

Old 08-26-2023, 04:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dennis, any tornadoes out your way on Thursday night?

Old 08-26-2023, 08:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Held for Ransom View Post
You supply the core. And are you going to be a stickler and find an early dash or use your original? Also pictured is the grain.
That's what I thought. We do have a 'core' hanging as 'wall art' in the garage, so could use that to send in. Yes, that's the 'stretched' grain pattern that they apparently haven't been able, or bothered, to recreate yet.

Dennis

Old 08-26-2023, 08:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Held for Ransom View Post
Dennis, any tornadoes out your way on Thursday night?
We had one north of us a few miles where our sister lives with her family, and they had bad tree damage and lost power, still out. We faired better with minor tree damage. Dan is without power still and has to babysit his basement sump pump on the generator to make sure it keeps running and not flood the basement. The storm really hit harder in the southeast corner of the state where they had 5 fatalities. This system prevented us from attending the TA Nationals in Dayton this weekend, 1st time in 25 years for Dan, and 12 years for me, so we're bummed!

Dennis

Old 08-26-2023, 09:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The pattern I posted is what I got back from Al Knoch. Compared to the original pattern on the mid-70 ones.

Hopefully power can be restored quickly. Looked like a good turn out in OH.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FirebirdDashOldCover.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	618879  

Old 08-27-2023, 12:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

/\ wait, i thought the grain pattern was 70-72/73, then it changed??

That reads almost like it changed at or after the mid 70’s…