Old 07-07-2022, 08:59 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 1973 Headlight Harness Swap

I recently made the swap to all LED exterior lights and gauge cluster lights. So far so good. In the process, I discovered my rear tail light harness had really seen better days - lots of sloppy splices, a few ill-fitting sockets, and lots of surface rust on the contacts. I ordered a 1973 Rear Tail Harness from American Autowire and had it installed in a matter of minutes. Plugs right in behind the driver’s side rear seat and clamp down the ground wire.

While swapping out the front lights, I did end up swapping in a new socket and spending quite a bit of time with contact cleaner getting the sockets contacts working. It all works, but frankly, the front harness isn’t in much better shape than the rear was.

I am looking for any input / guidance on swapping out the fronm light harness. It ‘appears’ to be pretty self-explanatory. I’m guessing the main connector is at the bulkhead on the firewall - driver’s side?

On a couple of the pics I’ve seen online of replacement harnesses, I am seeing a few connectors that are obviously not light sockets or grounds. I have also read a couple of threads about the mid-year switch in 75 (or maybe 76) that included a safety lock-out wire and connector for the starter? I just don’t want to dig into too many unexpected surprises if I try to tackle this.

Again, this is for a 1973 car and the current headlight / front light harness is the original one.

Thank you!

Old 07-21-2022, 04:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

73 should be just a light and light ground harness. Have bought a couple of them . Plug and play. Routing the harness takes the most time. Cleaning the core support grounds is important. Make sure your bulbs have resistors or you use a plug in one so they flash correctly.

Old 07-21-2022, 05:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
73 should be just a light and light ground harness. Have bought a couple of them . Plug and play. Routing the harness takes the most time. Cleaning the core support grounds is important. Make sure your bulbs have resistors or you use a plug in one so they flash correctly.
Thank you very much. I am sure I can tackle this. The tail harness was a snap - but yes, snaking the front one into place will be more of a challenge.

After a ton of trial and error and hours online, I ended up leaving incandescent 194s in the Front Side Marker positions with LEDs in the front turn signal locations and everything works perfectly. If I put LED 194s in the front side marker positions, it works, but the side markers are super dim and the front turn signals are at about 70%. Swap in those old-school incandescent in the side marker positions and everything works as it should.

During that process, I did end up scraping the heck out of the core support grounds and then applying a nice film of dielectric grease around the bare spot before replacing the ground ring. So that should be good.

Thank you again for your help!

The Following User Says Thank You to PDC For This Useful Post: