Old 07-24-2022, 02:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 65 GTO alt light mystery

This car was restored by me, finishing up around 2011. There are 11000 miles on the restoration, which included new everything in the elec system. Also rebuilt the alternator. I keep it on a Battery Tender and checked the battery water level and cleaned the posts and clamps about 3 weeks ago just as routine upkeep. I use a small amount of dielectric grease on the posts after cleaning them.
The last two times I drove the car the alt light came on just after leaving the driveway and stayed on for about 2-3 miles before going off. On the first drive I had to crank on it several times before it started which is normal after the car has sat for several days. I figured I must have drained the battery a bit while doing this which caused the alt light to come on briefly. Seems odd to me though that I have had to crank on the engine like this numerous times over the years but never saw the alt light come on afterward.
On the most recent drive yesterday, I only had to hit the starter a couple of times. Pulled out of the drive and the alt light comes on. Drive 2-3 miles and light goes off.
Even though I have done 3 extensive restorations, I’m honest enough to admit that I am pretty much a dunce when it comes to troubleshooting elec issues. Would love to hear what anybody else has to say on this issue.

Old 07-24-2022, 03:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Voltage regulator contacts sticking?

Connect a voltmeter to a battery powered fusebox terminal, next time you go out. Check the voltage when the light comes on and goes out

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

The Following User Says Thank You to OG68 For This Useful Post: