THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-12-2022, 09:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Recent post about synchros brought back this Pontiac moment!

As a kid, I had a non-synchro first in the 3 speed in my '65 GTO clone. I used to call it my "ticket-beater". I once flew by a cop just as I power shifted 2nd and saw him (too late) on a sode street in my peripheral vision. I got off the gas, clutch in, and pulled the stick towards first making that godawful "Maytag trying to engage the spin cycle noise" as I coasted. by him. By the time he rolled up I was pulled over, hood up, leaning over the fender fiddling with nothing while "SOB-ing the car" and saying "Oh Jesus, I really did it this time, my dad is gonna kill me" over and over pretending not to notice the cop.

The cop kicked my foot and said "How bad?" Still staring at the engine like I was in shock, I said "Really bad ... rod right through the block. It's done." Cop said "Be careful, hope your dad kicks your ass for driving like that." and just left. I should have gotten an academy award.

You old timers ever have similar flashes of inspiration?

Old 08-12-2022, 10:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was on probation for racing,was at my friends house,went around a corner,stabbed it,went side ways looking at a parked cop car,got it straightened out,jump out,opened the hood and was banging on the carb when it came flying up.Yelled did you see that,throttle stuck!I thought it was going to be jail time.Told me to get home safe!I can drive right to that spot 60 plus years later!Tom

Old 08-12-2022, 10:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep!
Just played a show in Wildwood, drinking all night; Had my roadie with me; crazy looking long haired weirdo.
Cop pulls me over for speeding; sees the drums in the back and says "It really smells like alcohol in here"; "...you guys been drinking?"
I said "The agency doesnt let us drink onstage." I pointed to my roadie and said
"...But hes' drunk out of his mind."
The cop laughed and told me to drive safe.

Old 08-13-2022, 02:38 AM
Senior Chief

Around 1972? I had a 62 Catalina 348HP 4SPD Tri-Power 3:42 Posi car - it looked terrible. both front fenders, hood and both doors were black rest of the car was white. Needless to say the car was beat up. We used to race up & down Brotherhood Way (San Francisco - Westlake area) - motorcycle cop was hiding in the bushes waiting - I saw this cruising by on my first pass. Second pass some guy in a Beautiful white GTO was trying to get me to punch off so the cop would nail me. Not to disappoint I down shifted revved to 5,200RPM and side stepped the clutch smoking the tires. My car was making a LOT of noise but not going anywhere fast. The guy in the GTO was laughing and was right next to me laughing hard knowing the cop was going to nail me. I hit my brakes HARD the GTO went by the motorcycle cop with me about a car length behind - cop chased after the GTO - I made the return loop and the guy in the GTO was pointing at me cruising by in my ratty looking 62 Catalina. I honked & waved. I don't know what happened - I never saw that GTO again. It's all fun until you get $crewed in your own little game.

Last edited by T.Weber; 08-13-2022 at 02:42 AM. Reason: correct spelling
Old 08-13-2022, 07:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well in the 60s I was a cop. Radar cop - back then not every car had rader our PD had one radar car.. This was in Beaumont, Texas. On more than one Friday or Saturday night we would set up on 11th street, where the kids cruised from one Pig Stands to the other and as you know would often act out with their cars. A buddy of ours in a black and white would pull up on the curb about a block behind us and
pull his jack out and put it under his rear bumper and jack the rear end of the car up slightly. Some hot shot would go by, shoot him the finger and stab it. And we'd nail his a$$. Ha Ha Ha.

Old 08-13-2022, 07:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That's entrapment! Hehehe. A few years ago on 119 south. The state police got a penndot dump truck put it on bridge over 119 with radar!

Old 08-13-2022, 08:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Early-Mid 80s spent all day Satyrday installing a Big Cam. Finally ready for Break-In but had a date, showered and hoped to it, with a bit of fast stop light pull away on a main road that might have involved another car. Saw a cop in a Dealer lot and sure saw us. Well I crested a hill and turned right down a wooded road and parked with car running a very high idle.

Cop pulls up, asks if i was racing thae other car, i said naw just put this cam in and having trouble with the gas pedal, its stuck on high idle and jumpy, gonna overheat if i sit. He said okay good luck, and moved on. Phew. Don't remember the date at all.

Old 08-13-2022, 10:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I was visiting a friend in Denver back around ‘85. We were doing what we always did back then, cruising around drinking cheap beer. We had both just finished one and chucked them out the window. We both saw the cop sitting in a parking lot just as we tossed em. Crap!
My buddy had the gift of BS, where as I can’t lie to save my life. He immediately pulled into the next parking lot up the street. He shut it off and we both jumped out and popped the hood. I poked around like I was fixing something as the cop pulled up. My buddy kept saying “I’m sick of this old POS, I’m just trying to get it home”. The cop just said something like “Good luck” and drove away. I don’t know if he ever saw those empties flying out of the window or not. Jeez, the stupid stuff we did back then.

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 08-13-2022, 12:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Week I graduated high school 1972 the big IHRA Southern Nationals was going on and I was entered in my 409 Impala.. Me and my buddies just got it going again I think a new clutch. So open headers did a test run 1-2-3 not even into 4th up the adjacent street , turned around same thin back to the house. Running great, patting ourselves on the back. Then heard a helicopter(one of those small Bell "MASH" type) hoovering overhead! Ran inside . 5 minutes later two squad cars pull up and knock on the door. "Is that your red car son?" "Yes sir". "well since we did not see you we can't do anything but do us a favor put the mufflers on it and slow down".
next day towed it behind my friend's 1970 Challenger and won class.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	409 Race crew.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	596372  

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skip Fix For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2022, 02:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Brand new 'arrest me' red Formula. I was following a cop doing the speed limit. Nobody does the speed limit. Always 5-10 mph over. I wanted to to that 5 over, so like the smartass kid that I was, I passed the cop - at 5 over. Soon as I was past him on came the lights. He comes up and says 'I could throw the book at you, not just the speeding. Don't be such a jack ass'. And walked back. At that time a 5 over fine was not worth the cost of the paper of the ticket.

66 Chevy II 461 Pontiac in AZ
Old 08-13-2022, 05:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Fix View Post
Week I graduated high school 1972 the big IHRA Southern Nationals was going on and I was entered in my 409 Impala.. Me and my buddies just got it going again I think a new clutch. So open headers did a test run 1-2-3 not even into 4th up the adjacent street , turned around same thin back to the house. Running great, patting ourselves on the back. Then heard a helicopter(one of those small Bell "MASH" type) hoovering overhead! Ran inside . 5 minutes later two squad cars pull up and knock on the door. "Is that your red car son?" "Yes sir". "well since we did not see you we can't do anything but do us a favor put the mufflers on it and slow down".
next day towed it behind my friend's 1970 Challenger and won class.
Look like a bunch of hooligans.

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 08-13-2022, 07:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67drake View Post
I was visiting a friend in Denver back around ‘85. We were doing what we always did back then, cruising around drinking cheap beer. We had both just finished one and chucked them out the window. We both saw the cop sitting in a parking lot just as we tossed em. Crap!
My buddy had the gift of BS, where as I can’t lie to save my life. He immediately pulled into the next parking lot up the street. He shut it off and we both jumped out and popped the hood. I poked around like I was fixing something as the cop pulled up. My buddy kept saying “I’m sick of this old POS, I’m just trying to get it home”. The cop just said something like “Good luck” and drove away. I don’t know if he ever saw those empties flying out of the window or not. Jeez, the stupid stuff we did back then.
That is hilarious! I did just about the same exact thing minus the beer cans. I just put a 650 spreadbore on my 72 GP and was mowing through a couple of gears and happened to cross a cop going in the opposite direction. When I saw him whip a u-turn I pulled into a public park and popped the hood quickly and yanked the air cleaner off. As he walked up, he just heard me cussing angrily about the Holley carb not working properly. I never looked up at him as he approached but he asked if I had everything under control and I said "yes I will in a few minutes" and he left.

Another time, I jumped on my 80 TA and blew by a cop doing around 80 in a 35. Cop pulls me over and as he walking to the car by buddy Mark says "this might be your lucky day"... turns out Mark knew the cop and before I even handed him my license the cop said "you owe Mark a BJ and have a good night.... Mark never got paid but it sure was great getting out of the ticket.

Old 08-14-2022, 10:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67drake View Post
Look like a bunch of hooligans.
My employees(30s) say we look like some characters out of the movie "Dazed and Confused"

Cops also used the chopper to spot illegal fireworks in town over the 4th of July!

For a while the cops were enforcing the "no loitering" laws on our main cruise street Forest Lane in Dallas. We'd all have to jump in our cars and blast of of the parking lots quick when they started to pull in. that only last a couple of years before they gave up.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 08-17-2022, 01:12 PM

Had a incident with my 70 Lincoln, speeding up street, hit pothole and lost a hubcap. These weighed.20 pounds each . Rolled under a train el and landed in a McDonald s going the other way. I pulled an illegal left, went through the intersection the wrong way and pulled up to the hubcap. Of course the sirens were on and a police car pulled up behind me. An officer got out with his cowboy hat and boots. He said, you were speeding, made an illegal left, blew a light , license and registration! I started to plead, but gave him the info. I was walking back to my car when he came up and said Today is your lucky day!!! He pushed my info back at me, hustled to his car and took off with the lights on and siren blasting. My wife told me that she saw him getting a call o the radio just as he had my information ready to write.!!!

Old 08-17-2022, 01:26 PM

Default Test and Tune Run

Many years ago in my younger days.

I think I was synchronizing the carbs or something like that. Took my usual test circuit. Out of the neighborhood and right turn up the hill over the freeway. First gear, 7k, shift, second gear, 7k, shift, third gear, almost 7k, crest the hill…. OH S&@$ there’s motorcycle cop on top (thinking I’m headed to jail for being well over the limit on this one). Saving grace was that he was writing a speeding ticket on the other side of the road. But the look I got was you’re dead meat when I find you. Put in in fourth and kept rolling. Hid out at a friend’s place for the next 8 hours and took the back roads home.