THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-19-2022, 04:44 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
the complaints of cliffs i was referring to is that they charge 14-16% for ebay motors categories, they dont, its 12.9% but on the total price including shipping & taxes because they are processing those payments... just like all credit card companies did before the internet, buy a pair of jeans from sears & sears has to pay visa their fees on the full sale amount including taxes.... which sears passed on to the consumers. the other complaints about buying boxes, ink, paper etc are just things you gotta buy to operate a business...

ive been selling on ebay at a pretty large volume for 20+ years until the last couple years ive toned it down quite a bit, mainly because the market for parting out 2nd gen firebirds has got stupid, $500-$1000 rusty parts car with no title are selling for $2000+ now, that leaves little meat on the bone to make it worth all the work involved. its not ebays fault. but i still make decent money listing parts & other stuff like home audio there. i dont echo any of cliffs complaints, its very user friendly to list auctions, & also very easy to see the fees they charge. not that his complaints arent valid for him, but the numbers on fees are not right.

also, ebay is not charging their own tax on items nor do they "want more." the tax they charge is the same exact amount of tax any online business charges whether its summit, amazon, etc. its the state & federal governments that impose those sales taxes for all businesses to charge, started with the net neutrality crap so the government could get their share of sales tax income because all internet sales used to be tax free before they did that. its not just ebay charging those taxes & they dont get to keep any of it.

sorry for all the comments on this thread, just trying to provide accurate info to the comments that are misunderstood or not correct.
I'm not going to get into an argument with you about eBay's scruples which I feel are suspect. You're sugar-coating eBay's problems where Cliff is telling us like it is. Further, your years in eBay doesn't impress me and I've been doing it longer than you. Charging sales tax on used items, is not correct and all the government wants to do is dig deeper into our pockets. Now that maybe fine with you, but most don't like it. So how do you know what eBay gets and doesn't get?? Do you work for them or are you talking through your hat?? Cliff is telling the truth, sorry you can't deal with it man!!! Enough said!!!!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ram Air IV Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2022, 09:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

wow, calm down guy. wasnt trying to argue at all, just providing facts that ive provided proof of with links to their fees. & another member confirmed the tax comments you made are not true, beileve what you want.

also not trying to impress you nor compare to how long youve been using ebay, 20+ years basically covers 99% of the time ebay has been a popular thing, i started selling in the late 90's, when the internet became a big thing & ebay started... when were you selling there, 1980's before it even existed??

government charging taxes on online sales whether used or new is not "fine with me" ... its what they do & you or me cant stop it so not sure what your point on that is? you said ebay gets that tax, myself & carbking proved you wrong. "deal with it man". i know ebay doesnt "get" any of that tax because its not theirs, just like summit or amazon doesnt get any of the tax they charge on sales, if they did that the IRS would charge them with tax fraud. do i work for them? talking through my hat?? LOL! maybe you should ask yourself that since you claim to know what they are doing with taxes.

what cliff said is incorrect as far as fees, or hes doing something wrong listing in another category than is being discussed here, i understand he doesnt like ebay, im just trying to help provide correct info. cant deal with it? again, looks like you are the only one geting all bent outta shape & arguing here, or cant deal with facts.

not sure if youre having a bad day or this is how you talk to people in general when they correct you or state facts, but since you are the all knowing ebay guy, why dont you show some proof that anything i said about ebay, running a business or taxes in general is wrong? until then just quit while youre behind. heres a few explanation points for you too !!!!!

Last edited by 78w72; 08-20-2022 at 10:06 AM.
Old 08-20-2022, 10:00 AM

Ebay always seemed pricey to sell to me I think its the exposure that makes it worth it to some..

original ca car
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 65blackplate For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2022, 06:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Exposure is there, but the price should reflect
1. Value
2. Say 14% Ebay SELLER fees
3. Say 0% Buyer premium
4. Say Federal tax at 25% ( varies on your bracket)
On an item that has ALREADY been taxed
5. Packing/ shipping.
Count on prices being 40% more than they are actually
Worth.
IF you have a business already you can deduct expenses, if a hobbyist, you loose.
With the new doubled IRS I expect them trying to get rid of cash exchanges of goods.

Old 08-20-2022, 07:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

when you collect sales tax you only send the irs a part of it. example MI is 6% i as a business owner would only send about 4-5% to the irs. I get to keep the difference for doing the actual collecting of the money. doesn't sound like much but it adds up quick.my experience anyways in MI.

Old 08-21-2022, 10:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

"IF you have a business already you can deduct expenses, if a hobbyist, you loose."

you dont have to have an actual business to deduct expenses, im not a business nor do i have a tax id. "hobbyists" that do this are called sole proprietors & can still take deductions for every qualifying expense just like a business.

Old 08-21-2022, 11:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It's no secret that I do NOT like Ebay.

I dislike anyone or any organization that is corrupt. They literally stole over $30 from me last year and Pay Pal got me for another $30, both times it was 100 percent their fault, but be aware that they will NEVER admit guilt, or give you one penny of your money back for any reason. Judging by the way I was treated by Ebay and Pay Pal after they screwed up, they must be in bed together.

It is a very EXPENSIVE place to to business. The only good thing they offer is maximum exposure if you are selling a car part, rare item, etc.

If you are a "home based" business selling parts rest assured you will just about have to give them away unless it's an item that you are the only one in the World that has access to it. FORGET trying to incorporate your expenses and shipping cost into the price, there will be another seller of that item come along and beat your price by a nickel or two just to make sure they get the sale. I've done the math on a few things being sold on there by other vendors that I use here from the same supplier and they aren't making enough profit to cover the printer ink on the packing slip they put in with the part.....but I guess doing HIGH volume eventually adds up to a couple of dollars a month........FWIW......

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
The Following User Says Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2022, 02:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you have a business, or are able to as a hobbyist write off extra expenses, good for you.

I am incline to be more in Cliff's camp;
For somone considering selling off stuff on the side, you are better off selling locally through craiglist or kijiji - the fees I had, between listing, final sale, and paypal FAR exceeded this 15%(+/-) figure;
if they are high value items, I could see it being worth your time, but if you have money into said parts, odds are any profits you might think you have netted at time of sale, will be relegated to virtual pennies after the fact.

ebay made several changes that did nothing but penalize sellers - especially small timers like myself.
(i used to have sellers feedback, if it's more than 12 months old, I believe it's essentially deleted)

I still look for items there;
I have bough on average a half dozen items a year there for the last several years - but used to buy A LOT more.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	262
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	596911  

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)

Last edited by unruhjonny; 08-21-2022 at 02:39 PM.
Old 08-22-2022, 10:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

for the majority of items i sell like used auto parts or home audio/electronics, ebay sells them a lot faster than CL or other local selling sites ever could just because of the exposure.

as for fees, this screen shot of one of my recent sales, clearly shows the total ebay fee is 12.9%, they even do the math for you in case your calculator is broken... the fees have been the same for at least 10 years now, before ebay handled the payments the final value fee was 9.9% to ebay & paypal charged their 2.9 or 3% for a total of ~13%. now ebay does the payments so they get that ~3% payment processing fee, still the same ~13% for most categories. heres the payment details on a recent sale for an extra remote i had from some very expensive commercial HD projectors i sold, i would have taken $20-25 for it, it sold for $35, paid for all the fees & made more than i would have taken. sorry the screen shot is so small, but you can see the fee detials.

feedback- is not deleted after 12 months or ever, you can look at any members feedback & it goes back to the 1st one they got. i have 2000+ feedbacks that date back to the late 90s, none have been deleted. "unrujonny"- you have 254 total feedbacks, if you click on 254 it will show all your feedbacks with comments from the buyer/seller. the 1, 6, 12 month breakdown is just to show recent activity, your total is still there.

ebay is what it is, its costs something to sell there just like any other larger place you sell at from local auctions, to swap meets to amazon, they are providing a service to sell your stuff, 12.9% isnt that bad in 2022. its not pennies after the sale & youre not giving it away, if you price it right in the beginning you will make what you wanted or many time a lot more. if youre losing money that bad from 12.9% selling fee, then theres something else wrong.

not trying to argue with anyone or compare anything, just trying to help correct some of the inaccuracies in this thread, everything ive mentioned is factual regarding ebay fees, or deductions for a private seller.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ebayfees.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	596986  

Last edited by 78w72; 08-22-2022 at 11:11 AM.
Old 08-23-2022, 01:12 PM

I have been a small time seller since 2000(average about 150-200 sales a year) but this year has not been the greatest with less people having disposable income right now. Like some have said Ebay has it good points and bad. I like going to the junkyards as this is my Zen place. I also buy parts to resell like these seatbelts from a Firebird. I bought them for 20 and sold for 220. So yes you can make a profit and plenty of people do. I do not like that ebay takes their 13% from the sales tax added onto item sold i.e. 233.75. It is all clearly on Ebay's page under ALL TRANSACTIONS. Also PayPal has nothing to do with Ebay any longer when receiving payments. I will say putting insurance on items help in case of damage, USPS is the easiest way to get reimbursed but UPS on Ebay is terrible. I am still waiting to hear back from UPS on a claim I filed. As 78w72 has stated you can deduct mileage, inventory cost that sold, fees and expenses. I am using a spreadsheet to keep everything tidy. There are plenty of youtube videos that are helpful for dealing with the upcoming taxes for ebay sellers. Anyway straight from Ebays page on those seat belts
FIREBIRD TRANS AM FRONT REAR SEAT BELT BLACK SET
Item price: $220.00
Quantity 1
Fees based on
$233.75
Total fees for item
Final Value Fee
-$30.15
Variable percentage • eBay Motors category
Rate for $0.00 - $7,500.00
$233.75
12.9% =
-$30.15
Final Value Fee
-$0.30
Per order fixed amount
Total fees
-$30.45

Old 08-23-2022, 03:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta6point6 View Post
I have been a small time seller since 2000(average about 150-200 sales a year) but this year has not been the greatest with less people having disposable income right now. Like some have said Ebay has it good points and bad. I like going to the junkyards as this is my Zen place. I also buy parts to resell like these seatbelts from a Firebird. I bought them for 20 and sold for 220. So yes you can make a profit and plenty of people do. I do not like that ebay takes their 13% from the sales tax added onto item sold i.e. 233.75. It is all clearly on Ebay's page under ALL TRANSACTIONS. Also PayPal has nothing to do with Ebay any longer when receiving payments. I will say putting insurance on items help in case of damage, USPS is the easiest way to get reimbursed but UPS on Ebay is terrible. I am still waiting to hear back from UPS on a claim I filed. As 78w72 has stated you can deduct mileage, inventory cost that sold, fees and expenses. I am using a spreadsheet to keep everything tidy. There are plenty of youtube videos that are helpful for dealing with the upcoming taxes for ebay sellers. Anyway straight from Ebays page on those seat belts
FIREBIRD TRANS AM FRONT REAR SEAT BELT BLACK SET
Item price: $220.00
Quantity 1
Fees based on
$233.75
Total fees for item
Final Value Fee
-$30.15
Variable percentage • eBay Motors category
Rate for $0.00 - $7,500.00
$233.75
12.9% =
-$30.15
Final Value Fee
-$0.30
Per order fixed amount
Total fees
-$30.45
So, about that $20 "COST" to buy those seat belts. Got a itemized receipt for that as a expense? what if you buy them at a yard sale, going to ask for a receipt?

Old 08-23-2022, 06:15 PM

Yes I keep all my junkyard receipts in a monthly accordion file but the spreadsheet should be all I need to file to the IRS. I also use a separate credit card when I make junkyard purchases or any other thrifting purchases, it also earns me 2% cash back on all purchases. The garage sale and estate sale thrifting can be tricky but I usually write down on a piece of paper what the purchased item amount is and into accordion file. The receipts and pricing sheet is just an extra precaution as I understand it if I was to get audited. The spreadsheet should be more then sufficient to fill out a schedule C though. This is the first year I have used this spreadsheet and it is an eye opener on how quickly shipping costs and other fees cut into the profits.

Old 08-24-2022, 09:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta6point6 View Post
Yes I keep all my junkyard receipts in a monthly accordion file but the spreadsheet should be all I need to file to the IRS. I also use a separate credit card when I make junkyard purchases or any other thrifting purchases, it also earns me 2% cash back on all purchases. The garage sale and estate sale thrifting can be tricky but I usually write down on a piece of paper what the purchased item amount is and into accordion file. The receipts and pricing sheet is just an extra precaution as I understand it if I was to get audited. The spreadsheet should be more then sufficient to fill out a schedule C though. This is the first year I have used this spreadsheet and it is an eye opener on how quickly shipping costs and other fees cut into the profits.
pretty basic & simple ways to account for purchases...

for garage sales, estate sales, swap meets or really any private purchase its standard to get a bill of sale with the buyer & seller signatures if you want a record of the sale or for tax purposes.

Old 08-24-2022, 06:27 PM
Senior Chief

My first purchase from eBay was almost exactly 23 years ago in 1999.
From Amazon, possibly as early as 1995, but maybe as late as summer 1996.

They have both certainly changed a ton.

"Yes, it's a real GTO. I know the scoops, spoiler, exhaust tips, and rear wheels are wrong. Umm, sure it's the 'big block' 400, you are quite the expert. I am driving in the rain, at night, running errands, with the kids who are eating and having ice cream in the back, after going to the drag strip, burning rubber, and blowing donuts. Do you really think it's numbers matching all original?"