Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 11-18-2017, 01:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Career change ugh. not going well.

After working as a chef for 30 years specializing in pastry I want to call it quits. Ill be 50 next year and have a hard time with working the long days 12+ hours , weekends, holidays and not seeing my little daughter as much as I would like to. I have had maybe three Saturdays off in the last 15 years and maybe a few holidays where I could see my family. Thinking of the future.. I have no retirement funds, no insurance and really don't see the upside of working in the restaurant industry. I love what I do and am good at it. With a recent heart attack scare I decided to take a job and move to reading pa with my girlfriend where she lives. So now that im here, the job did not pan out and im stuck with no work.

With eating better and way less stress ive got my bp down from average of 190/130 to 130/80.
Healthwise I feel so much better, restaurants will chew you up and spit you out.

With all that said, I need a job, I love woodworking anything mechanical and would love to pursue something in that field but how would I go about it? Right now I would consider anything ,I have a great skillset in many other things, have great common sense and like to go to a job every day.

Anyone else gone down this road? I have enough money for a while but no luck finding any work here. I feel im too old for people to consider me or I don't have experience for even manufacturing jobs.

I figured I would post here for impartial advice as I don't have many people to talk to about this.
Thanks for any advice.

Here is a box I made, I don't have a proper shop, built it mostly on a sawhorse and with hand tools only.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	box.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	467990  

Old 11-18-2017, 01:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well..what i think, is you made the leap everyone is afraid to do..you leaped into the abyss...it isnt really that scarey....

now you just need to find a direction...

if you like wood, youre in for a lot of competition..sorry to say, so you need to do things others cant or wont..

there are people that like hand built original work, and are willing to pay for it..you need to find those people..and build the best product you can,,in my experience, it takes 10 years to make it...

but in my opinion, if you can pay the bills, enjoy your life, and stay healthy...isnt that just another form of "making it"?

the thing you have is the internet...get a site built, find a someone that can market it in ypu...and set up a real work schedule..and bust your balls ....usually the only limit to a persons ability is the person...you'll have hard times, youll have good..but you are doing what you want...so roll with it as hard as ya can..i wish you luck..

invest in some equipment as you progress, and find a studio..you need a creative place thats yours..keep the drama out..and be the master of your destiny....

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 11-18-2017, 03:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You could always learn a trade like plumbing or electrical work, then just work for yourself. That way - customers see that you’re older and feel that you’re more experienced. I’d stay away from starting in carpentry-type contracting when you’re older. Have you ever seen a 55 y/o contractor walk?

Old 11-18-2017, 10:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Looks like you are very talented with your wood working! Maybe consider working in a cabinet shop or furniture mfg. doing that for a while to see if you like it and to see if you can make a living at that. Best of luck to you.

Old 11-19-2017, 11:30 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Pastry chef, have you considered getting a storefront, and making cakes, cupcakes, wedding cakes, etc? It's something you know, and love to do, that's half the battle.

Old 11-20-2017, 05:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Think about civil service. The work for me has been steady 40hrs/w/24 yrs.I worked construction with my father and 7yrs as a tool and die designer. I enjoyed diggi g and bldg. However I see the struggles contractors are having,getting reliable talent that want to do a good job and getting paid. I have a few physical ailments from construction. Just look on line,civil service and whast you think you would qualify for,if they say you don't qualify say I do let me take the test. I didn't qualify as a wood shop-construction,painting instructor,huh after all the yrs,20+ doing the work. Don't take no.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:36 PM
Senior Chief

Very nice box you created. Have you heard of Etsy? You could put it on there and gauge interest... There is a lot of competition for that kind of work, a lot of which is overseas and willing to do it for much less than you can.

There's probably a large restaurant supply/food service company in the greater Philly area. You could possibly put your 30 years of experience & contacts to work on a more 9-5 M-F basis.

You like mechanical things so maybe a trade that deals with repairing restaurant equipment, ovens, etc.

I know you said career change but have you considered institutions that serve food? Local school district? Not very glamorous but if you want to spend more time with your family they don't serve school lunches on Saturday and Sunday. Hospitals? 55 & over community? University? Probably full benefits and retirement at these places.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is there's more to the food industry than cooking and serving food at 4 Star (high stress) restaurants.

Best of luck to you.

Last edited by will slow gto; 11-20-2017 at 09:52 PM. Reason: more info
Old 11-20-2017, 10:32 PM
Senior Chief

Custom country tables, bathroom vanities, coffee tables and kitchen islands. You can put on Facebook, Facebook market place, buy and sell groups,do local antique shows, Craigslist, my buddy had a gig were the guy advertised and if it was on the west coast he would pass the job to him for a small fee. Good luck!

Old 11-21-2017, 07:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Have you thought of teaching? Trade schools often have culinary arts & even pastry chef programs - would eliminate the 12 hour days and keep you in a field you are skilled at.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 11-21-2017, 08:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Teaching. The Boss beat me to it.
Someone out there is looking for you and it's just a matter of time & patience to find them. It might not be the next job, you may end up paying some more dues but there is a world of possibilities. Looking forward to your success story.

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
Old 11-22-2017, 04:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Speaking of teaching the Reading School District has signs all over Montgomery County about joining their team. Possibly hiring something in your interest? As far as your recent heart attack scare consider you now are aware of it (if you were not before) alot of people don't get that second chance.

TOM
Old 11-23-2017, 12:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey Pete, good to see you on here. Do as suggested... get in touch with the Reading School District. You've got the talent and love of being a chef, now pass on that knowledge to those that want to learn. If it works out maybe you'd end up with a pension to help when you do retire. SS won't completely pay the bills but a pension sure helps. That's why I stayed in the carhaul business to get a Union pension. Good luck mate.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 11-24-2017, 03:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Lightbulb

So,

Not yet 50 - you had 30 years invested as a pastry chef - that is not a job but a career.

You walked away from that & took another job that didn’t work out but you didn’t mention what that was.

I take it you don’t have the desire or the resources to start your own business in your area of expertise.

Look - I get it and I am not beating you up - but before you walk away from a 30 year career - unless you have a big stash of cash - you have to have a plan in place or take an early retirement.

Good Luck

Jim

Old 11-24-2017, 12:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

What happened to the OP?

Old 11-28-2017, 04:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

MarxJunk,

well I did leap into the abyss, financially im ok. It is a weird sense of freedom but it wont last long. Now I know what itslike to be retired lol.
Yes there is a lot of competition but its scary to see what people pay money for haha. Is set up a shop sort of more room and it does help.

chris65lemans
probably too late to apprentice but I wish I had been an architect or an electrician. Anyone ever done this so late?

dpoltzer, I do like it and my stuff gets great reviews.People do pay for handmade and there is a market for ecofriendly/salvage wood things done without power tools and natural finished.
Thanks for the kinds words.

Simpleman, I have thought about owning a place but the bakery business is tough with all the great frozen stuff out there and big supermarkets. A lot of work for a small return. I do make stuff for friends but the ingredients usually cost more than a good cake from the grocery store. Not many people can tell the difference.

sdbob civil service is a good idea thanks. !!

will slow gto, my girlfriend is great at helping me sell, I told her about etsy and she put some things on a local version of that.

ladytata, im finishing up a table Im going to try to sell on craigslist, Don't know a thing about shipping something large like a table tho, ill need help with that..

The boss.. Teaching is something I would love to do but nowadays you need a teaching degree first and foremost before they consider your experience. I do teach some volunteer classes in sugar art and ice carving.

694.1 I put the teaching on my lookout list thanks.

salem 1912 I saw some things on the reading school job site but no food related.

gt182 lone time no hear, hope you are well! Love the flames on your hood!! Ill plug away at reading.

truly vintage, yup 30 years. Yes a career. I just don't love it and feel like I am just going through the hoops. Im at the age where kids half my age can put out acceptable product forhalfthe pay.
It is not a carees with the same company for the 30, probably 6 jobs in that timeframe. Most restaurants don't offer anything in the way of pension or retirement. So it would be me picking up another one of those. Im trying to look at options . You speak the truth.

Yup im still here simple man, I don't get to the computer much.

Old 11-28-2017, 04:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
well I did leap into the abyss, financially im ok. It is a weird sense of freedom but it wont last long. Now I know what itslike to be retired lol.
Yes there is a lot of competition but its scary to see what people pay money for haha. Is set up a shop sort of more room and it does help.

chris65lemans
probably too late to apprentice but I wish I had been an architect or an electrician. Anyone ever done this so late?

dpoltzer, I do like it and my stuff gets great reviews.People do pay for handmade and there is a market for ecofriendly/salvage wood things done without power tools and natural finished.
Thanks for the kinds words.

Simpleman, I have thought about owning a place but the bakery business is tough with all the great frozen stuff out there and big supermarkets. A lot of work for a small return. I do make stuff for friends but the ingredients usually cost more than a good cake from the grocery store. Not many people can tell the difference.
It's fun!

Down here in Florida, there is usually always some kind of sale thingie (TM) going on.
You could set up a booth and sell just about anything.
Those snowbirds crave that kind of things.

Heck with a food related history, could do the food truck thing or set up in one of the sale markets.

Work 2 days a week and make a ton of money.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 11-29-2017, 01:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

X2 Food Truck Catering
Somewhat the rage now. Lots of the Beer Gardens will bring in a different truck each day. Sons office has a food truck come in twice a month for it's employees. I am sure there is a need for a Pastry/Dessert truck at parties/events etc.

TOM
Old 11-29-2017, 09:49 AM

Default big move.

Good for you.It takes all of ones inner strength to make this type of life change,I know its tough, but when you are committed to changing, then you are done with the once passionately loved career. Because of the treatment you and others in the field have put up with makes the job extremely difficult. My older Brother made the move when he was 52 years old. He was A very well known Executive Chef for many years in the Boston Area. He put up with the same issues lots of hard work long hours and missed out on the same weekends and Family times for his Career. Now He works for the T and gets great pay and Benefits and He LOVES THE JOB, THE HOURS, AND THE PEOPLE. That said. Just Another avenue to consider.I myself made the change when I was A young buck at 31 I never looked back.nice custom jewelry box by the way. Good times are coming hang tough Good luck.