Old 11-03-2014, 08:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

on your headliner question, my '72 with deluxe interior had the perforated headliner and sun visors, and I thought that was the case on all deluxe interior cars in '72? Maybe the one in your car was replaced at some point or was a factory error.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would deduce that the "WHITE STAYS" is an instruction for the headliner to be white. And not in the traditional interpretation i.e., "white remains in place" but instead an instruction to employ white stays. "Stays" being the technical term for the long metal support structure that is used on the 70-72 headliners.

Old 11-03-2014, 10:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It could also simply mean, anything already white remains and anything black is changed to blue.

Old 11-04-2014, 01:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 165th View Post
I know right! This document is like... could it be... Yes... the Holy Grail, Ha

Luckily no one touched these calls!

Greg.. your car just keeps getting sweeter.. Great docs.. that is going to truly be one of the nicest 2nd gens around. You know, I find myself sometimes wondering what all the fuss is over just another blue 70-72 TA, but I must confess, in these pictures ,especially with the stripe, the code 24 blue really has "got" me, what a great looking combo with the white interior.. Let me ask the unmentionable... what are you going to do when some "hot shot" at the unveiling offers you 6 figures for the car?? You know someone is going to try and buy that car at the show.. You my friend are going to be in one difficult position.. That car is every bit as nice and rare as the nicest 70 RAIV out there and we all know many have traded for big 6 figures.. Glad I don't have to make this decision.. good luck and thank you for saving such a cool car the way it should have been saved..

Old 11-04-2014, 07:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

On the headliner. I just thought it was strange it was crossed out, then written back in. Parts book only lists one headliner material for White. Still don't know what the 06 refers to (have not seen a Green, but other colors just list the color). Notations on the bottom reaffirmed changes on build. I don't know where carpet is called out other than the CUT and usually the D55 option. Also, didn't find a color sheet for the IP Pads, to see if 664 is Blue.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70RAlll View Post
Greg.. your car just keeps getting sweeter.. Great docs.. that is going to truly be one of the nicest 2nd gens around. You know, I find myself sometimes wondering what all the fuss is over just another blue 70-72 TA, but I must confess, in these pictures ,especially with the stripe, the code 24 blue really has "got" me, what a great looking combo with the white interior.. Let me ask the unmentionable... what are you going to do when some "hot shot" at the unveiling offers you 6 figures for the car?? You know someone is going to try and buy that car at the show.. You my friend are going to be in one difficult position.. That car is every bit as nice and rare as the nicest 70 RAIV out there and we all know many have traded for big 6 figures.. Glad I don't have to make this decision.. good luck and thank you for saving such a cool car the way it should have been saved..
Hi Bill, thanks for your kind words. Your contribution to the project will seen and admired as well as the contributions of many folks here on PY. Adrian would not be at the level she is without the input... and encouragement of these boards. Thank you ALL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Held for Ransom View Post
On the headliner. I just thought it was strange it was crossed out, then written back in. Parts book only lists one headliner material for White. Still don't know what the 06 refers to (have not seen a Green, but other colors just list the color). Notations on the bottom reaffirmed changes on build. I don't know where carpet is called out other than the CUT and usually the D55 option. Also, didn't find a color sheet for the IP Pads, to see if 664 is Blue.
On the headliner, I was thinking the same thing. Scratched out and then written back in the same. Could have been errant scratch through when making the tweaks to the build sheet. I would have liked to be a fly on the wall when this broadsheet was being marked up. Thinking about who was directing the changes and why.

I believe there are several build sheets made for each car so these notes would have been made on all of the printed documents... unless... of course, the car was pulled to the side and hand built using just this build sheet.....

Brewster... I know.... Dreamin!

Regarding the 664, I think it is blue. Here's a build sheet with this code noted:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	72 TA Build sheet s.jpg
Views:	563
Size:	177.3 KB
ID:	380908  

Old 11-05-2014, 08:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Topping off party. The only thing missing was the tree.

The 455HO is being covered up with Adriatic blue sheet metal and core support, core support and original 4 core CV FH radiator.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	01111s.jpg
Views:	527
Size:	236.8 KB
ID:	381015  

Old 11-05-2014, 09:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice shaker! Those rotors groovy yet? The final push is exciting enjoy!

Is that Tim's LB TA all ready? Is that going to Mcacn too?

Old 11-05-2014, 09:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It all down hill now.

Old 11-05-2014, 11:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You guys still have some work to do. Its does not need to run for the show. I've pushed many cars in and out of that place.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Burnout or I'm screaming RAT!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 11-05-2014, 11:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood View Post
It all down hill now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by weranc55 View Post
You guys still have some work to do. Its does not need to run for the show. I've pushed many cars in and out of that place.
Guys, Your starting to scare me. I've seen plenty of those 5 day build shows on Velocity. We're way ahead of when they start. Heck, we quick using a torch a few days ago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
Burnout or I'm screaming RAT!

Boss, It's a little hard to do a burnout when she's always pointed into a trailer... but we'll see

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TA HAULR with trailer at Buckees s.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	381126  

Old 11-05-2014, 11:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Greg,

Nice license plate!

[/QUOTE]

Old 11-07-2014, 12:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeap glad to see its all about GM and oh you have a light out.
Cheers
Send me your ship to address for that early b-day gift

Old 11-12-2014, 02:12 PM

Default The black primer 73 SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rotella View Post
sd455hota,

Do you still have the original wheel flairs and front plastic valance? We've been trying to find out if these special paint Trans Ams came with painted or molded plastic parts. We've established that Larry Leist's black '73 SD Trans Am was delivered in primer with red molded wheel flairs, but since your car was actually painted code 24 adriatic blue from the factory, might they have painted the flairs to match.

Jim
This car showed up at the Trans Am Nationals many years ago, perhaps around 1990. Like you stated, it had red wheel flairs. The other red parts were the engine heat vents in the front fenders. At that time, the judges for the Nats did not know how to class the car. They concluded that it belonged in a non-stock class. The owner was not happy and left the show, leaving behind a hugh smokey burn out that we all know the SD's are easily capable of.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Originally Posted by Jim Rotella View Post
sd455hota,

Do you still have the original wheel flairs and front plastic valance? We've been trying to find out if these special paint Trans Ams came with painted or molded plastic parts. We've established that Larry Leist's black '73 SD Trans Am was delivered in primer with red molded wheel flairs, but since your car was actually painted code 24 adriatic blue from the factory, might they have painted the flairs to match.

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank.g View Post
This car showed up at the Trans Am Nationals many years ago, perhaps around 1990. Like you stated, it had red wheel flairs. The other red parts were the engine heat vents in the front fenders. At that time, the judges for the Nats did not know how to class the car. They concluded that it belonged in a non-stock class. The owner was not happy and left the show, leaving behind a hugh smokey burn out that we all know the SD's are easily capable of.
I can provide some information on both of these questions/comments.

Jim Rotella, I don't think any of the plastic parts survived prior to the start of the restoration. The fender extractors and the drivers rear spoiler end survived in their original painted Adriatic Blue which helped in the color match.

frank.g that's an interesting story on the black Superduty. It's too bad the TA Nat's didn't allow the car in as stock. There is proof the Buccaneer Red parts were specifically ordered, probably to be red to match the Oxblood interior. The car was also specially ordered with the decals to be delivered loose, hence the ominous un-badged shaker.

I've seen a lot of 455's badged as SD-455 but I'd bet this is the only SD shaker out there that is un-badged!

This car lives in Texas these days

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1973 SD.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	381817   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan0005s.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	263.7 KB
ID:	381819  

Old 11-13-2014, 08:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool stuff Greg!

More on the 73 SD in primer:

http://www.hotrod.com/cars/featured/...#__federated=1

Mentions the TA Nats but not the outcome like franks says...

Old 11-13-2014, 08:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge273 View Post
Cool stuff Greg!

More on the 73 SD in primer:

http://www.hotrod.com/cars/featured/...#__federated=1

Mentions the TA Nats but not the outcome like franks says...
THAT'S a VERY cool story & car!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 11-19-2014, 09:45 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank.g View Post

He has never gone back to the TA Nats, and never will.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer81x View Post
He has never gone back to the TA Nats, and never will.
Good for him! That's how I would have done it.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National