Old 03-22-2015, 08:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971455HO View Post
You're braver than I am Mike. Pics show you lifting and supporting your engine by the carb flange on the intake (original factory aluminum intake no less).

I thought about using my carb plate when I was lifting my engine. As heavy as Pontiacs are, I was too afraid. You've proved you can. Even now looking at yours, I am a little squimish about it. Ponchos weigh a good bit more than those mouse motors. Wasn't afraid of the threads not holding, I was scared the intake might snap. Your engine looks great by the way.
Just used the hoist to install the flywheel and the last rear galley plug, then went right back on the engine stand. The intake plates work fine, looks like it wouldn't but it is fine.

And the oil fill dipstick was installed for test and I forgot to remove when I bagged the engine up.. The handle will be blasted.

Mike mentioned 400hp, with the goodies in this engine, I wouldn't be surprised to see more...much more, torque is going to be mid5's to 6oo.. Pure stock on the outside, but all the goodies on the inside.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70RAlll View Post
Just used the hoist to install the flywheel and the last rear galley plug, then went right back on the engine stand. The intake plates work fine, looks like it wouldn't but it is fine.

And the oil fill dipstick was installed for test and I forgot to remove when I bagged the engine up.. The handle will be blasted.

Mike mentioned 400hp, with the goodies in this engine, I wouldn't be surprised to see more...much more, torque is going to be mid5's to 6oo.. Pure stock on the outside, but all the goodies on the inside.
Would like to hear from you Bill...

Old 03-22-2015, 08:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971455HO View Post
You're braver than I am Mike. Pics show you lifting and supporting your engine by the carb flange on the intake (original factory aluminum intake no less).

I thought about using my carb plate when I was lifting my engine. As heavy as Pontiacs are, I was too afraid. You've proved you can. Even now looking at yours, I am a little squimish about it. Ponchos weigh a good bit more than those mouse motors. Wasn't afraid of the threads not holding, I was scared the intake might snap. Your engine looks great by the way.

Old 03-23-2015, 07:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Bill buttoned up the build nicely...

Finished with nice little details.

Last edited by Judge273; 03-23-2015 at 07:28 AM.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

How about the correct cadmium and copper plating? Those NL's are just gold. Still amazed the near NOS condition of these. I honestly don't think they had ever been wrenched on when I first took this engine apart.. Machining confirmed this engine had never been worked on, not many of these blocks left hat have never been messed with..

Any comments on the water pumps number?? 1971 only use if I recall.

And what about the paint color?? I have always argued that the OEM 71 color was about as good as you will get with the 71 shade- stupidly expensive, but sure matches well. Has the right amount of green in it.. And Mike, if you are not going to use the grey/green paint I gave you for the wheels, pls send it back. That color is about impossible to match good. We used an almost NOS spare to get that color matched.. It is dead on..

But yes, we proved all it takes is a long Saturday to reassemble one of these engines.If you have all the parts and tools to check everything, 2 guys can reassemble one of these in a long 8-10 hour day..can't wait to start this baby up..

Oh and Mike.. I may be taking it to a local shop to run on a dyno once we are ready.. Will love to see the dyno numbers on this engine..

Old 03-23-2015, 04:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70RAlll View Post
Any comments on the water pumps number?? 1971 only use if I recall.
Carryover from the '70 model year. Must be from an early build '71 engine.

Old 03-23-2015, 05:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

124 is correct waterpump for all 71. And I believe since the engines were painted after assembly, all the bolts should be painted too correct?

Old 03-23-2015, 06:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by notime View Post
124 is correct waterpump for all 71. And I believe since the engines were painted after assembly, all the bolts should be painted too correct?
That's what I thought. Very nice work on the motor.

Old 03-23-2015, 06:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by weranc55 View Post
That's what I thought. Very nice work on the motor.
I guess we are going to find out.....

Old 03-23-2015, 06:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Okay I give, whats the real reason Bill??

Old 03-23-2015, 06:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Man this is looking good!

Regarding painting of the engine, here's an assembly line pic to use as a go by!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CCF03162011_00000s.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	292.7 KB
ID:	393588   Click image for larger version

Name:	1973_SD455_assembly.jpg
Views:	562
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	393589  

Old 03-23-2015, 07:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Love that second shot with the build sheets nicely folded in the hanger. NOW we all know were those creases came from.
Cheers Greg, Brew

Old 03-23-2015, 07:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's interesting that they painted right over the exhaust manifold mounting surface, but masked off the fuel pump mounting surface. Also, I wonder what they put over the fan clutch mount on the water pump to keep paint off of that?

I've seen that first picture a bunch and always wonder what this engine has been through. Not only the valve cover grime, but also the hose mounting locations on the timing cover and waterneck. Is this just from the short run in on the assembly line?

Old 03-23-2015, 07:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Those exhaust manifolds almost look black. Looks like the stove part was painted also. Cool pics.

Old 03-23-2015, 07:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wink

I still don't know why NOrwood doesn't provide adequate instructions on what should and shouldn't be coated on his perfect repro passenger side exhaust stack assembly!

So confusing without instructions!

Old 03-23-2015, 07:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If he knew he would.

Old 03-23-2015, 07:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That second picture is actually the SD line not the HO production line. Still doesnt answer the questions above though.

Old 03-23-2015, 10:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster View Post
Okay I give, whats the real reason Bill??
Brew... tell you the truth, after this weekend I am starting to wonder.. I don't have the time nor energy to focus on these cars as I used to. Started a new company, it has exploded with a large contract we received and just don't have the time. Made an offer to a few people and Mike lifted my offer.. But after this weekend, man... the love of these cars and working on them all came back..but a deal is a deal.. maybe Mike will sell it back to me one day.

And those who commented on the engine.. Yes, we all did a good job.. Proves it takes 1 day and about 1/2 or 1/3rd the cost of what a builder would charge to complete an engine. As long as the right place does the machine work, in my opinion that's 90% of the engine build. As far as the timing cover studs and bolts that aren't painted, well just going to have to live with it.. They look too good to paint.. Guess the NL's should be painted as well, not gonna happen..

Old 03-24-2015, 01:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

To give everyone a peak at what is inside.. 4340 forged crank and forged eagle rods w/floating pin, forged 7.8cc dome pistons, CR will be 9.68 ish.One of the nicest set of connecting rods I have seen. This engine will be a different engine vs a stock HO.. Pretty close to an H cam but roller, this engine should easily beat 400hp, my guess is close to 425 hp..with the forged internals, can definitely handle more HP.. The torque will be a monster with the set up we built..

Old 03-24-2015, 07:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When the body gets painted the assembly will be fun too!

We are rebuilding it from a stash of Bill's NOS parts bin for this car. Seats will be recovered in NOS comfort weave....

What's not NOS is original to car restored from documented photos.

Most of which Bill has done.

I'm working on upper A Arms, KR wheels and the original shaker with Craig.

Will be a M-22 with AC deluxe interior for the fun to drive factor..