Old 02-04-2022, 09:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Original motor options

Well mission creep has done crept about as far as it can on my project. I've put down a deposit for a IA II block for the motor I'm building. 4 weeks is the estimate for delivery.

So, what to do with the original motor? I'm gonna bet almost everyone will say to save it, in case I ever sell the car, then I'll have a correct motor (although not #'s matching...). That's the most obvious choice and I certainly haven't ruled that out but I am considering other options too.

The question is, if I did sell it, what would be the best way? As a complete motor or part it out?

It is a '70 WS block with #12 heads. It's 60 over. Fresh off a rebuild with about 1200 miles on it.

I think it would probably be worth more all together. That would be a little more hassle to crate and ship it (unless it sells local), but it would be just one transaction. But, parting it out and selling it that way would not be hassle free either.

Just thinking out loud...

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share
Old 02-04-2022, 11:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

So...forgive my ignorance...why aren't you using it?

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
The Following User Says Thank You to vertigto For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2022, 11:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhein View Post
Well mission creep has done crept about as far as it can on my project. I've put down a deposit for a IA II block for the motor I'm building. 4 weeks is the estimate for delivery.

So, what to do with the original motor? I'm gonna bet almost everyone will say to save it, in case I ever sell the car, then I'll have a correct motor (although not #'s matching...). That's the most obvious choice and I certainly haven't ruled that out but I am considering other options too.

The question is, if I did sell it, what would be the best way? As a complete motor or part it out?

It is a '70 WS block with #12 heads. It's 60 over. Fresh off a rebuild with about 1200 miles on it.

I think it would probably be worth more all together. That would be a little more hassle to crate and ship it (unless it sells local), but it would be just one transaction. But, parting it out and selling it that way would not be hassle free either.

Just thinking out loud...
If it was me I'd save it. Maybe buy one of these engine cradles and stick it under your work bench in the corner of the garage.
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=853494

I like your choice to go with a IA2 for your build. It should be the last block you ever need.

What did the WS block come out of? Does it have a VIN?

Regarding crating and shipping, you can put it on an engine cradle and bolt it to a pallet. That is what I did to ship. Well that and building a enclosed crate on top of the pallet. If you sell the engine, I'd suggest selling it complete.

Spotts Built 484" IA2, Highports, EFI Northwind
Terminator X sequential EFI fabrication and suspension by
https://www.funkhouserracecars.com/
Old 02-05-2022, 01:22 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigto View Post
So...forgive my ignorance...why aren't you using it?
In a earlier thread about this someone asked if I was going to use the WS block. I said yes but then I've been thinking about that and just wondered if that's the right thing to do. Somebody else may be doing a car that could really use that..

Old 02-05-2022, 10:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

if its not #'s matching there really is no benefit to keeping it for the car... its just a random WS engine as far as originality goes aside from being the right code. there is value in selling it as a fresh rebuilt running engine vs parting it out. if you want/need the funds to put into the new engine or car i would sell it then let the new owner down the road worry about what engine to use if you dont sell the car with the IA2 engine.

if it was #'s matching then definitely save it but since its not then its up to you & your budget & garage space whether you keep & store it for 5, 10 or 20 years.

The Following User Says Thank You to 78w72 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2022, 11:17 AM

Thumbs up

I'd be interested in your WS motor if you do decide to sell - plus I'm your neighbor up here in Seattle, which eases pickup options.

Good luck on your build!

Hotchief@comcast.net

1966 GTO, SD Performance MR1 535, 784 hp.
1967 GTO Convertible, 77k Survivor, 18 Options.
1968 GTO, 1 Owner, Endura Delete, 1 of 1.
1970 GTO JUDGE, 57k Survivor, Ram Air III, M20.
1970 TRANS AM, Ram Air III, M20, Norwood, 10 / 201.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark D For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2022, 02:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Couldn't hurt to post the vin stamp...

There could be someone out there that needs it....

The Following User Says Thank You to Green Hornet For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2022, 03:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Hornet View Post
Couldn't hurt to post the vin stamp...

There could be someone out there that needs it....
That’s why I was asking

I’m missing my original motor in my TA

The Following User Says Thank You to R 70 Judge For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2022, 03:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for the feedback. For now I think I'm just gonna wait for the dust to settle after the new motor is done then decide what to do. I don't think I want to dangle a VIN out there just yet and get someone all excited about it since I haven't made up my mind yet.

Old 02-05-2022, 04:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. For now I think I'm just gonna wait for the dust to settle after the new motor is done then decide what to do. I don't think I want to dangle a VIN out there just yet and get someone all excited about it since I haven't made up my mind yet.
Too late.....It appears...that you have already..

The Following User Says Thank You to Green Hornet For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2022, 02:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I was gonna say we need more definition as to “original”. That being said the last 3 of the vin should be posted imho. If someone still has the car l, the chance to reunite em should ALWAYS be taken. The statistical odds of doing so are actually getting better and better. That being said I’d understand totally if you told everyone else to calm down you haven’t decided but at least give that poor bastard a chance. If your not doing a numbers car or an absolute “correct” restoration. Get rid of it and use the cash to build the better motor.

The Following User Says Thank You to FASTASSBIRD For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2022, 04:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

First of all, I used the term "original" incorrectly. It's no secret that this is not the "original" motor for my car. I was referring to the fact that it's a Pontiac WS block and #12 heads, not the aftermarket IA2 block I'm trying to get. So I apologize for saying "original".

I emphasize trying because I don't actually have that block and I'm not entirely sure I will anytime soon. Kind of like counting the chickens before they're hatched... I have given the billing (CC) info to them for my deposit about a week ago but they still haven't processed that payment. I've been told that it will be at least 4-6 weeks for the block to be available but I have no guarantees of anything.

The current block I have is the only Pontiac 400 block I have. As we know, they don't grow on trees. In other words, if I had another suitable block, it wouldn't matter to me at all, but I don't.

Now, if I could be a part of someone finding their original numbers matching motor and get it back in their car, I'd feel really great about that. That would be super cool and I'd love to make it happen. But, I still need a motor for my car...

I really hope nobody thinks I'm being unreasonable but I don't think it's fair at all to expect me to surrender my motor until I have another one.

Last edited by jhein; 02-07-2022 at 04:18 PM.
Old 02-07-2022, 05:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

PLENTY of 400 blocks out there. Probably 10 in my barn alone.

You’d be surprised what someone can find if it’s their original block. Post the last 3 of the vin and say if you think this is your original, pm me your vin or phs etc. then make part of the deal they have to find you a suitable block as replacement. As long as the asking price isn’t unfair I’d bet you’ll get a better block (standard bore etc) and cash, and someone will be exceptionally happy to have found a needle in a haystack.

Lastly. They won’t charge even your deposit until they know for a fact they will have a block for you. Gone through this a couple times. Don’t think they are gonna go out of business anytime soon (although who knows this day and age). Just waiting on materials like EVERY other company out there.

The Following User Says Thank You to FASTASSBIRD For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2022, 06:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

"PLENTY of 400 blocks out there. Probably 10 in my barn alone."

Whadda ya got?? I'm all ears. I posted a wanted ad for this and got crickets.

"Lastly. They won’t charge even your deposit until they know for a fact they will have a block for you."

That's my point exactly. They haven't charged it because it's not a done deal. I have nothing but a hope and a prayer of getting that block.

Old 02-07-2022, 06:55 PM

Hey Guys -

All good banter in my book and it's cool we all have the same point of view on helping each other out.

Mr. Hein, I'll go out on a limb here, the 1970 WS motor I'm looking for out there in Pontiac-land has the last 3 VIN of: 649.

Thanks!

1966 GTO, SD Performance MR1 535, 784 hp.
1967 GTO Convertible, 77k Survivor, 18 Options.
1968 GTO, 1 Owner, Endura Delete, 1 of 1.
1970 GTO JUDGE, 57k Survivor, Ram Air III, M20.
1970 TRANS AM, Ram Air III, M20, Norwood, 10 / 201.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark D For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2022, 08:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Folks, I promise that if I don't use the block, and somebody here has the car it came from, I'll make every reasonable effort to reunite them. That would make me happy, but let's not put the cart before the horse.

Honestly, I don't even know what the VIN of my block is, since I knew it wasn't matching I never even bothered to check. I've got a bit of a back strain right now so I'll get out there in a couple days and look at it.

If anyone happens to have a IA2 small bore standard block or an early 70s 400 block they want to part with, please let me know!

Old 02-07-2022, 08:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTASSBIRD View Post
Just waiting on materials like EVERY other company out there.
Actually when I spoke with Frank at All Pontiac he said they have all the materials and are just waiting to get the batch done. So I'm hopeful it's gonna work out but I'm not taking anything for granted.

Old 02-07-2022, 08:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Actually when I spoke with Frank at All Pontiac he said they have all the materials and are just waiting to get the batch done. So I'm hopeful it's gonna work out but I'm not taking anything for granted.
The IA2 is such a huge peace of mind to have. Frank won't let you down. Getting the newest block with all of the newest revisions is ideal. Board member Paul K may be able to lead you to a used IA2.

Try not to feel pressured about your block. The chances of it being from one of our TA's probably isn't the greatest. I mean it could happen but I doubt it. It would be great if it was actually your original engine and the person you bought your TA from incorrectly looked at the EUN instead of the VIN.

The Following User Says Thank You to R 70 Judge For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2022, 09:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by R 70 Judge View Post
The IA2 is such a huge peace of mind to have. Frank won't let you down. Getting the newest block with all of the newest revisions is ideal. Board member Paul K may be able to lead you to a used IA2.

Try not to feel pressured about your block. The chances of it being from one of our TA's probably isn't the greatest. I mean it could happen but I doubt it. It would be great if it was actually your original engine and the person you bought your TA from incorrectly looked at the EUN instead of the VIN.
Boy, wouldn't that be something!

As far as the peace of mind with that block, yeah, I'll feel pretty good about that. What started me on the IA2 block thing was that I was talking to my engine builder and it just so happened that he just got in a IA2 block the day before for another customer and he was telling me how much he liked them. He used words like bada$$, beautiful and awesome. It's also reassuring that he's done a few of them before so he knows what they need.

Old 02-07-2022, 09:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Motor

Quote:
First of all, I used the term "original" incorrectly. It's no secret that this is not the "original" motor for my car. I was referring to the fact that it's a Pontiac WS block and #12 heads, not the aftermarket IA2 block I'm trying to get. So I apologize for saying "original".

I emphasize trying because I don't actually have that block and I'm not entirely sure I will anytime soon. Kind of like counting the chickens before they're hatched... I have given the billing (CC) info to them for my deposit about a week ago but they still haven't processed that payment. I've been told that it will be at least 4-6 weeks for the block to be available but I have no guarantees of anything.

The current block I have is the only Pontiac 400 block I have. As we know, they don't grow on trees. In other words, if I had another suitable block, it wouldn't matter to me at all, but I don't.

Now, if I could be a part of someone finding their original numbers matching motor and get it back in their car, I'd feel really great about that. That would be super cool and I'd love to make it happen. But, I still need a motor for my car...

I really hope nobody thinks I'm being unreasonable but I don't think it's fair at all to expect me to surrender my motor until I have another one.
Man keep it for a while at least if you just got it done just run that.