THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 06-27-2022, 06:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default PIT maneuver at 114 mph

Pretty good chase. The Trooper was tenacious. Decent driving. I can't believe he went back for his hat, I would have left it. The public never ceases to amaze me. Nobody was getting out of his way. Maybe he was coming up on them too fast with speeds up to 140 mph in the chase. Anyway, not bad.

The PIT happens at 10:39 but the whole chase is fairly exciting.

https://youtu.be/4V5PocsYWwY

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share
Old 06-27-2022, 10:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice move, wonder if he ever got out of the car?

TOM
Old 06-28-2022, 01:03 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Really, it's the chase that's good about this, not the PIT because you don't really see what happens to the car being pitted.

The chase starts at about 2:00

https://youtu.be/4V5PocsYWwY?t=120

Old 06-29-2022, 09:59 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Impressed that he kept a visual on the car...I couldn't.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 06-29-2022, 11:57 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigto View Post
Impressed that he kept a visual on the car...I couldn't.
Yeah, that was surprising based on the video. Probably was a bit easier for him live. I still can't believe he went back for the hat.

Old 06-29-2022, 12:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The hat is part of a cops uniform, not having the hat with him does make a difference. Good friend of mines brother was a state cop in PA, I learned that without the hat, they're out of uniform. In court it can make a difference if he didn't have it in his possession, it's a technicality that can be used by an attorney. Notice if you're pulled over in most states as soon as they exit the vehicle, the hat goes on.

On the chase, it should have been called off, the juice wasn't worth the squeeze. At 140 MPH if one of those cars moved into his path it would have been all over for the innocent driver. Yeah it makes for good video, but 100s of lives were put at risk during that time. It wasn't like it was 3 AM with light traffic, it was moderately heavy traffic. They had the license number of the car, they could have done it differently than they did.

I know it's at the discretion of the cop to break off a chase, but in light of all the cars on the road, he could have picked him up later on. With the courts lately, he could be out of jail in a few hours anyway.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2022, 01:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm not really a fan of police chases ... nationwide more innocents and officers get killed in chases than do the bad guys. Often the initial instigation is a traffic violation. Kind of like shooting down a crowded street at someone running.

We have the technology now to track down just about any car ... specially one you just pulled over and have all the details on camera.

Of course the situation is different if it's known a major crime is involved and lives are at stake. But far too often the deadly outcome of a chase was not warranted by the minor crime involved ... meet them at their house later.

Old 06-29-2022, 02:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
The hat is part of a cops uniform, not having the hat with him does make a difference. Good friend of mines brother was a state cop in PA, I learned that without the hat, they're out of uniform. In court it can make a difference if he didn't have it in his possession, it's a technicality that can be used by an attorney. Notice if you're pulled over in most states as soon as they exit the vehicle, the hat goes on.

On the chase, it should have been called off, the juice wasn't worth the squeeze. At 140 MPH if one of those cars moved into his path it would have been all over for the innocent driver. Yeah it makes for good video, but 100s of lives were put at risk during that time. It wasn't like it was 3 AM with light traffic, it was moderately heavy traffic. They had the license number of the car, they could have done it differently than they did.

I know it's at the discretion of the cop to break off a chase, but in light of all the cars on the road, he could have picked him up later on. With the courts lately, he could be out of jail in a few hours anyway.
I agree that it wasn't worth the risk to the public or the trooper himself. 140 or even 114 is just ridiculously too fast for a public road, especially with that kind of traffic. I was just entertained by the intensity of it. And I get that the hat is part of the uniform, and that means something to them, but when you're in a fight, you're in a fight...

The Following User Says Thank You to jhein For This Useful Post: