Old 09-16-2022, 08:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Race Section

Being as naive as I can be sometimes, where have all the big boy racers gone? I figured when I built my first IA2 that I had made it to the top so to speak or at least, I was now in the big boy club. lol
Just seems like over the years everyone has left. I find the race section has gone away!

68 Firebird. IA2 block, 505 cu in, E-head, Solid roller 3650 weight. Reid TH400 4:11 gear. 29" slick.
Best so far 10.12@133 mph. 1.43 60 ft.
76 Trans am, TKX .81 o/d, 3.73 Moser rearend,
468 with KRE D-ports, Doug headers, 3" Exh.
Old 09-16-2022, 08:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Good question! Maybe got tired of some guy wanting to bicker about being "in the know" and then starts a thread on performing the most simplest of tasks.... Or maybe the other fellow that identifies as "JJ the boss" calling them out to be "real".... Just a guess on my part.

You still see a lot of them on FB Pontiac pages.

Or maybe the Race section has already covered all there is to know about the Pontiac race car.... There is tons of good information in these pages.

Old 09-16-2022, 08:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Paul, Ya I don't do FB. I have no use for most social media platforms. A co-worker of mine spent 3 hours every morning on social media platforms, till I had enough and called him out on it and that's where we both went each others way. I had had enough of that. My wife calls P/Y my FB. lol It just seems like the place has been deserted and yes there is alot of valuable information in the past post. Anyway, gotta get rocking, 6 day left to retirement day. Wahoo Thanks again.

68 Firebird. IA2 block, 505 cu in, E-head, Solid roller 3650 weight. Reid TH400 4:11 gear. 29" slick.

Last edited by chuckies76ta; 09-16-2022 at 08:45 AM.
Old 09-16-2022, 08:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckies76ta View Post
Thanks Paul, Ya I don't do FB. I have no use for most social media platforms. A co-worker of mine spent 3 hours every morning on social media platforms, till I had enough and called him out on it and that's where we both went each others way. I had had enough of that. My wife calls P/Y my FB. lol It just seems like the place has been deserted and yes there is alot of valuable information in the past post. Anyway, gotta get rocking, 6 day left to retirement day. Wahoo Thanks again.
Wow! That is great, congratulations!!!

I agree about FB. My wife made our business a FB page at it is cool to share some of our projects. But as far as having a technical discussion it's not going to happen.

Another reason may be due to the way things are as we recover from lock downs, it leaves little time to spend on the Internet. It's never been so diffucult to accomplish a task. The work force is set up for folks that are satisfied with accomplishing little or nothing and calling it a day. I am spending three to four hours a day just to keep things moving along. It is now a requirement to follow up, on follow ups... You are leaving the work force at a great time!

Old 09-16-2022, 09:56 AM
Boost Engineer

The first race on Sunday (of all of the Norwalk days) was always the NSS Guys cars racing.
Dave Johnson, Rick Johnson, Joe Zajac, Nunzi (a few times), Randy Williams Wagon, etc.

A lot of these guys have retired and sold their cars or passed on.

Another group who built engines and sold parts stopped posting completely.

A third group (mostly East Coast Guys) said "we will stay at our tracks and skip the politics" or they sold their cars.

The last group were the West Coast Guys. Jim W. and his pals would drive several days to race at Norwalk.

So what do you have left??????????????

A lot of younger guys and a very few of the "historical guys" who built the "Pontiac Reputation". JMO

So if you are not interested in racing a car at Norwalk you are probably not interested in
providing info on the PY Board.

Tom V.

So that is my opinion........................................... ....

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2022, 10:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Not trying to sound negative, but I think between bad posters and restrictions, closed threads etc... have ran people away . Thats just my take on it...

6.27@107
9.97@131
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bill Eveland For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2022, 12:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Eveland View Post
Not trying to sound negative, but I think between bad posters and restrictions, closed threads etc... have ran people away . Thats just my take on it...
X 2.

Old 09-16-2022, 02:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

X3 here also. But being caution not to start anything. Having said that I’m a true believer in free speech. But obviously when things go south so to speak, someone has to step up. Too bad that s*it happens. We all loose.

Old 09-16-2022, 02:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I will say that when we finally made a 5 second pass and ran 250 MPH in 2019, I was expecting half a dozen Pontiac builds to quickly put us in their rear view mirror. So many posts on here saying various cars would "easily be running in the mid 5's with a couple shake down runs. Mostly turbo cars, some supercharged. But 3 years later, it hasn't happened to my knowledge. Why? An endless combination of factors I am sure. COVID gets universal blame for everything, so you might as well throw it out there. Next seems to always be "supply chain issues". Probably something to that as well. Some heavy hitters like Butler and Kauffman have suspended running their "company cars" to concentrate on their businesses and their customer's needs. Some have quit or retired. When we spent 1 1/2 years trying to unsuccessfully sell our operation for 10 cents on the dollar, eventually selling it to a museum, that pretty well sums up where the high end of the hobby is right now. We offered a legitimate 5 second Pontiac powered race car with history, turn key for NHRA stocker money and no takers. Not denying it would take great effort and some expertise to keep racing, but all the heavy lifting was done 15 years ago. JMO.

Last edited by mgarblik; 09-16-2022 at 02:59 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2022, 03:54 PM
Boost Engineer

Thanks Mike.
Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 09-16-2022, 05:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think a fair amount of the higher up people check in here but don't post anything. I.dont do social media so I guess I miss out on that side of things but the time I save pays much better.

Old 09-16-2022, 07:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Eveland View Post
Too many with thin skin ran off most of the racers that here. Sadly the race section has no racers left now.
If you don't like what someone does or says instead of ignoring it (like adults use to do) now you just complain and whine until that person is kicked off or canceled or fired.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to slowbird For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2022, 07:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbird View Post
Too many with thin skin ran off most of the racers that here. Sadly the race section has no racers left now.
If you don't like what someone does or says instead of ignoring it (like adults use to do) now you just complain and whine until that person is kicked off or canceled or fired.

Yes I agree. It seems to be a fine line. As soon as you put forth your opinion or views your shut down. Anyhow, I know how it works. I'm coming up on 65 years old and I can't believe over the last few years how things have changed everywhere. Not sure where all this is heading. I'll leave it at that. I miss all the big fast racers that use to post on the race section. I valued everyone's opinion, no matter if I agreed or not.

Old 09-16-2022, 08:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I wonder if it is a sign of the times a little bit.

I am just a hobbyist - raced my 69gto grudge match's w/ a 474 and then a 535 (that I later sold 6-7 years ago). Raced from maybe 2003-2013. I went back to watch my local track and had a blast - did notice that the fans had switched from coolers/beers to weed. Was everywhere.

I've got a son in early 20's - he loves cars, but no interest in drag racing.

Idk you guys - maybe the hobby is slacking off a bit. I'd love to hear what other folks are seeing at their respective track.

The Following User Says Thank You to GTOLou For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2022, 11:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOLou View Post

I am just a hobbyist - raced my 69gto grudge match's w/ a 474 and then a 535 (that I later sold 6-7 years ago). Raced from maybe 2003-2013. I went back to watch my local track and had a blast - did notice that the fans had switched from coolers/beers to weed. Was everywhere.

Idk you guys - maybe the hobby is slacking off a bit. I'd love to hear what other folks are seeing at their respective track.
Speaking of local tracks I've been at mine since the mid 80's. Raced every week from mid 80's to 2011. Sold the race car and just kept the gto street car but still love drag racing. I've seen my track go from great times to thin times and the last couple of years back to having good turnout s I'm happy to say. Been through going to be Sold for multiple reasons to just closing down but because of some dedicated locals that won't let go they manage to keep things going and do the best they can,,,at least for now. It first opened in the 60's I believe. And I see all ages,,,watched a woman in her late 70's bracket racing her black late model challenger...I thought it was great. There definitely was alot of drama here with some of the old racers,made for some good reading, like Lil jack defending his visner heads and even big chief would pop in some times but I always enjoyed reading the progress each one of them was making on their particular race car.

Last edited by scott70; 09-16-2022 at 11:29 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to scott70 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2022, 02:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
Good question! Maybe got tired of some guy wanting to bicker about being "in the know" and then starts a thread on performing the most simplest of tasks.... Or maybe the other fellow that identifies as "JJ the boss" calling them out to be "real".... Just a guess on my part.

You still see a lot of them on FB Pontiac pages.

Or maybe the Race section has already covered all there is to know about the Pontiac race car.... There is tons of good information in these pages.
Pointing fingers ? Glass house.
All of us who argue here for whatever reason have to own it and move on.
I am kinda with slowbird on the "thin skin" stuff. Free speech is a big deal to me.
People should be able to disagree and not get bent out of shape about it and still be friends or at least friendly.
Big dogs not posting ? Heard some stuff about posts having to get approved so that might have something to do with it.
But I do not know it to be true for sure, could be a rumor/false info.
I think age has a lot to do with it. Not a lot of young real Pontiac racers, its EXPENSIVE !
Its one of the reasons Leech passing hurt the hobby IMO. He was kinda young, Pontiac die hard. And liked to talk smack, it was great.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dragncar For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2022, 07:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOLou View Post

Ya, I believe there is some truth to the sign of the times. Our track here has also really dropped off from when we started 1/4 mile racing 10 years ago. There were so many cars you could only get a couple runs in all night at the street legals. Now days the lines are alot smaller. Alot of people are selling there stuff and concentrating on just living and surviving to be able to feed themself. Also, age plays a big roll I would imagine. Things have gotten so expensive, supply for parts. Everything is changing so fast. Thanks for the post.

Old 09-17-2022, 02:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Been going to Gainesville Raceway as a spectator since 1969 when it first opened as a privately owned track. Over the years there have been a lot of ups and downs but I am pretty sure that it would have closed down if the Gatornationals were not here, and NHRA had not bought the facility back in the 1990s. My son and I didn't start racing until 2000 and things have been stable since then. I joined the PY site shortly after and I am greatful for all the stuff we learned from many of you knowledgeable racers who have been willing to share.

69 Bird w/1970 400 block(409 cubes), #64 heads, hyd. roller, Q-jet by Jeff E., original interior, ps, pdb, th350, and 3.73 gears. Pump gas, street driven muscle. 3800 lbs. race weight. Best, 11.39 @118, my son's car.

79 T/A w/463, Scat crank, Eagle rods, Icon pistons, Lunati solid roller, 262/270, KRE 325 heads,Northwind intake, QF950 carb, full interior, ps, pdb, th350, and 3.73 gears. Pump gas, 3650 lbs. race weight. 10.72 @ 126 so far... no tuning yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to prostreet64 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2022, 02:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here’s a question for the mods.

Why is it when a thread in the lobby gets “off track” it ends up in the Clubhouse but when a thread in the race section gets too heated, it gets closed? Why not send it to the Clubhouse and let people continue to say what they will?

Of course I believe the constant bickering has pushed a lot of people out of the race section too. Especially newer members who can’t understand the way things get out of hand so easily.

Old 09-17-2022, 03:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
Pointing fingers ? Glass house.
All of us who argue here for whatever reason have to own it and move on.
I am kinda with slowbird on the "thin skin" stuff. Free speech is a big deal to me.

If the shoe fits! There is a difference between arguing and debating. Free speech is great if it's truth. Individuals come on here mucking up threads with fairy tales boasting about how much they know and then start threads for advice on the simplest of tasks. Nothing wrong with not knowing, but I can't understand how a self proclaimed expert can't accomplish the most basic of tasks.

How is the new pump gas build progressing?