THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:06 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Droid or Iphone

Work is getting us new phones and we have a choice. It will be used for all of the usual stuff...email, text, web, calendar etc.

What do you like / dislike and why?

Old 12-09-2011, 10:21 AM
Suspended

Thumbs up Best Buy and CNET.com

IMO: Check out your local Best Buy to compare the hardware and the provider plan that you will be required to use for either format.
• Here at our local Best Buy(s), they can update your current plan and provide instant rebates for phones, etc. instead of the old snail mail "rebate" for ALL.
• Ask for input from the sales techs who use a device the same way you intend to.
• Ask what device they use...and if one is "sold" only on IPhone or Droid seek another salesperson who uses the other to get well rounded options and opinions.

Then again, for another source, there is always http://cnet.com for updated offers and reviews

Old 12-09-2011, 10:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I wouldn't buy a phone today that wasn't 4G. That eliminates the iPhone.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

iPhone without a doubt. Especially if you're not paying. It's all about the software....

Old 12-09-2011, 10:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I just came from a 4-5 year old flip phone into an iPhone 4s.
I like it.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Researching this stuff myself lately. Do you mean specifically a Motorola 'Droid' or do you mean an 'Android' phone?

This is over a year old but here is a head to head. http://www.pcworld.com/article/19984...omparison.html

One thing I recently picked up on is that not all Android phones have visual voice mail which is something I really got used to with the iphone. There is no way I want to go back to listening to prompts and time stamps. The Samsung Vivid is the only android phone I have found that is capable of visual voice mail but I'm still looking.

Then there is the 4G technology vs the 4G marketing and the different carriers and it gets more complicated. Saving the tech jargon, I think the "LTE" is the newest tech. Not all 4G phones are "LTE".

68 Firebird, trying a q-jet now. 434/10.5:1/997's/240-242 HFT/4L80E/2800 Yank/3.42's/ Vintage Air/ 13.0 @105 mph
70 Lemans, 350/350, A/C, mostly stock
14 Ram CC, 5.7 Hemi, 8-speed, 3.92 lsd
97 Trans Am, HPP Aug 2012 http://www.highperformancepontiac.co...tiac_trans_am/ ***Sold***
Old 12-09-2011, 12:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I did demos of the iPhone a few times and found that my fingers are too big for the keypad, I couldn't type accurately at all on this device!

I went with the original motorola droid with the slide out keyboard and I love it--I have had it for two years now and it's a great smartphone.

So, I suggest trying 'em out before you make a decision

501 HP, 554 ft lbs TQ
12.14 ET @ 114 MPH , Supercase Muncie M22, 3:55
Suspension: HO Racing, BMR< Sykorat, and Bilsteins
Narrowed 12 bolt , 16x8 VintageWheel Works,
Comp T/As on street, MT Drag Radials @ Strip

http://www.sdperformance.com/custome...1.php?carID=42
Old 12-09-2011, 01:26 PM

Honestly? They're both great and they both suck, just in different ways.

The truth is that even if you try to do your homework and go try them both out, you're not really going to find out what you like and don't like until you spend time using one of them day in and day out. I'm more familiar with Android because that's what I have. I like the "open-ness" of the apps and the relative freedom from Apple's "we're going to tell you what you like and don't like" approach to things. For example, if you don't like the email client that comes with the phone, there are tens if not hundreds of others out there in 'the market' for you to choose from and try, some free, some trial, some pay.
However, there are some functions that are just better on the iPhone.

It mostly depends on what features are important to you.

Bear

Old 12-09-2011, 01:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I like my droid 2 It has voice activated gps i just say the address and it automatically sets my route. I have not had any problems with it. It has the keypad to text which the iphone dont have. I had a hard time making a phone call wih the iphone cause it didnt have the keypad

1968 lemans :In progress!
1970 Bonneville 455 HO convertible (survivor)sold
1969 firebird
Old 12-09-2011, 02:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to 1966goat Send a message via Skype™ to 1966goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver97ta View Post

One thing I recently picked up on is that not all Android phones have visual voice mail which is something I really got used to with the iphone. There is no way I want to go back to listening to prompts and time stamps. The Samsung Vivid is the only android phone I have found that is capable of visual voice mail but I'm still looking.
Every droid has visual voice mail capability - Download the app "Google Voice". Rather than voicemail going to your phone, it goes to Google's voicemail box. You get vis. voice on your phone + it can send you an email + you can check your messages on voice.google.com .

461ci, Edelbrock 72cc heads, KB 15cc dished pistons, comp xe274, PRW 1.5 roller rockers, Performer RPM intake, Holley 80508 750cfm, RARE oversized manifolds, Pypes X-pipe Exhaust
Old 12-09-2011, 03:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966goat View Post
Every droid has visual voice mail capability - Download the app "Google Voice". Rather than voicemail going to your phone, it goes to Google's voicemail box. You get vis. voice on your phone + it can send you an email + you can check your messages on voice.google.com .
Thanks. I did some searching after reading your post and now I see... 'there's an app for that' LOL. The reviews are not so hot though. Do you use it?

I wonder why the person at the ATT store said only the Galaxy S2 has VV and, they said there is NO charge. Somehow it is integrated but it needs to be set up in the ATT account. I'll have to ask more about it.

68 Firebird, trying a q-jet now. 434/10.5:1/997's/240-242 HFT/4L80E/2800 Yank/3.42's/ Vintage Air/ 13.0 @105 mph
97 Trans Am, HPP Aug 2012 http://www.highperformancepontiac.co...tiac_trans_am/ ***Sold***
Old 12-09-2011, 03:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My Droid Charge goes thru the battery quickly and drops calls intermittantly. Not sure if that the phone itself or Verizon. Otherwise it is great.
My wife has an iphone4 and loves it. Tough for a big fingered guy to use with the smaller screen. Both have good points. The droid is pretty large in size compared to the iphone if that is an issue.

Email jbr69gto@gmail.com

My Website www.minnesota-muscle.com

Old 12-09-2011, 04:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to 1966goat Send a message via Skype™ to 1966goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver97ta View Post
The reviews are not so hot though. Do you use it?
I've used Google Voice for a long time. Google voice is great, not only can you make it your default voice mailbox, they also give you a real phone number that you can give to people to call instead of your cell number. You set it up to fwd to your cell. It's great for buying/selling on craigs where you might get some crazy people you need to block.

I've never had a problem with Google Voice, though the speech to text part is usually way off (but I'd rather use the "click play" feature and listen to the message, rewind whenever)

It's actually rated pretty high.... https://market.android.com/details?i...glevoice&hl=en

461ci, Edelbrock 72cc heads, KB 15cc dished pistons, comp xe274, PRW 1.5 roller rockers, Performer RPM intake, Holley 80508 750cfm, RARE oversized manifolds, Pypes X-pipe Exhaust
Old 12-09-2011, 04:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, thats where I read the reviews. What about the complaints that it basically hijacks your phone and you cant choose between your number and the GV number? Soemthing about a recent update. Oh, and it uses minutes for all your calls even if you have unlimited mobile to mobile. These are just complaints I've read, I really dont know how it works.

Old 12-09-2011, 04:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

iphone is my preference. As mentioned, the droid does have excellent speech recognition, which is pretty cool. I'm not sure how useful it is as I can type no problem.. I work in technology and see NO need for 4G. The only reason for this is if you are watching lots of videos/movies. My iphone 4 (3G) on verizon is plenty fast enough and I"m a power user...

1968 Lemans. 37,000 original miles. GTO clone. 462ci/KRE 290 heads. UltraDyne 280/288 Solid/850 Qjet by Cliff/Performer RPM/TSP 9.5" in TH400/8.5" 3.42 gears/3950# Race weight/12.58@106 at Bandimere speedway high altitude
Old 12-09-2011, 06:35 PM

android based phones have a greater selection of devices to choose from from many different manufacturers, are a bit more customizable, generally have bigger and better screens, most often shorter battery life between charges, and no proprietary connections (chargers for car or home, or TV connections). You also don't need something like iTunes for apps, music, or movies, you can get them from many sources. If you like to tinker, you can load custom roms, root the device to remove unwanted bloatware, or add features. Many also have expandable memory.

Iphones come in different memory sizes, but otherwise,all look the same and work the same. Having one place like iTunes to get music, movies, and apps is nice, as well as better battery life. They do work very well at everything they do. You can jailbreak the iPhone to do what a stock android phone can do. If you have other apple devices, they all work perfect together.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

BOTH Droid based and I based require an email set up, somewhere, somehow, with droid its google, who wants your HOME phone number and of course your home email to link it to the phone ( they say in case you loose the phone LMAO)
SO both invite a huge loss of privacy. HTC 4G is big and nice, use a Stylus with it, and BEAT it when it tries to send words in text that IT wants instead of what YOU type

Old 12-09-2011, 08:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via AIM to andyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
I wouldn't buy a phone today that wasn't 4G. That eliminates the iPhone.
This is exactly my thoughts. iPhone is outdated technology in terms of mobile internet, which is typically the reason for getting a smart phone.

Though what android device are they planning on getting you? All iphones are the same so you know what you're getting, but not all android phones are good. You need to pick one with solid hardware. My HTC Thunderbolt has been great since April and kicks the iphone's butt in pretty much everything a smart phone is supposed to do. The 4g is fantastic.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:48 PM

My preference is the iPhone. If you want to get creative with it you could jailbreak it, but you will likely not need to consider it. Solid hardware, fantastic speed/performance, great apps.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:09 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm using the Droid X2. Great phone. You can't pay me to use an Apple product.
I'm an IT guy and, we use the iphones at work also. A few of the dept heads that are currently using the iphones are thinking about switching to the droid.

FWIW - joe