Old 03-29-2024, 03:33 PM
Senior Chief

Cars look great and that shop is amazing!

Old 03-29-2024, 03:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
Always amazing and inspirational to see your posts!
Glad your move is going well. That's definitely stressful, but can also feel like an adventure when you are motivated!
I alluded to our similar situation a few months back. We finally settled on a house in Windsor and will be moving from our temporary rental house this summer.
I suspect that shop building will generate admiration beyond my own. How fun for you! I'm excited to gain a more modest 3-car garage once again for the first time in over 15 years.
How did that U-Haul trailer work? Do you think it, along with my LeMans, would be too heavy to haul behind a 1/2-ton pickup with ~7000 lb tow rating? It handles our 4000 lb camper OK, but the camper has electric brakes and those trailers look heavy.
Mike
Thanks Mike and congratulations on your decision!
We looked at Windsor. I think it is a up and coming area with that RainDance resort having gone in. Great location for shopping too. Maybe we can meet up at a car show this summer or maybe in the fall after you have a chance to get settled.
The Uhaul trailers are heavy (2,200 lbs) but are really nice and have surge brakes on them. No, I don't think you would have a problem hauling your LeMans on one with a 1/2 ton pickup. The total weight with your car on it should be about 5,700 lbs. Go to the Uhaul website and put in your pickup model and that you will put a Lemans on the trailer and it will tell you if they allow it or not. Shouldn't be a problem. It will give you a cost estimate too.

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO
The Following User Says Thank You to roger1 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2024, 08:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwfisher View Post
Cars look great and that shop is amazing!
Thanks! The shop is amazing. We feel very lucky finding the house that we did at the time we did. My wife (as well as me) love the house and of course I love the workshop. It far exceeds the criteria I had when starting to look at properties. l did want a house with nice sized workshop or a property that would have had space in order for me to have one built. But less half the size of what I got would have sufficed!

Btw, are new post email notifications not working? I don't seem to be receiving any today.

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO
Old 03-29-2024, 09:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1 View Post
...l did want a house with nice sized workshop or a property that would have had space in order for me to have one built...
This order created a lot of funny looks and comments when looking for the same in Lisbon.

Damn few people there seem to be able to do anything with there hands let alone tools and the houses reflect this.

Old 03-30-2024, 01:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Outstanding, so glad the move went well. Looks like a fantastic shop. Gives me hope for our move to go smooth.
How big is that shop again?

About five weeks from now we'll be loading up the GTO for the trip south. All of our tractors and equipment heading down the last week in April.

Was just shopping for a 40 x 60 shop today, hope to have one done before winter.

Old 03-30-2024, 04:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebird View Post
This order created a lot of funny looks and comments when looking for the same in Lisbon.
Damn few people there seem to be able to do anything with there hands let alone tools and the houses reflect this.
Comments from realtors I presume. Yeah, it didn't look to me that large properties there were available there. Cars to them are just to get from A to B and nothing more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Outstanding, so glad the move went well. Looks like a fantastic shop. Gives me hope for our move to go smooth.
How big is that shop again?
About five weeks from now we'll be loading up the GTO for the trip south. All of our tractors and equipment heading down the last week in April.
Was just shopping for a 40 x 60 shop today, hope to have one done before winter.
Hi Johnny. I sent you an email the middle of last month but it sounds like you didn't get it. I sent you the plans to my shop a while back too. Did you receive those? I thought you did.

40X60 will be a great size. Mine is 40X80 but like I said earlier, it's probably twice as big as I had my mind on when starting to look at properties.
I hope you resurrect your "New Digs" thread so I can see the details.

I just did see in another thread that you had posted questions about hauling your GTO on a Uhaul trailer behind your pickup. You won't have any problems. I wouldn't worry about panic stops but taking it easy on speed sure doesn't hurt either. On both trips I went 65 mph pulling those trailers behind their trucks. I didn't follow other cars or trucks very closely though. Especially in the bigger truck because the load in the truck was extremely heavy. Once we got into the snow with the bigger truck, I slowed down to 45 or so and kept even longer distances from what was in front of me.
The trips from San Angelo to Fort Collins took 2 days each. Stayed at a motel in Eads, CO both times. It's a pretty remote route and Eads is a very small town. I parked behind the building and didn't worry about security at all with the cars and didn't bother to put the car cover on for the night. Both cars got dirty but got washed in my shop right after getting them off the trailer. Sprayed them off under the hood and underneath as well. Everything gets dirty.

Old 03-31-2024, 04:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Roger ... yes, I have the plans, forgot about that ... still in my files, should have just looked at that.

And yes I did get that email (just checked) ... I get excited when you post something and I respond before checking my records

Got a lot going on right now, hard to keep everything straight. Been packing up the shop full of 34 years worth of tools this week.

Going to search real hard for an out of way motel, there are tons of them around here in NY but they seem very hard to find anywhere near an interstate.

When/if you start searching for a lift, post your success, I'll be doing that hopefully this year.

Man that 40x80 looks huge when it's mostly empty ... like you could drive in a circle in there.

Old 03-31-2024, 03:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Fantastic work!! Will be enduring this same work on my core support with limited skill set!!

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project
Old 03-31-2024, 10:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Roger ... yes, I have the plans, forgot about that ... still in my files, should have just looked at that.
And yes I did get that email (just checked) ... I get excited when you post something and I respond before checking my records
Got a lot going on right now, hard to keep everything straight. Been packing up the shop full of 34 years worth of tools this week.
Going to search real hard for an out of way motel, there are tons of them around here in NY but they seem very hard to find anywhere near an interstate.
When/if you start searching for a lift, post your success, I'll be doing that hopefully this year.
Man that 40x80 looks huge when it's mostly empty ... like you could drive in a circle in there.
Believe me, I know what it's like to forget stuff at a time like this! We've been in the new house now for 6 weeks now and feel like there is still an incredible amount of things to do. The good thing is that it is all fun now! But, the money is still flowing out with so many things we have bought and still have left to buy. But good news on that front. As of last Wednesday, we have a signed contract on our San Angelo property. Closing is set for June 3rd.

I'm not thinking about a lift for the shop at this point. Not sure I will. I prefer working underneath a car while it's on jackstands or Race Ramps I'm more comfortable on my back reaching up than I am standing up with my arms reaching above my head.

I have been thinking about a paint booth that would double for prep room for containing dust. Having a loft/mezzanine built will probably be the first thing I will concentrate on though (once my focus changes from the house to the shop.

Old 04-01-2024, 02:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Are you going to have to make a trip back down to close, or are you going to do it remotely?
Did you have to have a property management, or lawn service take care of the TX place while you are in Co?

We'll be making trips back and forth NY to TN probably four times from the end of April to the end of May ... at which time we'll kind of be done in NY. So during April we'll have a chance to mow the lawn and keep things nice ... but after that it would mean a $1000 round trip just to mow the lawn and check on the place ... so I'd like to avoid that scenario.

We are going to price the property quite aggressively in hopes of a very quick sale ... hopefully to someone with cash, although that's going to be quite an ask. We'd like to be all done physically and legally in NY by the end of June.

You know ... I feel the "need" for a lift even though ... yes, like you, give me a car about 2' off the ground and I'm more comfortable on my back ... I can bench press a lot more than I can lift over my head. Maybe my Quick Lift will be enough.

Of course you'll have a paint booth, it would be a huge waste of talent if you don't

Old 04-01-2024, 04:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is the rear brake line out of the MC a larger diameter than the front line or is that an optical illusion?

Old 04-01-2024, 05:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1 View Post
I am sure glad you gave me that tip! Thanks again. I had to put 1/16" thick washers behind the master just like you did. If you hadn't given me this tip, I can't imagine how long it might have taken me to figure out what was wrong! I think I would have have suspected a bad master cylinder first.

Updates:

Got the master cylinder installed and brakes bled using my vacuum bleeding canister. I always think I can do this without getting fluid on the floor but it seems to never work out that way.

I thought about painting the master with cast paint but decided to try something new this time. I had read that coating the bare cast iron with this protectant works well so I bought some to try. I haven't applied it yet though.
This is the post I was referring to - is the rear brake line 1/4” at MC vs the 3/16” front line?

Old 04-01-2024, 10:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Are you going to have to make a trip back down to close, or are you going to do it remotely?
Did you have to have a property management, or lawn service take care of the TX place while you are in Co?
We'll be making trips back and forth NY to TN probably four times from the end of April to the end of May ... at which time we'll kind of be done in NY. So during April we'll have a chance to mow the lawn and keep things nice ... but after that it would mean a $1000 round trip just to mow the lawn and check on the place ... so I'd like to avoid that scenario.
We are going to price the property quite aggressively in hopes of a very quick sale ... hopefully to someone with cash, although that's going to be quite an ask. We'd like to be all done physically and legally in NY by the end of June.
You know ... I feel the "need" for a lift even though ... yes, like you, give me a car about 2' off the ground and I'm more comfortable on my back ... I can bench press a lot more than I can lift over my head. Maybe my Quick Lift will be enough.
Of course you'll have a paint booth, it would be a huge waste of talent if you don't
I had a friend that I really trust recommend a moving company (owner and 3 employees). They did a great job for us and it turns out that he also does yard maintenance. So naturally, I went with him to cut the grass, trim and clean up leaves. Live Oak trees lose their leaves in February/March and make a big mess. That should be over with now. Had to pay extra for the added work but it should now be down to about $250 to just cut the grass, edge trim and blow. It will need to be done about every week to 10 days.

We are hoping we can do the closing from home. I would guess the buyer would like me to be there to transfer some of my knowledge about the property but maybe I can do that by phone or facetime if necessary. The 3 water wells / underground piping system is somewhat complicated.. The sprinkler system is kind of complicated as well. I've left some pretty good documentation though.

Old 04-01-2024, 10:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivera View Post
This is the post I was referring to - is the rear brake line 1/4” at MC vs the 3/16” front line?
That is correct. Correct for '69. I think this was the way it was done for many years.

Old 04-01-2024, 10:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Interesting- i wonder if it’s an A body thing- never noticed that on my 69 Firebird

Old 04-02-2024, 03:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

We are looking at a local company for the yard, same company that does the hospital where my wife works ("worked" as of this thursday), and our neighbor across the street is one of their contacts at the hospital. I'm hoping for something like $250 every couple of weeks.

I've been working on the "House Manual" for a couple of months now. All the documentation for the appliances and infrastructure and lots of notes from me on everything from the vineyard to what animals they can expect to see.

Thanks again for the advice and info.