Old 11-25-2021, 12:45 AM

Default 62 3-speed question

I have a '62 trophy 4 that runs pretty well and looks nice. The issue I have with driving it is that it grinds horribly going into 1st gear at a stop light (which I'm sad to admit is quite embarrassing) and sometimes going into reverse. I'm not very knowledgeable about the manual transaxle in those. Is that just how they are? (I had someone tell me that vintage might not have a synchro for going into 1st gear) If not, is it repairable?

If it's not repairable, how realistic would it be, assuming I could find the parts, to convert it to an automatic?

Old 11-25-2021, 02:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There is no syncro in these transaxles for 1st, or reverse, there are syncros for 2nd and 3rd. This is quite common for 3 speeds of that vintage. You need to learn to double clutch when going from 2nd to first if you want to shift it while the car is still rolling. Many people have no idea what double clutching is, but it's matching the unsynchronized gears to the speed of the engine, and the car, to get them to mesh. It's a required skill that needs practice to master it.

If you go on Youtube there are more than a few videos on the theory, and showing someone practicing double clutching a non synchro transmission.

Here's one video example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOO9fZAHyE4

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

The Following User Says Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2021, 08:05 AM

Does clutch pedal let out close to the floor? If so the clutch is to tight and probably dragging a bit. Try to adjust cable so it let out higher in pedal stroke. This may help too.

The Following User Says Thank You to Darren 639 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2021, 09:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If it grinds at a full stop, I used to select 2nd with the clutch engaged to stop the cluster and then put it in first. Worked every time

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
The Following User Says Thank You to 694.1 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2021, 03:42 PM

Thanks for all the responses! I will look into each suggestion. I haven't driven the car in a few months, and with it getting colder and into the busy holiday season I may wait until the spring to get it back out.

Old 11-29-2021, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 694.1 View Post
If it grinds at a full stop, I used to select 2nd with the clutch engaged to stop the cluster and then put it in first. Worked every time
It definitely does at full stop. The last time I drove it I gave quite a startle to a pedestrian crossing the street when I came to a stop and went to put it into 1st gear.

Old 11-29-2021, 10:26 PM

Yes as 694.1 stated dropping it in 2nd then shift into 1st while the cluster gear is stopped makes a huge difference in going into 1st or reverse engagement. Don’t install auto transmission you can get the bugs out. Automatic swap is an undertaking that would most likely take a full parts car to correctly accomplish

The Following User Says Thank You to Darren 639 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2021, 10:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When you start the car up,always put it in 2nd before putting it in rev or first.You will see the diff.Tom

The Following User Says Thank You to tom s For This Useful Post: